• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

powershield stun formula?

flamingo!

Smash Rookie
Do you know the formula of powershield stun in melee?(Which isn't the one against projectiles.)

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Powershield doesn't modify shieldstun.

Full shield stun = RoundDown (200/201 * (0.45 * RoundDown(dmg) + 2))

flamingo!

Smash Rookie
Powershield doesn't modify shieldstun.

Full shield stun = RoundDown (200/201 * (0.45 * RoundDown(dmg) + 2))
Really!? I tried counting both frames of ordinary shield stun and powershield stun, then there was difference of stun frames.

flamingo!

Smash Rookie
Which scenario exactly (Move / hitbox) and characters?
I'm Japanese so my English might be crazy, sorry.
Falco's fsmash to falco's shield. shield stun is 9f on the calculation.
In this case, I found that if LR has been pressed until 1st frame of getting hit, it makes a negative effect.(Even if pressing LR for 1f, the shield appears for 8f.)

If getting hit within 4f from appearing shield, you can powershield, above press makes shield stun frame increase extra 1f.

If getting hit between 5f~8f, above press causes 4f~1f delay of turning off the shield with no OoS option.(But it's not shield stun so able to jamp, roll, etc.) This causes for example a little delay of fsmash after shield.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I'm getting 9f shieldstun consistently from falco fsmash regardless. Are you sure the fsmash wasn't staled in some of your experiments? Once staled clean fsmash does only 8f stun.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It also may have been misspaced; there is a weak hitbox at the very end of the animation that does 14% instead of 17% (8 frames of stun instead of 9).

flamingo!

Smash Rookie
I got 10f shield stun on powershield.(hit lag is consistently 8f.) what's happen...

flamingo!

Smash Rookie
It also may have been misspaced; there is a weak hitbox at the very end of the animation that does 14% instead of 17% (8 frames of stun instead of 9).
Please watch these videos. https://imgur.com/a/4R0MJuF
In the first one 1f-pressed PS stun is 9f so I can jamp at 10th frame.
In the second one, L has been pressed until getting hit and then I can't jamp at 10th
frame.It becomes possible at 11th frame.

Though I tried powershielding marth's fsmash tipper instead, that press also made 1 more shield stun.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Please watch these videos. https://imgur.com/a/4R0MJuF
In the first one 1f-pressed PS stun is 9f so I can jamp at 10th frame.
In the second one, L has been pressed until getting hit and then I can't jamp at 10th
frame.It becomes possible at 11th frame.

Though I tried powershielding marth's fsmash tipper instead, that press also made 1 more shield stun.
Your videos do not have input display (text) enabled so it's hard to really say what's going on. I believe you may have released shield for 1 frame in the second video, and then jumped a frame late. If you let go of shield, you are unable to jump for 1 frame, and the animation looks very similar to the blocking animation. I don't know what else could be causing the difference, so I am pretty confident that is the cause.

If you test it yourself, make sure to use input display so you will know for sure. Also, instead of alternating Y and X, I find it easiest to hold L/R and hold C-stick up to buffer the jump.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
What happens in the vid isn't extra stun, it's different starting action-state after shield stun depending if shield input was released or not before the block.

If shield buttons are released before the block, the blocker will start straight out of GuardOff (shield release action-state). If shield was still pressed on block, he'll enter Guard(shield) once shield stun is over. GuardOff has higher priority than other options from Guard , and it overrides the jump input on the first actionable frame in the 2nd vid. The blocker would've been able to jump by holding shield button on the first actionable frame.

In the first vid shield buttons were released before block, so the blocker was in GuardOff already on the first actionable frame and was able to jump.

flamingo!

Smash Rookie
C-stick was out of my mind,.Thanks!
Oh, I didn't know the prriority of GuardOff. That makes sense.
Thank you Bones0 and tauKhan!

Top Bottom