• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Legal Stages in Ulitmate (SPECULATION)

Do you guys think they are going to add more than 103 stages.

• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Uncertain

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
So we have been given the overall stage-list of Smash Ultimate, with a whooping 103 stages. A lot of the stages are probably not going to be tournament legal, but there are cetaintly going too be way more than in previous games:
  • Smash 64 has only 1 legal stage: Dream Land
  • Melee has 5 starters (Battlefield, Final Destination, Dream Land, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story) and 1 counterpick (Pokemon Stadium).
  • Brawl's stagelist is heavily disputed, but it is normally agreed to have 4 starters (Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshi's Island) and 3 counterpicks (Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium, Castle Siege and sometimes Frigate Orpheon).
  • 3DS has 3 starters (Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island) and 3 counterpicks (Dream Land, Arena Ferox, Prism Tower).
  • Wii U has 5 starters (Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Town and City, Lylat Cruise) and 4 counterpicks (Dream Land, and the Omega forms of Suzaku Castle, Wily Castle, and Midgar).
This is mostly my opinion, but you guys have some free input into this. I am categorizing it into three categories. Note that it says "Legal", as I am not going to determine if it is going to be a starter or counterpick, unless I mention it. It is way too early to tell.

Last Updated: 9/8/18

Battlefield
Pretty obvious, as this is a universal legal stage in every Smash game (except 64, which was single-player exclusive). Tri-platform layout with a medium size.

Final Destination
Another obvious stage. A completely flat stage with grab-able ledges, this stage is widely considered to be a symbol for legal stages. Something to be noted: this iteration of Final Destination appears to be shorter than in past games, now being the same length as Battlefield.

Every Battlefield and Omega form
It is completely understandable why only a handful of Omega forms were legal in SSB4: each Omega form in that game had different bottom stage layout (including ones with walls), different sizes, and different blastzone sizes. In Smash Ultimate, however, the terrain and blast lines no longer vary between stages. This means all Ω forms are the same length as Final Destination, in turn being shortened to the same length as Battlefield, the same walls (or at least very similar), and the same blastzone sizes. Masahiro Sakurai stated that all Battlefield forms will be identical, differing only in music and aesthetics.
This is personally one of my favorite and most overlooked changes coming to the new game.

Dream Land
Pretty obvious why. This stage has been legal ever since it's introduction. The Battlefield-like layout, combined with Whispy Woods' wind stage hazard being very minuscule to the match (and it could be turned off entirely in this game). Will it be as big as in Melee, or as small as it was in SSB4, we don't know yet.

Yoshi's Story
One of the most popular tournament legal stages in Melee, thanks to it's fair layout and unique mechanics, such as the cloud. Definitely a stage that everyone anticipated a return to.

Fountain of Dreams
Speaking of anticipated legal stages, Fountain of Dreams is back. It is known of it's pretty visuals, but also in competitive play for it's fair layout, no stage lips existing, unique mechanic of platforms rising below the stage, and the prevention of camping thanks to that.

Pokemon Stadium
This stage was among the most controversial in both Melee and Brawl, for the transformations can often lead to camping out and infinites. This stage is probably going to be the most discussed stage on whether to turn hazards on and off, as many of the issues plaguing this stage is fixed in Ultimate due to various mechanic changes. However, many would probably want a very neutral stage with no transformations. With Pokemon Stadium 2 having less fair transformations, and a similar looking no hazard version, this puts this into question. Despite this, Pokemon Stadium will be legal is some shape or form.

Frigate Orpheon
This stage is shown to be not as intrusive as it was in Brawl, due to the existence of less tether dependent recoveries and the nerfs to Meta Knight since then. If the stage flipping is too intrusive, then you could flip it off with the hazard toggle. The hazard toggle being off also makes all ungrab-able ledges grab-able all at once.

Yoshi's Island
This is a universally legal stage since it's introduction, so there seems to be no reason that it will not be the case here. It lacks overly disruptive features, though it is sometimes a counterpick due to the unique properties of the stage, such as the Fly Guys blocking projectiles (although that could probably be turned off) and the Support Ghost gimping Ness' and Lucas' recoveries.

Smashville
One of the most popular legal stages of all time, due to it's unique design and fair layout. Thanks to some articles from Sakurai, there is a good chance that this stage will have some good fighting music for once.

