• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound 2019 Disucssion Thread

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here are the notable upsets so far:

Pipp:ultsnake: 2-1 JeBB:ultpalutena:
Mystearica (He played :4bayonetta: in SSB4, but not sure if he plays her in Ultimate) 2-1 Seagull Joe:ultwolf:
SciFire:ultsnake: 2-1 Fatality:ultfalcon:
Danbi (Wins Over) Pink Fresh:ultlucas::ultlucina:

Edit: Fatality posted this.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Aaawwww, both Digsea and Dingus got knocked into Losers XP

Both did well, tho, and Dingus took his loss well compared to other times.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Here are the notable upsets so far:

Pipp:ultsnake: 2-1 JeBB:ultpalutena:
Mystearica (He played :4bayonetta: in SSB4, but not sure if he plays her in Ultimate) 2-1 Seagull Joe:ultwolf:
SciFire:ultsnake: 2-1 Fatality:ultfalcon:
Danbi (Wins Over) Pink Fresh:ultlucas::ultlucina:

Edit: Fatality posted this.
Mystearica plays :ultzelda:, Danbi is a :ultyoshi::ultzelda: from Arkansas.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Jw :ultgreninja: 2-1 MkLeo :ultwolf::ultlucina:

Another big upset here at Pound.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Wow! Upsets where quiet at first, now they are all over the place. Here is a few more.
Mysterica:ultzelda: 2-0 6WX:ultsonic:
Atomsk 2-0 Raptor:ultyoshi: to eliminate him at 65th place.
Jul:ultrobinf: 2-1 JeBB:ultpalutena: to eliminate him at 65th place.
Lemon 2-0 Fatality:ultfalcon: to eliminate him at 97th place.

Btw, does anyone know who Leffen is playing? I betting my money that it is :ultjoker:, but I want to make sure. He made it to top 49 winner's over ZD.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Wow! Upsets where quiet at first, now they are all over the place. Here is a few more.
Mysterica:ultzelda: 2-0 6WX:ultsonic:
Atomsk 2-0 Raptor:ultyoshi: to eliminate him at 65th place.
Jul:ultrobinf: 2-1 JeBB:ultpalutena: to eliminate him at 65th place.
Lemon 2-0 Fatality:ultfalcon: to eliminate him at 97th place.

Btw, does anyone know who Leffen is playing? I betting my money that it is :ultjoker:, but I want to make sure. He made it to top 49 winner's over ZD.
Pound isn't running 3.0 so Joker isn't available. Leffen is running Pichu.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
MuteAce:ultpeach: 2-1 ESAM:ultpikachu:
Between this and the Samsora Money Match, I think ESAM has a bit of a Peach/Daisy problem.

Geist:ultbayonetta: 2-1 Frozen:ultpalutena:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Dexter 2-1 CaptainZack:ultdaisy:
Edit: BobbyWasabi 2-1 VoiD:ultpichu:
Edit 2: Shyguy 2-0 Salem:ultsnake:
Edit 3: MattyG:ultchrom: 2-0 Larry Lurr:ultfox::ultwolf:

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
LingLing :ultpeach: 2-1 ANTi :ultmario::ultlucario:, sending ANTi into Losers.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Ling Ling :ultpeach: eliminates ESAM:ultpikachu: 3-2

Poor ESAM just keeps running into Peaches lol. He did seem to do much better this time around, though.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
MKLeo :ultwolf: 3 - 0 Leffen :ultpichu:

Leffen eliminated in Top 16. Despite the 3-0, the games were pretty down to the wire. He mentioned on Twitter that he likely won't be competing anymore in Ultimate, or at least won't be practicing it.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
The Snake vs Palu MU is just straight up goofy to look in action. Despite how the MU actually goes or who wins the set

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Dark Wizzy :ultmario: 3 - 2 Light :ultfox:

Arguably a big upset. This is the first time Light hasn't made it to Top 8.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Dark Wizzy :ultmario: 3 - 2 Light :ultfox:

Arguably a big upset. This is the first time Light hasn't made it to Top 8.

Wizzy did beat Light at Suplex City. But this was a much closer match. With Wizzy pulling of a reverse 3-0 after the first 2 rough losses in the set.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
MKLeo :ultwolf: 3 - 0 Leffen :ultpichu:

Leffen eliminated in Top 16. Despite the 3-0, the games were pretty down to the wire. He mentioned on Twitter that he likely won't be competing anymore in Ultimate, or at least won't be practicing it.
Another major without a Pichu in top 8. The only one so far is Genesis 6 and that is the first supermajor.

