• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Preparing for a Tournament

manilamerc

Smash Cadet
What do you guys do to prepare for a tournament??

Do you take pills?
Train like crazy the day before?
mediation?

I'm thinking of joining a big one in Toronto and I want to know your thoughts on preparing for this.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Best things I'd think to do are:
- Practice of till your muscle memory knows what to automatically, so you won't have to think of how to do, but what to do.

- Make a small personal how goal to accomplish during the tourney. Let winning the full tourney be your last thought.

- As far as an stress reliever, exercise would be the best. This gives you more control over your body and emotions.

GL HF

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
In terms of gameplay:

Do not practice anything new 1-2 days before the tournament.
Work on whatever you already know, and practice on getting it perfect. If you try to incorporate something new right before a tournament, it will distract you during the match.

Practice Tech Skill
No matter what game you're playing, there is always a technical aspect to it. The worst thing to happen in a tournament match is when you lose because of an SD, or because you flubbed a wavedash/L cancel/b-reverse.

In terms of personal things:

Go the **** to sleep.
A lot of players tend to practice the entire night before, and go to the tournament tired. From my experience, this is detrimental to your performance. Practice, then sleep. If you wake up early, play for an hour or two before you head out to the venue.

Eat breakfast.
There is no guarantee that you will have a lunch break at big events, and there is no guarantee you'll even WANT a lunch break with all of the new players around. Make sure to have a filling breakfast, so you can go as long as possible without food; that way you can get more friendlies in~

Bring water.
I have made it a habit to buy a gallon/2 liter jug of water before a tournament, and carry it with me all day. Staying hydrated helps you in so many ways there's no point in even listing them.

Have fun.
Sounds stupid right? It isn't. Your goal should NOT be to win the tournament, unless you already know you have a real shot at it. Play as many people as you can, get as much experience as possible. This is how you improve the fastest. If you are not having fun while you do this, you might as well quit. Remember, it's still just a game, the point of playing is to have fun.

Handles

Smash Cadet
1 thing I do is go into training mode and figure out what percentage i need to get my opponent for a garunteed kill move. As such, I try to figure out the lowest percentage needed, and as many different set-ups I can get around that percentage, so I can have multiple ways to quickly finish a stock (e.g. Can I throw kill? Can I up-toss to up-air?). Although, in reality, it would be better to do this durring your regular training, not just before a tournament.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Since you mentioned you're looking at attending a Toronto tournament, best way to prepare is to leave half an hour earlier than expected to account for inevitable TTC delays ;)

Last edited:

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
When going to a Tournament you need to do 3 things in a healthy matter.

Sleep
------------
Practice
-------------
Learn
--------------
Bring water to for me it helps me focus but for everybody else i don't know haha. For practice you should try getting a friend and try to master new things and practice things you have mastered. Like for example if you can't wave dash 5 times in a row with out messing up you should try wave dashing up to 5 times with messing up, after that try going up to 10 times 15, 20 you can keep on practicing until you get the hang of it. Learning for experience and for winning is a really good way to get better as in if you win a tournament learn from what you did that made you win.

I hope you do good :)

Top Bottom