Town and City (SSB4 image btw)
There is relatively little reason why this stage isn't legal. It has a lack of hazards, with the only gimmick of the stage being the platform cycling.
Brinstar
The main issue of this stage's legality is the damaging acid that rises. With the stage hazard toggle most likely removing that, what we have here is a stage with a strange, but relatively non-obtrusive stage design. Although it won't be a big deal if this isn't the case, but the hazard toggle removing the intractable objects like the strings at the left and right, as well as the destroy-able parts in the middle, will be a nice bonus. However, if the side walls are intractable and is in-destructible, then it will harm this stage's chances.

WarioWare, Inc.
This stage has a relatively neutral layout without the microgames, with Project M first demonstrating this. However, as shown by that said mod, the blastzone layout can make this stage's legality volatile, so we will have to wait and see.

Pokemon Stadium 2
This is one of the legal stages that comes in mind when they introduced the stage hazard toggle. With the transformations gone, this stage will be similar to Project M's Pokemon Stadium: a fair layout stage that some may say is even more fair than Battlefield. However, whether Pokemon Stadium 2 or Pokemon Stadium will be the preferred hazard-less stage is unclear. I think I am going to go with 2's version, mostly due to 1's version being legal even with the transformations.

Lylat Cruise
This stage is one of the most notorious legal stages in Smash Bros history (alongside Pokemon Stadium and Melee Battlefield). This is mainly due to the tilting of the stage gimping some recoveries and, in the case for SSB4, buggy interactions. However, the tilting of Lylat Cruise is removed in Ultimate. While the stage lips still exist, the buggy interactions appear to be fixed. With the tilting gone, this stage may have a chance in a positive spotlight.

Castle Siege
I think whether this stage will be legal or not, will depend on if the transformations will be removed when the hazard toggle is off. If it does, then this will be a stage with a relatively fair layout. I think it will be a counterpick, mostly due to the stage lips.

Kalos Pokemon League
With hazards turned off, the background transition is most likely removed. The result is a pretty looking stage, with a fair layout, walls, and a unique platform position.

Wily Castle
The Yellow Devil is removed when hazards are turned off, which results the stage being a version of Final Destination, but with vertical walls, similar to Omega Wily Castle in SSB4. If this stage is legal, then it is most likely a counterpick. Whether the other stage elements, such as the rails and moving platforms, is removed when hazards are turned off remains unknown.

Midgar
Turning off hazards will remove the summons from this stage, which makes the stage identical to Battlefield. Something to note is that it makes this stage redundant from Battlefield, while having a different below stage layout. Whether this stage is similar to it's Battlefield form is unknown, so we will have to wait and see.
A common thing that I am going to bring up is redundancy with other universally considered legal stages. I overall think that out of all the stages in this list, Wuhu Island, Skyloft, Mario Circuit, and Umbra Clock Tower has the best chance of being legal.

Kongo Jungle
I think it will all depend on if the hazard toggle will turn off the barrel. There is also the factor if Circle Camping is a thing in Smash Ultimate, especially considering the mobility buffs applied to slower characters. If that happens, then this might potentially be legal, but it is an odd ball. There is also a minor sharking issue.

Super Happy Tree
The main reason why this stage is banned in 64 and Melee, is due to how powerful the clouds are as camping spots. If the stage hazard toggle removes those clouds, then this stage might be legal, but we mush also factor the low vertical ceiling and the large horizontal blast zones. It could make this stage too powerful of a counterpick. All we have to do is wait and see.

Green Greens
With the hazard toggle removing the apples, blocks, and Whispy's wind, with at paper may be a legal stage. However, the now infamous MkLeo vs Plup match reminds us all about another crippling flaw of this stage that is also present in previous games: the blastzones of this stage is among the smallest in the game. Although it does seem like it has been slightly increased in size since it's appearance in Brawl, it is still a very small stage, with potentially strong counterpick powers. We will have to wait and see for this one.

