• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potentially new tech: Double Stick CC

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently working on a CC % guide. I have everything ready except for quantifying the ASDI distance in units of KB (but I'm doing the trig on paper right now).

It is known that Double Stick DI can extend Amsah Tech %'s (see here and here). However, I don't think anyone has ever tried using that technique below the KB threshold to extend their CC %. I haven't finished my research, but it seems like this might be significant for middleweight characters like Marth/Sheik/Peach, who are a little heavier than spacies but are much floatier. Double Stick DI might allow them to take more advantage of their higher KB resistance due to weight. I'm not sure, but I think it would be less significant for heavyweights like Falcon, whose gravity I imagine lines up pretty closely with weight in terms of how they affect CC %. But Samus... ohboy. I'll be working on extending the CC% matchups I've calculated, and post them here.

Also, I discovered that it seems that:
if perfect perpendicular DI is in a dead zone of the controller (+/- 17.2 degrees), it is always better to use zero rather than 17.3, due to the octagonal displacement of the control stick (I posted this result in the DI thread).

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Interesting, pretty sure people call it true CC when you ASDI down as well, but I might be wrong. Keep us updated on your results.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, pretty sure people call it true CC when you ASDI down as well, but I might be wrong. Keep us updated on your results.
I'm proposing double stick CC as using the C-stick for maximum ASDI down and the control stick down/away for maximum trajectory influence with normal DI. Unfortunately, I've found that Marth and Sheik's ASDI break percents are way above their Knockdown percents when hit by sheik. Thus, for them in that matchup, Double Stick DI is only useful for Amsah techs.

The guide is here:
http://smashboards.com/guides/that-doesnt-work-and-i-should-know-it.610/

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I have everything ready except for quantifying the ASDI distance in units of KB
I have heard somewhere that full ASDI moves you around 3.0 units, and it also seems to be in line with some off the knockdown calc I have done before. This equals the velocity given by 100KB upwards, so even without trajectory DI you'll always be able to collide past knockdown %, so double stick di won't help you to cc. In addition it's also difficult to crouch and TDI, since you have to input the TDI during hitlag, or else you'll uncrouch and lose the reduction.

However you can sometimes use edges to cancel the knockdown animation to achieve similar effect to CC (ASDI land canceling hitstun). If you get hit by upwards sending move near an edge, double stick di can be your only way to escape.

I made a thread in the fox boards a while ago to describe a specific use for the option:
http://smashboards.com/threads/double-stick-di-out-of-marths-platform-combos.403279/

Top Bottom