• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prima Official Game guide DK profile discussion

pyro363

Smash Journeyman
looking for youko and samurai panda at michigan st
Hey guys i got the prima guide for brawl and i want to share some dk info with ya.

First i'll start off with a brief bio:
He's a natural born leader who keeps busy buy beating up the cremlings and their boss King K. Rool. He loves bananas more than anything else.

Character rating:
Offense- 6 Defense- 5 Projectile- NA
Final smash- 6 Throwing Ability- 8 Speed- 6 Overall- 6

Special move breakdown:
Giant Punch-One of the most powerful attacks in the game but is slow at executing.
Head Butt-When an opponent is hit on the ground they are buried; In the air the opponent is slamed to the ground. While burried the opponent is burried.
Spinning Kong-One of the best recoveries in the game. Great for clearing out a crowd of opponents.
Hand Slap-Hits opponents in front and back. KO's only an opponent with high damage.
Final Smash Konga beat- You execute the attack in some weird way. Has great range.

General Strategies:
DK may have slow start up attacks but if hit they can KO at low damage. Always have his giant punch fully charged. Fighting on edge of stage is good to utilize DK's great KO rate. Burry them into the ground to begin a combo. Use throws as often as possible.
Advanced strategies:
Rely on standard attacks and combos. Use his throw because when you go to grab someone it has great range. Head butt an opponent in the ground then follow up with the giant punch for a great damage to the opponent.

KO potential and weight class:
DK is a heavyweight power house like he always was. He is one of the heivest characters with high attack power.

One vs One
Dk is best in small stages were he can corner opponents to give them great damage. Even with his speed on a large stage he can be pummeled by a faster opponent.

Free for all
More freedom to do slower more powerful attacks and actually have a chance to hit. Still use all those great edge guarding techniques we know and love.

So to be honest i love to use DK but this guide of him makes me really sad. I mean first his ratings are horrible i think olimar even got a 7. The bio they gave him was a punch of crap. They should have added more to it. And his final smash review was horrible. This is a book to help you and they don't even show how the best to do it. It sucks for the noobs. The stradegies were great but a little unemphazied. Well thats what i thought so what do you guys think. You can talk about anything DK. If you want to add something the book missed to it or if u want to comment on what the book says you can do that to. This thread is open for any kind of dicussion.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Here in a little while I was going to start a conversation about rating DK attributes, this is a good start, so let's hear specific YAY or Nay's and debate on a agreeable number with facts to back it all up.
I will update my numbers and stuff in a few days. =)

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Well, on that note … do any other characters suffer from the kind of lag after upB DK gets when he falls flat on his back?

Can that be consistently avoided with a bit of DI to extend or reduce time before hitting the stage? : /

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
The Prima guide is crap. Arbitrary numbers and half baked strategy isn't a huge help to anyone.

DK's UpB can be cancelled with auto sweetspot (do it near the edge and he grabs the edge as soon as he is in range), or by ending the upB just over land/platform and it cancels all lag.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
So to be honest i love to use DK but this guide of him makes me really sad. I mean first his ratings are horrible i think olimar even got a 7.
Haha what? Olimar is an excellent fighter, if anything a 7 is underrating him. 6/10 sounds fine for DK-- a little above average despite his flaws.

As far as the actual play strategies go: what do you expect from a strategy guide? Those things are great for single-player adventures, but competitive fighting games... yeah, not so much.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
It is better than the Mêlée guide — bio lifted straight from trophy descriptions, entirely worthless tips …

At least this time, they’re mentioning edge-guarding to the reader. :p

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
hmm, they really emphasize the throws there, are they that great?
No, DK's throws are kinda eh. Bthrow is nice to get them off the edge. Dthrow is nice for combos at lower %. People can escape most Cargo-U combos.

Personally I'd rather Side-B a shield than grab now anyways.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
No, DK's throws are kinda eh. Bthrow is nice to get them off the edge. Dthrow is nice for combos at lower %. People can escape most Cargo-U combos.

Personally I'd rather Side-B a shield than grab now anyways.
I wouldn't, not at all. You can gimp people on most stages with the cargo stage spike, or you can grab them, down-cargo to push them towards the edge.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Dk's throws are arguable the best non-tether grapples.

-Best range of any other non tether grapple
-Stage spike is cheap KO's ~50%
-SA frames on cargo allow stag ehazards and opponest hits to KO. (Teams OMG)
-Options, seriously, Cargo Ftoss, Cargo Utoss, Cargo Dtoss, Ftoss, Dtoss, Utoss, & Btoss. There's Combo potential, Edgeguard potential and KO potential on these. DK can pick up his opponent and WALK to the edge LOL.

Dk throw game is deadly.

DK's upB has amazing properties.

Grounded= SA frames, great recovery, his most damaging move.
Aeriel= Invnicibility on start up, ability to grab ledge, ability to completly cancel lag, his second most damaging move.

25jai

Smash Rookie
sry for being a noob. i havnt play any of the smash series, but want to learn dk.

I was wondering wat is cargo, and how u do it. cuz i have been reading, and see lots of mention of cargo.

I also read something about a combo from a down throw. what do u follow up after a down throw? an up titl attack?

Top Bottom