Delfino Plaza
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyloft
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit
If hazard toggle removes the taxing off parts of each of these stages, then there could be some talk about each stage being legal. However, each one of them has a flaw that may prevent that from happening.
  • All of their main platforms are soft, which encourages sharking.
  • Delfino Plaza, in particular, has a small vertical blastzone that gives a large advantage to characters that latters opponents off the top.
  • Port Town suffers from being too redundant to Final Destination, while having a sharking problem. Some of the ledges in the stage is also ungrab-able, but we don't know if the hazard toggle will fix this.
  • Wuhu Island seems promising, although the layout of the edges might may recoveries harder.
  • Mario Circuit and Skyloft might be the most legal of the bunch, but it does have a sharking problem.
Overall, while I can see a case for Wuhu Island, Skyloft, and Mario Circuit being legal, the other two looks bleak in comparison.

Halberd
Although it is probably obvious that the hazard toggle will turn off the Combo Cannon, the stage has other problems that harms it's legality. The takeoff of the stage can instant kill you if not at the platform, and the transition platform small vertical blastzones and the main platform is shark-able. It is probably going to be overshadowed by other legal stages as well.

Unova Pokemon League
With hazards off, then the stage will be simply a version of hazard-less Pokemon Stadium, but with walls and no stage lips. However, redundancy with Pokemon Stadium may harm it's chances on being legal.

Prism Tower
New Donk City Hall
Both of these stages are very similar to eachother. Prism Tower served as a controversial counterpick in SSB4 (3DS), mainly due to the shark-able main platform and the very base of the stage being walk-offs. The fact that a lot more legal stages are put in the game harms both of their chances.

Arena Ferox
This stage served as a controversial counterpick in SSB4 (3DS), due to the statues blocking projectiles and some transformations including walls. Without the transformations, then this stage serves as a larger version of Final Destination. However, this factor may harm it's chances on being legal due to redundancy.

Pictochat 2
With hazards off, this stage is simply a flat stage with slightly slanted ledges. However, this stage suffers from being redundant with Final Destination, while suffering from low vertical blastzones downwards while makes spiking opponents dis-proportionally strong.

Mushroom Kingdom U
Without hazards and transformations, this stage seems to be fairly legal with a unique platform layout. However, the biggest issue of the stage is the size. It is a large stage which promotes camping from faster characters.

Umbra Clock Tower
It is heavily dependent on what the hazard toggle does to the stage. But even if the hazard toggle turns off the rumble platforms, the stage will be redundant of Final Destination, harming it's chances. With it's legality without hazards still being heavily debated, it does gives some more hope for this stage than others in this list.

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Good thread, though a couple comments:

My only concern with Brinstar is that turning hazards off might make the side walls hard and indestructible, which could possibly promote unfair infinite combos with certain characters.

Isn't Mario Circuit's main platform soft as well? Unless the stage hazard toggle addresses this, then sharking would be possible in that stage, which would hurt its case in being legal.

Hazards off on Lylat is confirmed to disable the stage's tilting. If this helps to reduce/remove the jank that comes from the ledges, such as falling through the stage, then I think that will help with Lylat's legality.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Good thread, though a couple comments:

My only concern with Brinstar is that turning hazards off might make the side walls hard and indestructible, which could possibly promote unfair infinite combos with certain characters.

Isn't Mario Circuit's main platform soft as well? Unless the stage hazard toggle addresses this, then sharking would be possible in that stage, which would hurt its case in being legal.

Hazards off on Lylat is confirmed to disable the stage's tilting. If this helps to reduce/remove the jank that comes from the ledges, such as falling through the stage, then I think that will help with Lylat's legality.
For Brinstar, my thoughts are that the side walls are inaccessible. Ultimately, we will have to wait on this one.

I have no idea if the Mario Circuit main platform is soft or not. I checked the list of possible stages for sharking, and I didn't see Mario Circuit. If it is, let me know.

Thanks for the info on Lylat. Going to update it.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the crappy off screen footage, but Mario Circuit is indeed soft:

Since Yoshi's Island (Brawl) has a very similar layout, and with the hazard switch being able to (most likely) remove the intrusive elements such as the Fly Guys and Blarggwichs, I personally don't see this stage being legal at all.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Sorry for the crappy off screen footage, but Mario Circuit is indeed soft:

Thanks for the footage. I think it would move the stage to the "Unsure" category, but it is still possible due to sharking being worse in this game than in previous games.

Btw, is Wuhu Island's main platform soft as well?

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Btw, is Wuhu Island's main platform soft as well?
Yes.
2018-09-08 16.47.32.jpg

Also the ledges in Port Town are NOT grabbable (not sure if Hazards off would fix this, as the right ledge in Frigate wasn't grabbable in Brawl, but with hazards off, it is.)

2018-09-08 16.49.10.jpg

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
With all the legal stages revealed, and each of the effects of the stage hazard toggle revealed, it is time that I renew my list on the starting stagelist of the game. Overall, 7 starter stages and 7 counterpicks. Some stages still needs some testing to see if it legal (emphasis on the fourth category), so this list may change in the future when we learn more about these stages. Assume the stages that doesn't say "(No Hazards)" next to it, means that that stage will be played with hazards on. Stages with purple highlights detonate stages that would be banned in doubles, mostly due to it's small size.

Last Updated: 11/17/18

Battlefield
Pretty much a "duh" stage. It should be noted that every Battlefield form in the game has the same blastzone sizes and the same layout, only differing in aesthetics and music, so each one of them counts as one.

Final Destination
Another "duh" pick. Unlike in SSB4, every omega form in the game has the same blastzone sizes and the same layout, only differing in aesthetics and music, so each one of them counts as one.

Pokemon Stadium 2 (No Hazards)
Thanks to Super Smash Flash 2 and Project M, we all know how beautiful of a legal stage this is without transformations. Thanks to hazards off toggle, this dream can finally be fulfilled as one of the most legal stages in the game. In comparison to hazardless Pokemon Stadium, this stage's platforms are a bit closer to center stage. I think this PS version should be picked as the safe legal option out of the two, as we already know that this is a safe version to go thanks to SSF2 and PM.

Smashville
Another "duh" pick. Good thing that this stage now has an actual good list of fighting game music to choose from. :)
We might potentially fool around with the hazards off version (where there is no moving platform), but this one is here to stay.

Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield-esque: check! Unique bottom stage layout: check! Sinking platforms that prevents camping: check! Looking beautiful: check!

Yoshi's Story
In Melee, this popular stage is home to a lot of characters that benefit from it's low vertical blastzone at the bottom and relative small size (Ganondorf being an example). This stage is Battlefield-esque, features walls, a tiny slant at the edges, and a cloud. Glad this stage is back in action.

Brinstar (No Hazards)
This stage is very interesting. Without hazards, the acid doesn't rise and the fleshy parts of the stage is uninteractable. With this change, we have a stage that has a unique stage layout that is overall seemingly neutral. However, that there is a chance that this stage has some issues: in Melee, the stage has relatively small blastzones, or at least blastzones that are somewhat close to the platforms. We don't know if the slope of the stage will affect anything too. Overall, this stage might be counterpick, but right now it looks neutral.

Yoshi's Island
This is a relatively popular stage in Brawl and SSB3DS. There is very little to no reason why this stage should be banned, thanks to it's unique main platform, walls, and tilting platform. However, I think this may be counterpick, as it does have a few questionable things about it to be starter stage. This is namely due to the Blarggwich potentially saving one from a failed recovery and even gimp the PK Kids' recovery. Donkey Kong is also very powerful on this stage thanks to his cargo throws off of the tilting platform and the Blarggwich, leading to early percent KOs.
Overall, this is a good competitive stage, and if Brinstar is counterpick, then this stage is the first choice to be a starter. It should be noted that with hazards off, the Blarggwich and Fly Guys are removed, but the platform no longer tilts. It may be an option.

Lylat Cruise (No Hazards)
Ahh... Lylat. This is one of the most infamous examples of legal stage jank in SSB history. Fortunately, if that jank still existed, this stage will not be in the list. With hazards off, the tilting of the stage is removed, and it appears that the ledge clipping we see from SSB4 is removed. Overall, a lot of the stage issues appears to have been removed, so I put it here for the time being.

Town and City
This stage is indeed returning, but I think it is a counterpick stage instead. This is mostly due to it having a few unfair elements in comparison to the already listed started stages, such as the low vertical blastzones and the transitions potentially carrying opponents off. Nevertheless, this stage is an easy stage to choose from. I wonder if the no hazards version should be fooled around with.......

