• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

potential quick draw "option select"

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
This idea came to me while watching an ike match at norfair. Ike was attempting to sweet spot the ledge with quick draw and was edge hogged as a result. Because of norfair's walls below the ledge he could've still wall jumped out of quick draw and managed to recover. A possible "option select" could be tapping back while trying to sweet spot the ledge with quick draw. If he got the ledge he would've released it imediately giving him all those invinicibly frames to play around with and ledge hop onto the stage or do whatever the player sees fit while abusing those frames. If the ledge was occupied the ike would wall jump and prevent his death.

This is obviously not something a player would want to do EVERY time, hense the quotes around option select. It's just something to think about. There's probably some tiny nuance involed that makes this impossible that I'm not aware of, since I don't play ike, or this may be something ike players do regularly and I'm simply not aware of it. Either way I just wanted to give you guys this idea and maybe save some players from getting edge hogged on stages like yoshi's story.

Doq

Smash Lord
In a situation like this, you could walljump the ledge like any ordinary wall and either perform another QD to the stage or aether back onto it.
Or if the edgehogger lost his invincibility frames you could release the QD knocking the edgehogger off the ledge and Ike will grab it.

I've seen matches where Ike comes back onto the stage at just the right altitude to convert it into a grounded one then easily act.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
I figured you could qd any edge but I can't test it so I took the safe route in posting this. At any rate, I figure performing this as an option select could save some players time any energy needed to think about other things while recovering. The game gets so fast sometimes that it makes sense to me to do this habitually rather than reactively since it doesn't leave you in a bad position either way.

metroid1117

Smash Master
This idea came to me while watching an ike match at norfair. Ike was attempting to sweet spot the ledge with quick draw and was edge hogged as a result. Because of norfair's walls below the ledge he could've still wall jumped out of quick draw and managed to recover. A possible "option select" could be tapping back while trying to sweet spot the ledge with quick draw. If he got the ledge he would've released it imediately giving him all those invinicibly frames to play around with and ledge hop onto the stage or do whatever the player sees fit while abusing those frames. If the ledge was occupied the ike would wall jump and prevent his death.

This is obviously not something a player would want to do EVERY time, hense the quotes around option select. It's just something to think about. There's probably some tiny nuance involed that makes this impossible that I'm not aware of, since I don't play ike, or this may be something ike players do regularly and I'm simply not aware of it. Either way I just wanted to give you guys this idea and maybe save some players from getting edge hogged on stages like yoshi's story.
Unfortunately, this doesn't really work; the window to wall-jump out of QD ends before Ike can grab the edge. If you press "back" while rushing towards the wall and the opponent isn't there, you'll wall-jump instead of grabbing the edge. Hence, you can't really "option select" for wall-jumping or grabbing the edge automatically, you have to decide on one or the other based on where the opponent is.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
Ah I see. figures as much. Some nuance that makes this impossible... well I suppose this thread can be deleted or something then.

Top Bottom