• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential problem.

Adler

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any hacking programs (or whatever they're called) yet, but I'm going to get one just as soon as I get an SD card reader.

Anyway here's the problem.
I just updated my Wii and got this thing which lets me save/play channels to/from an SD card.
As it was explaining the features something caught my eye, it said that with this update it would delete any data on SD card which was corrupted due to outside influences.

Does this mean it'll delete the codes I try to put on?
And if so is it a major problem (are there no ways round it)?
It's probablly nothing and I may not have my facts right (the message has dissapeared) but I don't want to spend money on an SD card reader if I can't use it.

KarateF22

Smash Journeyman
I don't have any hacking programs (or whatever they're called) yet, but I'm going to get one just as soon as I get an SD card reader.

Anyway here's the problem.
I just updated my Wii and got this thing which lets me save/play channels to/from an SD card.
As it was explaining the features something caught my eye, it said that with this update it would delete any data on SD card which was corrupted due to outside influences.

Does this mean it'll delete the codes I try to put on?
And if so is it a major problem (are there no ways round it)?
It's probablly nothing and I may not have my facts right (the message has dissapeared) but I don't want to spend money on an SD card reader if I can't use it.
I have a feeling you updated to 4.0. If you dont have the homebrew channel on your Wii atm, your basically screwed. For now anyways, solutions are in the works...

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Yeah, as he just said, you have a bigger problem. The homebrew installation exploit doesn't work on the newest version of the Wii menu. You'll have to wait until they make and release a new method of installing it.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Can't you format the Wii's memory to revert it to the original version? Which is the maximum version allowed for the hacks to work? And, would installing Animal Crossing's required update make the Wii's version too high to hack?

If the Animal Crossing answer is a "Yes", then guess I got no choice, as my family loves that game.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Can't you format the Wii's memory to revert it to the original version? Which is the maximum version allowed for the hacks to work? And, would installing Animal Crossing's required update make the Wii's version too high to hack?

If the Animal Crossing answer is a "Yes", then guess I got no choice, as my family loves that game.
Formatting does not change the firmware. 4.0 is the latest firmware and it doesn't allow the use of TP exploit to install HBC, so a new method is currently being discovered and not yet released to public. Animal crossing update has no harm. It only installs the use of a wiispeak microphone.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium

Downgrading is an option, just make sure you are doing everything right to avoid any problems basically... Homebrew can be run off of a Wii with version 4.0 if it was already installed on the Wii before updated. As of now, there isn't a way to install Homebrew onto 4.0 but you just have to be patient and wait for it to happen if you don't want to downgrade.

If you do downgrade, the general consensus is that version 3.2 is the "best" to have. Higher versions made using some really nice apps impossible, but if you just want to play Brawl+ then use any version.

I'm pretty sure that you can just update the game through Homebrew to avoid any updates to the Wii. That's what they do with things like the Mii channel.
EDIT: Post above mine says that it doesn't update the Wii anyways, so whatever :p

Revven

FrankerZ
He can't downgrade anyway without access to the Homebrew Channel, Plum.

Basically, you're screwed until the new exploit is released to the public.

Top Bottom