• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential new tier method - Ease of Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Hello! I've been looking at the recent thread on the released Japanese tier list, as well as looking at the controversy over the use of tiers in general, and have begun to think about different methods that could be used to rank characters.

One thing I noted was that, in general, the problem with tier lists is that the highest ranked characters end up being the ones that the most people start playing, leaving lower tiers stagnate. Instead of lamenting this fact, why not make it a feature?

My essential idea is to make an "Ease of Use" tierlist, where characters are ranked by how easy they are to pick up and become good at. This would serve to give people with limited time an idea of who they could reasonably learn. The details of this are still somewhat ambiguous, but the tierlist would be formed with level 9 CPU clones as the baseline. After a short amount of preparation, enough to understand the moveset and some potential advanced techniques, testers would go into battle against the CPU of their character; a good performance would indicate a character that is easy to learn, while a poor performance would suggest that the character is complex and requires more input to be expertly manipulated.

How exactly to conduct the battles is pretty open to interpretation. It would be possible to do everything from timed matches, stocks from 1 to 99, best out of x sets, and play until you win so many times, potentially in a row, as well as items and stage choices. Scoring could be based on percentages dealt or total KO's.

To test the viability of this, I decided on a single 7 stock match, no items, Battlefield, against a level 9 CPU clone, and tested the first 6 characters - Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Roselina. All of these characters are characters I've had a small amount of experience with in SSB4, with Peach and Bowser having more experience from previous games. Scoring would be based on how many stocks were left at the end - a positive number indicates victory, a negative indicates a loss.
  • Mario: -2
  • Luigi: -4
  • Peach: -2
  • Bowser: +3
  • Yoshi: +2
  • Roselina: +3
A quick analysis on this. How low Mario and Luigi placed surprised me, considering their generic movesets, though the others placed as expected. Peach's play felt air-based to me, something I wasn't quite able to capture in the set. Bowser's bulkiness and powerful attacks made him an instant success once I learned where to use his KO moves against his faster or more specialized moves, like flamethrower or spinning fortress. Yoshi, though he has a quirky moveset, proved easy and fun to learn, even if I suffered an SD during the match. The big surprise was Roselina - I expected her playstyle, drastically different as it is, to take a while to pick up, but once I got used to spacing Luma, I was able to take down the CPU clone with ease. A final comment is that these results line up almost perfectly with the Japanese tier list, with the exception of Bowser and Yoshi's swapped positions.

Of course, this is not a full picture of these characters and how easy they are to learn. One match is not enough to know about one character, and one person testing, especially, is not the best way to test. Were I to do the full roster, the scores of my mains such as Zelda would be severely skewed. Thus, a large sample size would need to be procured, with the proper statistical method, to end up with a tier list truly representative of how easy it is to learn a character.

One final thought: This list would not be intended to fully replace traditional tier lists. Those lists measure competitive placement, and still serve that purpose. This list merely attempts to separate ease of use from competitive viability, a distinction that has been all too murky in past games.

Thank you for reading my ideas! I welcome suggestions on how to implement this, criticisms on where this plan falls short, and your own statistics and ideas on what they mean.

Signia

Smash Lord
The problem with this and all the other "ease of use threads" throughout history is that the answer to the question of who is easy learn depends on what level of play you're talking about. For example, in Melee, Marth and Sheik are easy to pick up, but they become harder to use at higher levels. Falco is really easy to play a mid level where players can't handle basic SH laser use. Also, one could say that Falco strategy is easy to grasp while it's not always obvious with characters like Peach. You could say Ice Climbers is really complex, that Ganon and Falcon are difficult because you can't make any mistakes.

Both definition of ease and what level of play is most relevant is something you'll have to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom