• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing true combos with 20XX

gapw

Smash Cadet
Lately, I've been studying basic percents. Something I did today was go to training mode in 20XX on Battlefield , set the percent to always reset to 70 percent (well past being CC-able, I believe), and then practice possible followups I could get from dash attack. What I found sort of surprised me- once I popped up an opponent with dash attack at this percent, I was able to get incredible true combos that could place the opponent into an edgeguard situation almost every time, even with the random DI. With a little bit of practice it seemed like through getting one dash attack at this percent I would be able to put the opponent off the stage or even kill them. Even if they ended up on a platform, I recalled hearing recently that Sheik could cover most of the opponent's platform tech options with down air and still have time to followup with a grab or dash attack if it whiffed. Taking all of this into mind, it seemed like getting a Fox to 70 percent on BF and getting a dash attack could lead to a KO with a bit of practice.

This is just one scenario. I'm now considering trying out most major percentage ranges and seeing what possible followups I can get from a grab, forward tilt, or dash attack can get the best results. But I'm already suspicious of my supposed results. One part of me wants to trust that being able to get true combos leading to a KO almost every time from a certain move from a certain percent with 20XX's random DI means that I have found a reliable punish. But the other part of me thinks that it's too good to be true.

Because I was able to get such nice combos just reacting to the opponent's DI from a dash attack, I'm hesitant to accept that 1) the punishes I found today are actually real and 2) that practicing true combos on 20XX is a legitimate way to develop punish game. I was very excited to start learning Sheik and optimizing my punish game based on percentages and the random CPUs of 20XX, but some of my recent discoveries just seem to good to be true.

Ministry

Smash Ace
couple things, are you resetting your stale counter? if u use your dash attack too much it becomes stale and has different properties. I think you need to use 8 more moves before it goes back to becoming a fresh dash attack. i think its 9 slots.

Also, at 70% if you dash attack and they DI away, you cant follow much.

If they DI in or behind, you can tipper upsmash

at 70% to 90% ftilt leads to tipper upsmash if they DI in.

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
Also Shiek's combos are weight based. For example: d-tilt combos into f-tilt against fox around 70% while against say Mario d-tilt leads straight to fair or nair. Another fun fact is that Shieks Dair can chain into more dairs or a fair. Following up on Shieks punish game: tech chase. Sheik has sheit for approach options. Needles and tech chase until you get that 40-60% from there just edge guard them. Hell if you can edge guard them at 0%. Sheik exchanges your opponets mistakes with death not more %.

Top Bottom