• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practicing B-less

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Just something I've been toying with that I'm wondering if it's a viable practice. Occasionally I've been playing with minimal or no use of my specials, not for any sort of self-imposed challenge but to get a better feel for the Dog's moves. I'm wondering if this is a viable way to practice a smaller facet of his game, or is it a detriment because the entirety of his moveset is meant to work in concert?

I will say, I think some people freeze up when they get a Duck Hunt Dog just rushing them down without the normally imminent can, pigeon, or gunman. Might be skewing my results

proxibomb

Smash Clown
It's a good idea to practices moves, but I'd just stick with combos if you aren't going to use specials. Practice moving around and attack WHILE you navigate the can, as that is something very important for DH.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
This and also creating traps. For example bair on can hits can pretty far away but when you navigate it bounces back the opposite direction.

Is there a full list of how dhd's moves control the can?

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
This and also creating traps. For example bair on can hits can pretty far away but when you navigate it bounces back the opposite direction.

Is there a full list of how dhd's moves control the can?
I think we're still figuring it out. XD

duckhuntplayer

Smash Rookie
i think there is some value to this. playing b-less forces you to learn duck hunt's spacing together and how to fight yourself out of a close-quarters jam. it can actually be done; i've been trying this lately. i think it's actually a good thing to do because ultimately you need to understand your range and how to get the kills. i also found it was forcing me to break bad habits (rolling too much); and besides short hop->dair into an opponent is almost unpunishable if you understand your opponent(will he grab? sidestep? attempt to smash? ftilt or utilt? jab? shield up? or just roll away).

also it feels like it makes my projectiles more unpredictable. i had begun using clay pigeon WAYYYYYY too much because its really effective against inexperienced matchups but is super punishable when someone is rushing and power shields it.

also feel like its good practice to do just normal attacks PLUS only using one other B-move. gives you a better sense of the parameters of that move. the can is obviously good to start. then synthesize into higher play levels ... offense + 1 b move... offense + 2 b moves ... offense + all b moves and all of a sudden you realize hey your duck hunt is looking a lot better.

least that's what i think!

duckhuntplayer

Smash Rookie
BAD THING: it can make matches go very long sometimes, because you need to dance around and be very precise to land shorthop -> fastfall hits with fair and bair. the timing is very precise and is harder as the characters get shorter. however! if you practice it on olimar/the can then i think you'll be good for everyone else.

edit: my bad, just immediately posted a second post like this was facebook messenger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom