• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Priority & recovery

FalcoLeetness

Smash Cadet
I have some questions about priority and recovery.

First, assuming the timing of 2 moves is the same, which move beats out the other move? Ok thats probably an impossible question because it depends still on so many issues like hitbox, character, etc etc, assuming 2 people attack at the same time though, is there a list of which moves have priority over others..ranked from like 100 to 1 or whatever on a scale..because I know certain moves have an extremely high priority like jigglypuff's forward+B , etc.. if i knew priority for moves i could possibly play better.

Another question regarding recoveries..I still really cannot ledge tech and i have no clue how is there a tutorial video? Also, is there a list of other moves chars can use to recover besides just up up and Up+B (minus Yoshi and puff), I mean I know a lot of them, obviously bomb jumping for samus, grapple, for link young link and samus, side+b for a lot of chars...but there are also certain moves that stall momentum that might help like fox & falco shine, maybe even some chars projectiles? I think it would be cool if there were a general recovery FAQ so I can get the most out of my recoveries. Ice climbers for one is very hard to recover horizontally unless you are up high, because the side B drops fast after a second..also this recovery guide could be linked a lot to how well you DI which makes a huge difference..like double stick teching at high percent and such..

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
For the priority thing its complicated, no one would dare do the work.

As for the recovery thing, test it out yourself. Its always good to have an advantage over people.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
For the priority thing its complicated, no one would dare do the work.

As for the recovery thing, test it out yourself. Its always good to have an advantage over people.
you really think there isn't someone obsessed enough to do this? there are people who find a way to count the number of frames of lag for every move a character has. Get superdoodleman on it, he's done a lot of stuff like this.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Priority is determined by.... uhm, just because. Jabs usually have lower priority. Projectiles, low. Charged Projectiles higher. Smashes really high.

Just practive for recovering. It's all about DI the hit in the altitude you need weather for mindgames or general uses.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
C.Falcon's and Gannons down-b will give you back your second jump.
Dis-jointed hit boxes i.e. swords,hammers,or any attack that isn't connected to the character will normally beat a hit box that is connected.

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
you really think there isn't someone obsessed enough to do this? there are people who find a way to count the number of frames of lag for every move a character has. Get superdoodleman on it, he's done a lot of stuff like this.
Hmm depending on how there isnt one at the moment, and the hundreds of variables that go into it, I stand by what I said.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hmm depending on how there isnt one at the moment, and the hundreds of variables that go into it, I stand by what I said.
Mew2King has a very in-depth essay on priority on his AOL site. Ctrl+F "priority" to make your life easier.

In general, priority is based on the power of the attack. All grabs > anything else.

Also, to edgetech: hug against the stage then press L at least 20 frames (1/3rd of a second) before you get hit and smash the control stick towards the stage when you get hit. If you did it right, then what should happen is that you'll be touching a wall and your character will move towards it during the hitlag if you smashed the direction properly (smash DI). Because you pressed L at least 20 frames before you got hit (also 20 frames before you touched the wall), you'll be able to tech or wall-jump (if you hold "up" on the control stick). At least, that's what I think happens when you edgetech. I could be wrong, but it's worked for me. As for recovering, watch matches of people using the character in question.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Um you can Ledge Tech with Yoshi and Jiggs it is just a lot tougher. You don't even have to be doing the Up-B to Ledge Tech either. I was playing a match at a friends house My Fox Vs. His Marth I Mid Air jumped up the side of the stage trying to get on and he tipped me but I Wall Jump Teched it.

Top Bottom