• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Preferred controls for KD3?

Mr-Grinch

Smash Rookie
Hi, im new to the Smashboards and im glad to find that the cult of the omnipotent King DeDeDe is alive and well.

I was browsing around forums for the characters i enjoy playing and stumbled upon a thread like this in the sheik forums and thought "these type tips could be great for aspiring KD3 players!"

So lets hear it resident pros! What controllers and controls do you prefer to utilize when smiting the enemies of our great king?

P.S. sorry i cant link to the original sheik thread, you need at least ten posts.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
GameCube is obviously beneficial due to the octagonal gate around the control stick, but I'm sticking with the Pro Controller.

Makzutheamazing

Smash Cadet
I have my right stick set to attacks so i can do tilts easier and avoid doing accidental f-smashes. Considering how slow that damn thing is its going to be useful. I also put tilt jumps off, as dededes up tilt can kill at high percents and its comes out relatively quick.

Mr-Grinch

Smash Rookie
Has anyone experimented with changing jump to the right trigger, shield to the left and X/Y to grab?

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I use a pro controller currently because gamecube adaptors are about as plentiful as unicorns around my parts.

My controller set up isn't something exclusive to DeDeDe but I put jump on the Right trigger, shield on left trigger and grab on the right bumper, with the right stick set to do tilts and tap jump off. I do this since it allows me to manage my aerial attacks and jumping simultaneously, whereas if I had assigned jump to one of the face buttons I would have to constantly alternate my thumb between the attack and jump buttons.

With jump on the trigger I can easily position myself and attack at the same time. Makes retreating fairs and advancing bairs much easier in my opinion. Takes some adjustment if you've never played that way before but I'm personally of the opinion the trigger is the best place for the jump button.

fishiecracker

Smash Rookie
NNID
fishiecracker
I use a gamecube controller with tap jump off, with X for jump and Y for grab
I use the same controller layout no matter who I am playing though

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Tap jump off, R set to Jump, defaults otherwise. R for jumps is less for Dedede's sake and more for when I mess around with Charizard or Sonic. A lot of players (not just D3s) seem to prefer c-stick set to tilts, and for a number of good reasons. I just don't want to do that though. Personally, I'd like to keep my controls consistent between all Smash games if at all possible. The only reason I make an exception for tap jump is mostly because any of the stuff you can do out of shield that relies on that can be done using R as jump instead.

Besides that, the issue with the c-stick possibly canceling out momentum can be avoided if you just flick the stick. Since I do that anyways (people hold the stick when doing aerials?) I don't need to worry about it.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
On my 3DS all I did was turn tap jump off and swap shield and grab. I find it more intuitive.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The only change I made was changing the c-stick to attack instead of smash.
Being able to pull out f-tilt on a dime has been very helpful.~

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I feel so inferior to your fancy layouts. :scared:

I primarily just use a default 3DS with the default controls. If I need to use the GamePad, I'll make the two right triggers shield, the left triggers to grab, and the c-stick to attack.
I suppose I turn tap-jump off sometimes, but it's almost always for when I'm playing around with Zelda or Jigglypuff, so not really all that applicable for the Dedes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom