• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing Marth Punish Game

Hipstarr

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to focus on improving my really weak punish game. I find myself failing to follow up with fairs and grabs where better Marth players always succeed. Any general tips on how to practice and improve punishes?

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
What I do in 20XX Training Pack (20XX has random DI which is very useful for practice):
  1. Training Mode
  2. Choose Character to practice punishing
  3. Choose stage to practice punishing on
  4. Set CPU to Stand
  5. Set CPU damage to ~30%
  6. Place CPU in center stage
  7. Press D-Pad right to save state
  8. Begin punish attempt.
  9. Press D-Pad left to load state
  10. Repeat 7 - 9
What I do then is practice following up from several of the most common options Marth has in neutral. SHFFL F-air is a good example. Every time I drop combo, I'll load state. There will be times when you load your state and the CPU will be stuck teetering on a platform. You can use these times to practice follow-ups from hitting someone on a platform. Over time you'll get a good feel of what kind of follow-ups to expect against certain characters.

Try to keep your combos efficient. For example, when practicing on Falcon, end the combo by pushing him off stage to force his Up-B. Against spacies, make sure you're doing the correct Up-throw follow-ups for each percentage range. Put on some music you like and just play around. Don't forget to practice punish game on mid-tiers or a low-tier every now and then.

Last edited:

Hipstarr

Smash Rookie
What I do in 20XX Training Pack (20XX has random DI which is very useful for practice):
  1. Training Mode
  4. Set CPU to Stand
  8. Begin punish attempt.
  10. Repeat 7 - 9
What I do then is practice following up from several of the most common options Marth has in neutral. SHFFL F-air is a good example. Every time I drop combo, I'll load state. There will be times when you load your state and the CPU will be stuck teetering on a platform. You can use these times to practice follow-ups from hitting someone on a platform. Over time you'll get a good feel of what kind of follow-ups to expect against certain characters.

Try to keep your combos efficient. For example, when practicing on Falcon, end the combo by pushing him off stage to force his Up-B. Against spacies, make sure you're doing the correct Up-throw follow-ups for each percentage range. Put on some music you like and just play around. Don't forget to practice punish game on mid-tiers or a low-tier every now and then.
Jus wanna say I've been doing this for like an hour a day for the past few days and I feel like I have a much better understanding of the game already. I'm gonna keep doing this cause it seems to be working really well. Thanks man.

Bubbles28

Smash Rookie
  1. Training Mode
  4. Set CPU to Stand
  8. Begin punish attempt.
  10. Repeat 7 - 9

Good stuff. Gonna try this

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Jus wanna say I've been doing this for like an hour a day for the past few days and I feel like I have a much better understanding of the game already. I'm gonna keep doing this cause it seems to be working really well. Thanks man.
Every day is good! Keep it up.

Top Bottom