• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power to the Players?

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Just was thinking to myself,
Why is the hb (hotbox/hitbubble) information not provided right from the creators of the game?
I don't understand why we; as a community, have to create our own patch notes, our own tools and hacks to find the information on changes and what things work etc, when the creators have ready access to this information.
If they released it, it wouldn't make the game any different for non-competitive casual players, and would only help the people who take the game seriously.
Maybe I'm blind-sided, but I don't understand why this information is kept so secretive, as it doesn't benefit Nintendo in any way shape or form.
What are your opinions and ideas on why game companies do this?

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Just was thinking to myself,
Why is the hb (hotbox/hitbubble) information not provided right from the creators of the game?
I don't understand why we; as a community, have to create our own patch notes, our own tools and hacks to find the information on changes and what things work etc, when the creators have ready access to this information.
If they released it, it wouldn't make the game any different for non-competitive casual players, and would only help the people who take the game seriously.
Maybe I'm blind-sided, but I don't understand why this information is kept so secretive, as it doesn't benefit Nintendo in any way shape or form.
What are your opinions and ideas on why game companies do this?
I'm going to risk it and say it's because no kid wants to turn the game on and read that their favourite character met the nerf gun. A casual likely won't notice their character was nerfed via normal gameplay unless it was something huge. If they can read patch notes, that changes. I've met someone who quit playing a game when their character got nerfed so maybe Nintendo is trying to avoid those situations? Because let's be honest - patch notes are wanted mostly by the competitive and semi-competitive people. A minority. The casuals likely could care less until they see it. At least that's what I think is going on.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I'm going to risk it and say it's because no kid wants to turn the game on and read that their favourite character met the nerf gun. A casual likely won't notice their character was nerfed via normal gameplay unless it was something huge. If they can read patch notes, that changes. I've met someone who quit playing a game when their character got banned so maybe Nintendo is trying to avoid those situations? Because let's be honest - patch notes are wanted mostly by the competitive and semi-competitive people. A minority. The casuals likely could care less until they see it. At least that's what I think is going on.
This makes the most amount of sense, thanks for your answer. I never thought of the game in this way.
i dont care much for it
Then why did you bother to post this?

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
kingman1 obviously just wanted to push up his message count.

As previously said, it kind of gives the players something to do, as a community, putting everything together and discovering the game ourselves. And as a community, it doesn't really take us long to find everything out either. And I think we also discover things that the developers didn't intend for the game anyway. I think they just look into what people talk about the most anyway, like Diddy's Uair, and Sonic's Bthrow and change it. So if you see something regularly talked about you can expect it to be changed. Sonic had a glitch found with his spring shortly before the patch, and it still exists now because it wasn't talked about much.

If people want this kind of information, they're quickly gonna look into it and we'll have the results in no time anyway, so I don't mind that Ninentdo don't give us patch notes. Sure, it'd be nice, and save us some time, but then people will have less incentive to discover new things, and it takes away a little of their time they could be using to produce more content for their games, but I doubt patch notes would take much time at all when you knowingly change the game.

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
I would like to see this happen but maybe the patch notes would be like 10 pages of random things you would not understand xD

Top Bottom