• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

POWER TO THE PLUMBER! A Mario guide.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
Just a little guide I threw together, and my first one at that.
Hope you get some use out of it.

1. gameplay
2. strategies
3. recovery
4. counters
5. overall

1. Gameplay

In my experience, Mario is a character best played in somewhat of a 'blitz' style, because of his powerful attacks against most charcters, and can just jump right in and start beating them around. He is quick, but sometimes not quick enough, so learning to utelize certain moves and combos for key situations is an important factor when playing as Mario, especially against notoriously speedy characters. Wavedashing can certainly help in the speed department, but it's not entirely necessary.
Short hopping, fast falling, and L-cancelling are very key to good Mario gameplay though. If you are not that proficient in those areas, you will want to get the hang of them before trying to fine tune your Mario game, sice they will help him out in terms of speed and proficientcy when performing combos.

2. Strategies

Jump, jump, JUMP! Or short hop actually, but you get the picture. Short hoping is the so-called catalyst in many of Mario's good combos. Short hop, fast falling and L-cacelling into a down or forward aerial is the best way to start off the combo. Once you land, a quick up tilt or triple A attack can be a good follow up, then you can add in whatever you wish, as long as it works effectively. (ie. chains into previous moves). Using a fast falled down aerial into up tilt is best done at low %s though, other wise the up tilt sends them too highy to chain into another attack.
At the start of a battle, a good strategy is 'fire ballin'', or spamming fire balls. If the opponent makes a mad dash for you, short hop backwards, fire a ball, and repeat until they're almost right next to you. This way the balls will stun them out of any combo starter they may try to do. If you have the opponent on the run, do the same, except hop forward. This way the balls will act as 1. a shield and 2. a means of starting a combo.
Any opponents comming from the air should be dealt with using Mario's sex or aerial back kick, because of their priority and surprising devestation. His back aerial is esspecially good in way of his 'wall of pain*' maneuver. *( left or right short hopping into back aerial repeatedly. Works best at low damage %s.)
His up aerial can also be used in a great, but hard to master, juggle. If anyone has seen some of Tetsuya's vids, you'll know what I mean. For those of you in the dark, I'm refering to juggling your opponent across the stage with repeated short hop, fast fall, up aerials. The damage racks up decently and it can easily be comboed into when perfected. It really must be done by using the C-stick though, since trying to use his up aerial and fast fall with the same control stick can easily cause you to slip up.
Remember to utelize his tilts as well, mostly forward and up. Down can sometimes be used to literaly trip up your opponents, but it must be done at the right time. Up is best used in combos and juggles, while forward can be used to knock back opponents and set them up for combos. Don't underestimate Mario's three A punch kick attack, it can be used in quick bursts to add on damage. Use running short hop sex kicks to get into your opponent's face with ease. Plus they can be deadly at high %s.
And of course we can't forget the cape, the bane of projectile spammers. It's best use in combat is just that; returning enemy projectiles. I know it can turn the opponent around, but this can easily be countered on the ground. That purpose is best suited for edgegaurding, either when the opponent is close to grabbing on the the ledge, or after they stop flashing after grabbing on.

3. Recovery

Mario's recovery ability is actually one of the best in the game to me, but quite a few people are still struggling to grasp the full concept. This mostly stems from the use of his down and B move. Most Mario players know to use his cape and up and B for recovering, but his down and B can sometime be the difference between survival and plummeting to the depths of the stage. Take note those of you who have trouble with Down and B recovery:
Mario's down and B should only be used when Mario is falling from a higher level then the stage. This means that if he is still far away and high above at the same time, THEN and only THEN should you use down and B for recovery. It will help him to get great horizontal distance, as well us propel him upwards. The cape and up and B can THEN be used to, hopefully, get back on the stage. Most people make the mistake of using down and B when Mario has already dropped below the level of the stage. Doing so is a GREAT error, as it causes lag after he finishes his spin, which in turn steals away ANY chanc of him grabbing the ledge.

4. Counters

Mario's speed is one of his key weaknesses. Against characters like Marth, Falco, and Fox, he can really have a hard time. Throw in the fact that Marth's sword and ungodly grab range can spell trouble, and Falco's blaster can really ruin your day. Their speed is what's really the big factor here though. You're best bet is to use the aformentioned hit-and-run style, as well as fireballin' to even the playing field.
Also, grabbing can be one of Mario's best friends in a heated battle. Throwing down is one of the best ways to set up combos, and throwing back can get them out of you hair long enough to formulate a strategem. Although these tips will help, in the long run, Mario will still have a tough time against speedy characters. Building up damage from afar and then moving in for the finishing blow is your best strategy in such battles.

5. Overall

Overall, Mario is a versitile character that, if used correctly, can be a very good character. If taken to a higher level, he can be one of the best in the game. Against fast characters though, he will have some difficulty. Just knowing how to use the moves he has available and incorporating basic techniques used by most really good smashers can bring you a step closer to mastering the powerhouse plumber.

If there are questions that were not answered, feel free to post in this thread about them and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not bad, but could use more detail. Matchups, Move list, specific combos..etc etc.

And Marios recovery is not one of the best in the game, nowhere in that neighborhood, although it's by no means terrible. I give it a decent.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
All I needed was some input from readers, so now I know what else to add into it thanks to your suggestions. Con't know WHEN I'll add it in, but I will sometime.

And about Mario's recovery being 'one of the best', I was kind of out of it during the typing process and said that. It IS good though, no arguing that.

Dismojoe

Smash Apprentice
Today in one of the videos I was watching on the DC++ hub for Super Smash Bros I saw Mario do something cool with his Down B recovery. He had just gotten hit by a short hopped f-air by CF and was flying away and then he used Down B. It completely stopped his momentum and moved Mario closer the stage. It acted like a Down B reflector for Fox/Falco. It stopped the momentum of the character in mid air.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
I'm afraid that's not the case,I tried it for myself.