NNID
User7a1
Right as the Character Impression thread was talking about Ike's decline, MKLeo goes Ike. Interesting coincidence.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Right as the Character Impression thread was talking about Ike's decline, MKLeo goes Ike. Interesting coincidence.
He's also down 1-2 right now. Will he be able to turn it around, I wonder?

Edit: Nope, 1-3.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
MkLeo wasn't really feeling good throughout the whole tournament, to the point where he considered dropping out of loser's when he reached top 49. I can imagine that his Ike isn't as polished as it used to be considered how long ago he used him. GGs to him regardless.

NairWizard

Somewhere
What is up with sick people attending tournaments? like, basic consideration for others should encourage you to stay home; leo and nairo shouldn't even be there if they are that sick.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
What is up with sick people attending tournaments? like, basic consideration for others should encourage you to stay home; leo and nairo shouldn't even be there if they are that sick.
Pressure to perform, not wanting to lose out on PGR rating, underestimating how sick they are, etc etc.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Marss is an absolute madman. What even was that ZSS comeback game 5

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Marss nearly got reverse swept by MVD but managed to save it in the end with his signature ZSS after going Mega Man in the games prior. Gotta love the man’s comebacks with that character, good work to MVD too!

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Apparently Marss' Mega Man is a thing.
It's been a thing for awhile. Mega Man is pretty nice for the Snake MU among a few others. I'm surprised he didn't rock it the whole set tbh
Also Let's go Salem. I get sick when people say the top Bayos in 4 are now irrelevant

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did you guys know that hbox got a crab thrown at him? Like a real crab i think. Nobody mentioned it so idk

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
When you reach that level, its... basically your job. Except with even less job security than a normal job. Gotta keep the sponsors happy, not going to a major risks falling behind the pack in points/meta and never being able to catch up, less content you can use to create things for more money on youtube.

People like the idea of nobody showing up to work when sick in order to not spread things around. In reality, you're going unless you're so sick you actually physically can't.

NairWizard

Somewhere
When you reach that level, its... basically your job. Except with even less job security than a normal job. Gotta keep the sponsors happy, not going to a major risks falling behind the pack in points/meta and never being able to catch up, less content you can use to create things for more money on youtube.

People like the idea of nobody showing up to work when sick in order to not spread things around. In reality, you're going unless you're so sick you actually physically can't.
Not going to a tournament and avoiding a poor performance is better than going and not doing well, and then saying that you were sick on twitter. How does that look to your fans and to sponsors?

Lots of tournament players skip tourneys now and then to train and get a break.

It's hard to justify going to a big public space and getting others sick like this.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
So many game 5 sets...., so many last stock situations..... So many clutch plays. My heart cant take much more.

Marss is one of, if not the most enteraining Pro players to watch right now

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Not going to a tournament and avoiding a poor performance is better than going and not doing well, and then saying that you were sick on twitter. How does that look to your fans and to sponsors?

Lots of tournament players skip tourneys now and then to train and get a break.

It's hard to justify going to a big public space and getting others sick like this.
Its... pretty much how athletes go about it as well. How it looks is expected behaviour. You don't broadcast in advance that you're sick, that's information you don't want your opponents to know. That's why its not all uncommon in say, the NHL playoffs to find out after a team is knocked out that so-and-so was actually playing with such-and-such an injury. More than a few times there have been players playing with a broken foot even.

While I'm sure "lots of tournament players" skip tournaments, its going to be a whole lot more uncommon for sponsored players to do so. Can't accord the hit. Its better to show up and do middling (but still get the name out there at least), than to not show up and be a non-factor.

Again, its just like having an actual job. I've worked at several call centres: unless you're on death's bed or have a sore throat so bad customers can't hear you, you go to work. That's your income, not going even for fairly good reasons has rather negative consequences. Wear one of those medical masks or whatnot if you need to while going to the tournament, but if you're at that high of a level where you're considered a top 10 player you're going to go. Doubly so if you've already paid for travel costs and have already arrived.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Is "Snake is not top tier" going to be the new "Mario is not top 10"? Snake deniers need to come back down to earth.

The waffling with this guy is reaching Favreian levels. He was more fun when he was upsetting Melee majors. **** or get off the pot.

Top Bottom