• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing with Xbox Controller

HaiMatoX

Smash Rookie
I had a question about practice equipment. This is the current setup in my dorm room- oh wait. There isn't one. Starting next semester, my roommate is bringing a full setup including the CRT, Wii, and Melee. As of now, however, I am limited to my laptop running Melee on an emulator, using an Xbox 360 controller (I don't have a USB GC adapter). I've been doing this for the past few weeks, fighting CPU's and trying to get the feel for the tech down. Here's the problem: I'm worried that using the Xbox controller could create bad habits and screw with the muscle memory when I eventually switch back to the GC controller. If all this is just in my head and won't actually make any difference, just say so.

Here are some of the major differences between the two controllers. The biggest possible issue to me is the way the buttons feel. A GC controller has buttons that are easy to press and give little resistance before activating, whereas an Xbox controller has buttons that are much more resistant. A laptop chiclet keyboard versus the very heavy Model M keyswitch, if you will. I have noticed that this makes short-hopping significantly more difficult and inconsistent.

Another issue are the trigger/shoulder buttons. On a GC controller, the shoulder buttons have the very light pressure for 95% of the motion, which transfers to a solid click for the last 5%. An Xbox controller has the same heavy pressure for the entirety of the motion. It might just be me, but the extra force required to press the trigger has thrown off my wavedashing when I do play on the GC controller. Last, and probably the most superficial, are the analog sticks. Both sticks on the Xbox are concave and have smooth 360-degree motion, whereas the GC has convex thumbsticks which have the classic octagonal notches.

Again, it's entirely possible that it is an easy transition, and I am worrying about this way more than I should. Also, TIL that the Xbox is spelled with a capital X. I always thought it used the iPhone notation, with a capital B.

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
Depends on how you hold the controller, I guess. They're a little bit differently shaped.

Personally, I play with my thumb on the C-stick and my index finger on Y, so it's a bit to get used to for me, but assuming you're holding the controller like a normal person, you should be fine.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
For me the biggest problem is that the lower analog stick on the xbox controller is raised, making it much harder to move my thumb up and down. Also the analog sticks have much more resistance and the right hand buttons are in totally different spots.

I don't think it will be an easy transition, so maybe focus more on learning strategies than on tech skill? When I tried to use an Xbox 360 controller to play rivals of aether, none of my tech skill carried over. Even the most basic stuff like Up-B was a struggle (That one was mostly because I kept getting the attack and special buttons mixed up).

Top Bottom