Mario will still be stunned for a while before he can do his down and B, and before that, most people will be tilting their control stick in the opposite direction, to DI the attack. Down and B isn't really stopping Mario all that much. Heck, he may even be KO'd before he can use it. The fact is, whoever was playing Mario must have DI'd Falcon's attack.

Neophos

Smash Ace
Marios recovery is not one of the ebst. it sucks.

ok, Docs is worse, but not many are worse then Mario.

and its a bit short. More info on match ups, moves, damage, skins, everything!!

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
nice guide...i personally prefer not to see descriptions of the moves and stuff....i mean, if u don't know the moves already, u should play the game more.

the most important info in any guide can be characer matchups, knowing what mario can abuse on certain characters and what style combos he should use.
all this "forward tilt, a long reach attack dealing bla bla damage and priority of blabla"
its not really saying anything we don't know already. Just my opinion, anyway
i prefer just to explain the circumstantial uses for them

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Neophos
Marios recovery is not one of the ebst. it sucks.
ok, Docs is worse, but not many are worse then Mario.
Can you back up that statement?
And besides, didn't you read my post that said why I said it was one of the best?

The reason I went so 'in depth' about describing the combos is because I had a feeling that a majority of the readers would be n00bs, so I wanted to make it as easy for them to comprehend as possible.

Hopefully I be able to update before school starts, since I'll be REALLY busy when it does.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
Hey, if you don't have any constructive criticism or compliments about my guide to post, then don't post!

I'm starting to think that this whole 'posting a guide' idea was a little premature. I feel like I'm in WAY over my head -_-.

Neophos

Smash Ace
Zero, he said it was nice. what do you wanty him to do, kneel down and kiss your feet and pray to the goodlyness of this guide??

and yes, i can back up that statement. we can go through the whole crew, if thats what you want.

NOTE: This is ONLY recovery. ability to get edgeguarded is NOT accounted for.

Doc: he has worse. worse cape, worse down B.
Luigi: better horizontal, because of his smash B. misfire gives a nice boost.
Bowser: better horizontal, not as good vertical.
Peach: do i have to answer here??
Yoshi: His second jump gives a nice length. better then anything Mario can dish out.
DK: better horizontal, worse vertical.
C. Falcon: dunno here.
Ganondorf: bettr horiontal and i think also better vertical.
Fox: worse. his falling speed ad slow horizontal movement is deadly.
Falco: same as Fox, except worse.
Ness: better. pretty much better even.
Kirby: better. in all means.
IC: with 2, its much better. with 1, its still better horizontal, but bad vertical.
Samus: godlike recovery.
Zelda: her wind takes her far. really far.
Sheik: also really good. better then Marios.
Y. Link: much better with bomb recovery and/or hookshot.
Link: same as above, except a little diffrent.
Pichu: much better. his up B have huge range.
Pikachu: same here. shorter, though.
Rondoudou: arguably best in the game.
Mewtwo: arguably best in the game.
G&W: real good vertical, it gives him a good horizontal too.
Marth: better. his smash B gives less slowdown, his up B more range.
Roy: dunno here. i think better.

please say if im wrong anywhere.

oh, and to n00bs, a guide like this proves nothing. to newbs, its useful, but n00bs dont care, thus making them n00bs.

Zero EXE

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Neophos
Zero, he said it was nice. what do you wanty him to do, kneel down and kiss your feet and pray to the goodlyness of this guide??
I thought he was refering to what you said, and if so, I apologize for snapping at you LOTRF.

DID YOU NOT READ MY SECOND POST TELLING WHY I SAID IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST OR WHAT!? I didn't need an explanation of everyone else's recovery abilities. I will applaude you for actually attempting to back up your statement though. Lets not drag this disscusion out any longer, OK? I you wish to, them PM me about it instead of posting. Otherwise, lets just drop it.

Puff-In-Exile

Smash Rookie
Very nice guide. The thing that comes to my mind when thinking about possible additions to it is that you don't mention the Plumber Powerhouse's cape as much as you should. It has the potential to reverse the initiative in matches that see a lot of long-range weapons fired towards Mario, such as when the opponent is a Samus or a Link with a projectile-heavy strategy. Also, need I mention the edge-guarding goodness that can be had with a simple press of Forward and B? Fox and Falco's recoveries, among others, are highly susceptible to a well-timed onslaught of cold, cruel fabric; since you point out that Fox and Falco give Mario a hard time, it should be mentioned that the cape can be used on them rather easily in this way. Of course, I'm stating the obvious, but it is a guide...inquiring newbies want to know.

Job76

Smash Rookie
Do you know any comboes using standard attacks, smash attacks, aerial attacks, and special attacks.

MakoEnergy

Smash Rookie
Yeah, my bro plays alot of Mario, and I play alot of Doc.

Mario's edgeguard is really dangerous if you can't sweetspot the ledge. His forward smash will knock the lights out of you before you can realize what happened. Really nice guide, BTW.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
marios recovery is better than doc mainly coz of fireballzzz
and marios recovery is mainly not that bad coz of fireballzzz so use it, ***** lol

nice guide, the character match ups should be more detailed to me because thats most important i think
but really its pretty good and decent i like it

mario also has the ability to DANCE!! dance like youve never danced beffoooore lol
yeah you can dash dance wavedash so much to irritate the opponent and WOOOSH come in with a fair its a good combo starter but needs to be lcanceld, grab and **** the living crap outta him dthrow uair uair uair FSMASH

Top Bottom