• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Practice with Tech Skill?

Tik

Smash Rookie
So I decided to pick up maining Fox, aside from my usual Falcon, as I'm assuming playing a technical character is a good way to build up technical skill; However, I'm not so sure as to how I should go about acquiring this skill and/or what I should focus on.

[COLLAPSE="Here's what I'm doing do far."]
Here's a link if that's too small. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC-NtTtrAsM
Apologies for the angle being so strange. I had to hold the camera in quite an awkward position.
[/COLLAPSE]
I'm essentially just playing around and doing whatever comes to mind.
I've been training like this with Fox for around two days or so and I've seen some decent results as far as wavedashing and other tricks go, but is there anything that I should try to practice on more so than anything else? Anything that could help me train faster/better than I already am?

I've also set up my controller to where the 'R' trigger only inputs when clicked, to assist with wavedashing. Is this a bad habit, or will it be negatable once I'm skilled enough?

Last edited:

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
So I decided to pick up maining Fox, aside from my usual Falcon, as I'm assuming playing a technical character is a good way to build up technical skill; However, I'm not so sure as to how I should go about acquiring this skill and/or what I should focus on.

[COLLAPSE="Here's what I'm doing do far."]
Here's a link if that's too small. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC-NtTtrAsM
Apologies for the angle being so strange. I had to hold the camera in quite an awkward position.
[/COLLAPSE]
I'm essentially just playing around and doing whatever comes to mind.
I've been training like this with Fox for around two days or so and I've seen some decent results as far as wavedashing and other tricks go, but is there anything that I should try to practice on more so than anything else? Anything that could help me train faster/better than I already am?

I've also set up my controller to where the 'R' trigger only inputs when clicked, to assist with wavedashing. Is this a bad habit, or will it be negatable once I'm skilled enough?
Preface: My tech skill isn't good. I also don't play spacies, so take with a grain of salt.
I'd say some of that sort of stuff is fine, getting WDs and Wavelands down and comfortable, practicing wavelanding on the edge, so you don't SD when you need to in-game etc. Remember to practice SHFLLs, L canceling is an immense help to keep things running smoothly in a match. Try to learn to do things as comfortably as possible, meaning it's all muscle memory. I would probably do a lot of the same technique over and over to have it etched into my brain.

Remember to practice with your attacks connecting too, because you may learn to waveshine, for example, but once you add the hitlag of the shine your timing will fall apart. I plug in a second controller and use vs. mode instead of training, so I can use my c-stick. I think I read somewhere to use the handicap function, and maybe turn the damage ratio down to practice shield pressure so you'll get the hitlag. I'm assume there's no negative effects of using those to practice, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable about that lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom