• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Pro controllers, how they cause a problem in tourneys, and how we can solve it

ICYoyo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ICYoyo
With the release of Smash Wii U, we have a ton of new ways to play. Of course they made the smart choice of including a way to use the Gamecube controller, but we also can use Wii classic controllers, the game pad, and Pro controllers... Pro controller is what I gravitated to, not being able to find the gamecube controller adapter right after the game release and even after getting one, I could not switch over because I got too use to the pro controller. Now I've started exploring the competitive scene and have been going to tournaments and meeting people in my area who play and it's great. Recently I've been hearing some big tourney's ban pro controllers. I understand why, the un-syncing for the controller is hard to manage, because yes you can hit the button and it will turn off, but as soon as a button is pressed, it'll turn back on and be synced to what ever consoles it was used on last. Now easy answer is to ban them, but what can we do to accommodate those who use the pro controller and what techniques can us pro controller users do to make sure we don't ruin sets?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I read a tournament rule set that allowed wireless controllers but mandated that players remove batteries when they are not playing.

I don't know all the techy stuff on how wireless technology works... but I suspect that could solve some problems.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Sol talked about this topic within a stream and said to remedy the Pro Controller issue, you would want to have it wired. Wired, meaning that the controller is plugged into the console charging while the battery is not in the controller. But even this wouldn't optimally fix the situation since someone could forget or even purposely leave it in to troll.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I think it's stupid how the competitive Smash community won't use wireless controllers. Don't get me wrong, I love the Gamecube controller, but I do find it baffling how the competitive Smash community still uses the same controller after 14 years whereas almost every other fighting game community goes with what's given to them.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
I think it's stupid how the competitive Smash community won't use wireless controllers. Don't get me wrong, I love the Gamecube controller, but I do find it baffling how the competitive Smash community still uses the same controller after 14 years whereas almost every other fighting game community goes with what's given to them.
There are people who use psone controlers still on StreetFighter, even to go as far to have an adapter for the xbox.
Most people would still only use Sticks. And will not switch, so yeah, GC controller is a personal fav for alot of people so they will stick to it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
What Raethien Raethien said. The Capcom-style arcade stick has been in use for 28 years (well, 23 if we're only going from SFII onwards, but that's really not that much difference) and people still aren't letting go of it, despite the fact that even a low-end one costs twice as much as a regular controller at least.

People have their preferences, and yes, sometimes those preferences are locked in with time. We like to pretend we're not rapidly speeding towards the nursing home here.

Seriously, Melee's been out for more than a full seventh of most of our total lifespans. That's ****ing depressing to think about.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
I love how it's possible to use so many controllers in Smash Wii U, and I think it's a big misopportunity not to allow all of them. By that I also mean Classic Controllers, Hori lookalikes, 3DS, and even Wii U Fightpads and Nunchucks for the few who prefer that (and Gamepads? Those are often an exception for some reason). Most tourneys in my area indeed use the rule of removing batteries as soon as the matches are over. I'm not sure how Pro Controllers work, but that is a great solution for anything that uses a WiiMote to connect.

ChrisTheSheriff

Smash Rookie
NNID
maximuslupis
Many people account it to Lag and whatnot, but thats bullcrap, I work in the media feild, and the only things that still need to be wired for optimal use is internet connection and live video/audio feeds (and like data transfer) but basic controller inputs sometimes move quicker through bluetooth technology plus bluetooth and NFC works diffrently than wifi or radio signals, so the whole idea of a pro controller interferring with another is kinda thrown out the window there... people just need to get with the times...

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Some bigger tournaments could afford to have named controller storage. So at the end of your match you hand your controller back to the designated person (with your name and such to identify you) and then check it out when your match starts. That way you're not relying on players to keep their promise to remove batteries and not interfere.

D

Deleted member

Actually, most players use arcade sticks, and wireless controllers are actually banned from fighting game tournaments. Smash Bros. is the one community where they will actually allow wireless controllers sometimes.

D

Deleted member

I couldn't agree more. People really need to give other controllers a chance, even if the GameCube controller is their favorite. It doesn't hurt to try them out.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Some bigger tournaments could afford to have named controller storage. So at the end of your match you hand your controller back to the designated person (with your name and such to identify you) and then check it out when your match starts. That way you're not relying on players to keep their promise to remove batteries and not interfere.
This may be doable...though it would only take one slip up for somebody to either get a controller lost, or replaced with an inferior one.

Question: How hard would it be to de synch them after every match, only start wireless matches when the other consoles aren't in use. (IE wait till the character/stage switch?)

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I also dislike how only Gamecube controllers are allowed in many places. After all, there are so many other controllers available, and you have to buy a separate adapter and possibly more controllers. I use Classic Controller Pro, which feels more natural to me than the Gamecube controller (mainly because both analogue sticks are on the bottom side of the controller), and yet I'm forced to use a 14 year old controller that I personally don't prefer. We should get this happening!

D

Deleted member

For the record, the only issue with using other controllers is that they are wireless. No one is condemning them for being different than the Gamecube Controller if someone wants to use it.

I want them in to, but at the same time, I understand tournaments have to move swiftly for TOs.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisTheSheriff

Smash Rookie
NNID
maximuslupis
I also dislike how only Gamecube controllers are allowed in many places. After all, there are so many other controllers available, and you have to buy a separate adapter and possibly more controllers. I use Classic Controller Pro, which feels more natural to me than the Gamecube controller (mainly because both analogue sticks are on the bottom side of the controller), and yet I'm forced to use a 14 year old controller that I personally don't prefer. We should get this happening!
Yeah I never understood it, I mean I love the gamecube controller, for games designed for that... to me the Wii Classic line is way better for project M than the GCC and Smash Wii U I prefer the gamepad and the pro... it can just be kind of wonky with the diffrent sized buttons, and one z button... it bothers me...

David Wonn

Smash Ace
[...] I understand why, the un-syncing for the controller is hard to manage, because yes you can hit the button and it will turn off, but as soon as a button is pressed, it'll turn back on and be synced to what ever consoles it was used on last. [...]
Here are my two cents to accommodate wireless controllers, coming from someone who plays 100% with GameCube controllers:

Why not have one Wii U set up at a tournament for the sole purpose of synchronizing players' wireless controllers who just finished their matches? This would be a dedicated "practice" console not being used for any official rounds, and would not even require characters / customs / DLC / etc. to be unlocked. Would this not settle the problem by ensuring only one Wii U gets impacted in the event of accidental button presses?

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Here are my two cents to accommodate wireless controllers, coming from someone who plays 100% with GameCube controllers:

Why not have one Wii U set up at a tournament for the sole purpose of synchronizing players' wireless controllers who just finished their matches? This would be a dedicated "practice" console not being used for any official rounds, and would not even require characters / customs / DLC / etc. to be unlocked. Would this not settle the problem by ensuring only one Wii U gets impacted in the event of accidental button presses?
This...is actually a great idea!

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
This may be doable...though it would only take one slip up for somebody to either get a controller lost, or replaced with an inferior one.

Question: How hard would it be to de synch them after every match, only start wireless matches when the other consoles aren't in use. (IE wait till the character/stage switch?)
Yeah, I was pondering it last night and realised it would be fairly difficulty to maintain. Especially if you're going to a large tournament with a lotta participants using wireless controllers. I would have suggested having the TOs keep a stock of batteries which are used for the wireless controllers, but that would cost too much Dx

BulkyJam

Smash Rookie
NNID
bulkiestjam
3DS FC
4098-2492-8436
I also exclusively use GameCube Controller, however, I live in a scene where there are quite a few Pro Controller users, so I've heard some opinions on the matter tossed around:

1. Take the battery out of the controller and exclusively use it via USB. This method works well in the sense that it makes it easy to plug in and out, however, the cord could potentially get stolen, so that makes this option a bit more of a no-go (unless you REALLY want to tag a Pro Controller cord, in which case, be my guest)
  2. Carry around a very narrow pointed object (like a pen or paper clip) and use that to hit the "kill switch" BESIDE the SYNC button. This seems to be more do-able
  3. Get a player who exclusively uses Pro Controller (like MVG_Sol for instance) to make a video/post or just give general exposure to how to deal with wireless controllers
There are options to solve this issue, people just don't explore them imo

ICYoyo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ICYoyo

I really like that idea. Very intuitive.

Top Bottom