• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potentially Interesting Matchups?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Spy vs Spy

Okay, but honestly, I also second Little Mac vs Captain Falcon. For more technical reasons, I think that Ice Climbers vs Villager will be interesting in that it may be either highly exciting or a complete snooze-fest to watch, depending on how their characteristics stack up. Villager seems to have a few tools that can hinder the Ice Climbers (the pocket move, the slingshot, the shovel that can bury a single climber if the opponent screws up a desynch), but also some things that might work against him, such as the tree, which may make it easier for them to chain grab (assuming that's still a thing). The tree could also help him, however, in that it could divide the climbers up more frequently. Meanwhile, the Ice Climbers seem to have a clear advantage at close-range, with more brutal and disjointed melee attacks. I can see Villager being prime combo-fodder if he's not too light, since he seems pretty floaty and slow overall. Both characters also have pretty lackluster recoveries, so it'll be interesting to see how off-stage gameplay and gimping factor into the match-up. I assume it wouldn't be too difficult for Villager to use that tree to drop a heavy finishing blow to the largely vertically-recovering Ice Climbers, or for the Ice Climbers to use their 2-attacks-at-once abilities to pop Villager's balloons incredibly quickly. Neither character appears to be that adaptable off-stage, so the fact that edge-guarding may become so crucial to the match-up has some pretty intriguing implications, at least in my eyes.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Ice Climbers vs Rosalina and Luma - Lag. Lag everywhere
Little Mac vs Sonic - You're too slow?
Zero Suit Samus vs Wii Fit Trainer - The height, falling speed, and combo potential in both
Mega Man vs Sonic - Only because of the Worlds Collide comic
Peach vs Zelda - Due to changes in their movesets

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
I've posted this before but I'll post it again.

Snake vs. Little Mac

Both are characters with excellent ground games but poor air games. One is pure offense with high speed while the other is highly defensive with strong CQC.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Rosalina vs. Marth
Two characters who are (and probably will be) phenomenal when spaced correctly. Should make for an interesting game as the two want to space well without helping the opponent.

Rosalina vs. Ice Climbers
This is going to be intense with chain grabs vs. Luma, who apparently can't be grabbed, and Rosalina can summon Luma to beat up on the eskimos if Rosalina gets grabbed.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
...Some things that might work against Villager, such as the tree, which may make it easier for them to chain grab (assuming that's still a thing). But the tree could also help him, however, in that it could divide the climbers up more frequently.
What if a fast villager could chop his tree so it falls down a ledge but be fast and jump after it and pick the tree up with his neutral-B... That would be hillarious and awesome. I mean, if he can pick up Zeldas phantom, why not the tree? I'd love to see some edgeguaring with picked up trees ^^

On topic, I agree with most in this thread. Two out of Sheik/Greninja/WFT would probably be an awesome fast and technical matchup. I however, don't agree with the Rosalina hype. I actually think she will be rather weak, she is too slow/floaty and it doesnt seem that difficult to get past her Luma (wich seems to leave her a bit gimped when sent out). Maybe she could be a good counterpick to slow, strong character though. But if this Smash follows the same path as the others, we probably won't see that much of slow characters being played, competetivly atleast.

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Marth vs Little Mac
I believe Marth generally has trouble with high pressure (with his fastest OoS option--Dolphin Slash--leaving him in an extremely vulnerable position), and is easily exploited when attacked from below. Marth, however, is strong at getting opponents in the air and chaining aerials across the stage. He's also a fantastic edge-guarder thanks to his great manoeuvrability and attacks (down tilt being extremely dangerous against fast fallers).

Little Mac seems to be an extremely fast, exceedingly powerful pressure based ground fighter that can even soak up attacks without flinching. Little Mac clearly seems to have issues in the air, even possessing a terrible recovery that appears easy to intercept. Little Mac is a character of extremes.

Thinking of the match... I imagine it'll play out similarly to how Marth deals with Falco in Melee; just get the grab and don't let him pressure you (otherwise Little Mac will be at an advantage against Marth's relatively laggy attacks). Up throw and then just chain aerials until he's off-stage. Little Mac doesn't possess a Mac Illusion, so edgeguarding him would be a little easier, haha.

lami

Smash Journeyman
There's talk on the Mac boards about how Mac may struggle with Marth. While I see the potential for LM to get shut out through good spacing and grabs, Mac's armor could be enough to "punch" past Marth's wall-o-fairs. But then he gets grabbed. I can't wait to test this one out.

Edit: Didn't see @ FlynnCL FlynnCL 's way better post about this matchup right above me. Sorry!

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
My random was Yoshi vs. King Dedede. Fight of the century!

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
There's talk on the Mac boards about how Mac may struggle with Marth. While I see the potential for LM to get shut out through good spacing and grabs, Mac's armor could be enough to "punch" past Marth's wall-o-fairs. But then he gets grabbed. I can't wait to test this one out.
Interesting match up indeed.
But yeah, chain throw at low%, throw to uptilt combo or just a throw of the ledge will be rough for Mac. If Marth plays mostly the same that is. I'd say Marth would have the upper hand any case though, regardless if he can chaingrab mac at low% or not. If Mac gets off edge it just seems like an insanely easy edgeguard for Marth vs him.
Mac can probably get in close and do some serious work on Marth with his high armor but then there's the easy grab out of shield (or even the counter move) for Marth if Mac has to go in recklessly to get work done wich should become pretty easy to read after a while. Macs own grab range might be crucial, so he can mix up with dash in-grabs.

Edit: From the gameplay we have seen, Mac is a very fast faller right?

Last edited:

lami

Smash Journeyman
Interesting match up indeed.
But yeah, chain throw at low%, throw to uptilt combo or just a throw of the ledge will be rough for Mac. If Marth plays mostly the same that is. I'd say Marth would have the upper hand any case though, regardless if he can chaingrab mac at low% or not. If Mac gets off ledge it just seems like an insanely easy edgeguard for Marth vs him.
Mac can probably get in close and do some serious work on Marth with his high armor but then there's the easy grab out of shield (or even the counter move) for Marth if Mac has to go in recklessly to get work done wich should become pretty easy to read after a while. Mac's own grab range might be crucial, so he can mix up with dash in-grabs.

Edit: From the gameplay we have seen, Mac is a very fast faller right?
Just went back and watched the Direct footage of Mac and yeah, he seems like a fast faller. They kept him out of the air mostly, (considering that's his downfall apparently) but after his Up-B combos he hit the ground pretty fast. Another thing to consider is that Mac has a counter of his own, which gives him another tool to deal with Marth's spacing. I think you're totally right about Mac wanting to avoid getting grabbed cuz that could spell a stock lost right there.

Top Bottom