• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing L cancelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosuruss

Smash Rookie
hey, at first i was practicing l canceling by drillshining, but i read in a sticky not to do that.

what is an effective way to practice l cancelling and know that you've l canceled?

thanks for any help

i tried to search for some l cancel threads but didn't really work :$.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
there are some threads on it already (maybe in general discussion), but whatever. put an empty controller in and reset the control stick to auto CC, make it bowser, set his hadicap to 9, yours to 1, and put the damage ratio on .5

then shffl into it or full hop or whatever. this lets you practice as if you were hitting someone/ someones shield.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
sounds pretty good and if you dont know how to reset the control stick just hold down start Y and X for 3 seconds then let go of start Y and X.

brdy_

Smash Lord
They mean hold up on the control stick on the idle Bowser's controller, then reset the calibration. Let go and Bowser will always CC your attacks.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
It changes the 0-x and 0-y location of the joystick axis to the position you were holding it in while resetting it.

Thus if you want to reset the stick to auto-CC, just hold the control stick up all the way while you reset it.

EDIT: Dang, brdy beat me to it.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
there are some threads on it already (maybe in general discussion), but whatever. put an empty controller in and reset the control stick to auto CC, make it bowser, set his hadicap to 9, yours to 1, and put the damage ratio on .5

then shffl into it or full hop or whatever. this lets you practice as if you were hitting someone/ someones shield.
Scotu definitely knows what he's talking about here. I personally asked him how to practice stuff like this and tried his advice. Within a couple days drillshine infinite against a wall was no problem. It really gives you a chance to work on you tech skills especially with Fox. Being able to do this with Fox makes L Canceling with everyone else seem so much easier especially when working with the drill cause it forces you to watch his feet till you get the timing down. Once you can handle that, adding on a wavedash seems pretty straight forward which is the entire goal.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
reseting the control stick doesnt seem to be working for me. Can you explain it better? thx
any time (preferably during the match so it's easier to pick a stage) hold up on the bowser's control stick. now you have two options: unplug the controller and replug it in, or hold x&y&start for 3 seconds (you know when this is done becuase the control stick icon in the pause screen will center itself).

kerploplesteesh

Smash Journeyman
wow, i wish i would have known that when i had my l-cancel troubles. Great tips, and as for knowing if you l cancelled, you get an eye for it after a while, but follow up your shffls with a shine, you'll know if you've done it because the shine comes out a lot faster.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
yeah, i recently heard about the starman trick, but that require that you shffl w/o c-stick, so i could only use that for nair/ dair

SCOTU

Smash Hero
practicing in training mode, and generate a starman, let your opponent get it, then shffl into them, more accurately simulates a shield than shffling into a person.

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
I get it now. I noticed that the same thing happens when the CPU is coming off the regeneration platform when you kill it. I think it has the same effect but doesn't last as long.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
when ppl are invincible, from either a starman of respawn (or even by hitting their sheild), any hit adds additional lag not simulated by the bowser trick. that is what the starman trick is for. Personally, i rubber band a controller's l button in, and just pillar it a bunch, then multishine it until it breaks, but that's just for fun, and hopefully for scaring the hell out of ppl.

xelad1

Smash Ace
i just put starmans on very high and have a player 2 controller plugged in and then pillar him after i get him a starman, a little more work but it works fine for me, you could have each one be a fox so you can alternate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom