• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Preventing Spam by closing all topics that already exist: Good or Bad?

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
This is something I've noticed on a lot of forums. It seems reasonable.

Basically in places like this there's a strategy of closing all new threads and redirecting or merging them to the pre-existing thread. This is done to reduce spam. Make a new post about a leak? Well there is already one. So the mods close it and say "yo, you should post about this HERE" and often link it themselves.

Seems reasonable. It does reduce the amount of repetitiveness and "spam". But honestly I don't like it.

For one it makes many threads, especially the ones with popular topics, MEGA threads. Seriously there's like hundreds of pages on the popular threads. What's the problem here? Good lucky finding specific information! If I want to find out about each separate leak and where it comes from or the details I have to reach through dozens or more pages. It's tiring. It's ridiculous. And IMO it's just not worth the "cleaner" look on the forums.

Like you go to IGN or something and it's just a mess. I can see why you'd want to fix it. If there's something popular that happens then IGN will have dozens of threads about the same thing. It's sort of spam. But IMO not the really terrible kind that tries to get you to buy a weight loss product :p. But just a lot of disorganized and innocent conversation. However there's one thing that's good about that... it's a LOT easier to read and a LOT easier to find stuff.

You might think that it has as many things to read and look through as a MEGA THREAD but not really. In the leaks example if each leak had it's own thread (and extras from the repetitive nature that some people hate so much :p) you can usually find what you're looking for faster by the thread titles.
It's like having a giant stack of paper with one label that says "leaks" and another giant stack of paper that is 10x bigger, has a lot of repetitive stuff but has individual labels for each section (repetitive and repeated maybe but easier still).

Plus just personally I've never really been bothered by people posting something that's already been posted. Big deal. Someone is excited and didn't see or couldn't find the thread already about it :p. And again... it makes going through the information sooooo much easier.

I honestly feel the that the OCDness about making sure ALL leaks are in a specific thread or ALL of whatever info X is in thread X is just counter intuitive when it comes to ease of use and ease of finding information. The mess is worth it. And it doesn't make people leave or anything if you look at the biggest forums (where honestly it's probably unrealistic to mod to this degree since they're so big).

Those are my thoughts. Hard to read. Sick of having to go through 1000 pages.

Top Bottom