Castle Siege (No Hazards)
Without any hazards, this stage is stuck at phase 1, creating an overall fair layout. The only problems I see is that the ledges have a stage lip (especially noticeable with the right side of the stage), and we don't know how the slope in the center will affect the match (as it is steeper than the ones seen in the legal Yoshi stages). Nevertheless, this should be a fun one to play with.

Kalos Pokemon League (No Hazards)
Without any hazards, we have the base form of the stage to play with. It is a stage with two vertical walls and platforms that go slightly offstage. I say this is a rather fair, yet unique layout that it would be cool to play with. Plus, this stage looks so good!

If Sharking Isn't a Problem:

Skyloft (No Hazards)
Without any hazards, we have this part of the stage to play with. The platforms are close to the stage, while two of are slanted and in unique places. If sharking doesn't become a problem (which I personally doubt it will), then this stage could be a cool pick. It's size does makes it's fate in doubles grim though...

If the Blastzones aren't a Problem:

Warioware, Inc. (No Hazards)
Similarly to Pokemon Stadium 2, Super Smash Flash 2 and Project M has demonstrated how fun this stage is without any hazards, and that is a solid stage in competitive play. However, both games have also demonstrated how volatile the stage blastzones are in determining if this stage is legal (as it was adjusted during development of both games to make it legal). If it isn't a problem, then this stage is definitely legal. This stage might even be a starter stage.

Arena Ferox (No Hazards)
Without any hazards, the stage layout seen above is what we get. However, this stage seems too large to be legal in singles, as it can promote camping. However, the layout may make this a popular doubles pick in it's place. We will have to wait and see.

Mushroom Kingdom U (No Hazards)
Without any hazards, the stage layout seen above is what we get. However, this stage seems too large to be legal in singles, as it can promote camping. However, the layout may make this a popular doubles pick in it's place. We will have to wait and see. (The power of copypaste! :p)

Pokemon Stadium
This is pretty much the most volatile stage in the stagelist.
With hazards on, we will have to deal with the transformations. On one hand, this stage with transformations has been legal in Melee and Brawl. Then again, the stage is very subject to many janky moments. In Melee, there are waveshine infinites on the wall (alongside other infinites), and there is a glitch where sometimes you could fall through the stage (it can happen in Brawl as well, but it is more rare and in different conditions). In Brawl, the windmills now act as a wall, and chaingrab infinites (mainly from Dedede) exists as well. I think this stage may be subject to being outclassed by other legal stages.
With hazards off, we now have a fair layout of the base form. On one hand, this proves legality. However, it has competition with Pokemon Stadium 2, whose hazardless form has already have proven fair and legal thanks to Project M and Super Smash Flash 2. All of this harms Pokemon Stadium's legality in tournaments.
The main reason why I didn't put this in the fifth category, is because this stage may ended up getting grouped together with Pokemon Stadium 2. :p

Kalos Pokemon League (No Hazards)
This stage looks very promising without any hazards. In comparison to Pokemon Stadium 2, the twin platforms are closer to the ledges, and walls exist. However, what harms it's legality is that it is too similar to Pokemon Stadium 2, while having walls at the same time. If, however, the platform shift to the ledges is significant enough to differentiate itself with Pokemon Stadium 2, then we could be having a cool counterpick stage in our hands.

Frigate Orpheon (No Hazards)
This stage has a very interesting layout. There are numerous factors that may affect the legality, such as the moving platform on the right area. That area creates a temporary wall, which may be beneficial or denigrating, depending on the character. If this isn't very game-changing, that may aid it's tournament legality, but it has steep competition with other stages. If it is legal, then it is definitely a counterpick.

Dream Land
This stage is virtually identical to Battlefield, but with the wind hazard added. Turning off hazards will, of course, make it too similar to Battlefield, so that is off the table. What will determine it's legality is how different and significant it's blastzones are in comparison to Battlefield's. It might be added to the stagelist to appeal to the 64 and Melee veterans anyways. :p

Wuhu Island (No Hazards)
This stage without hazards is simply this simple layout. It is unique, for the main platform can be phased through and it has a sloped edges. That being said, those said ledges can make this stage volatile, as we don't know if they are too match-inferring. We don't know if sharking is a problem, although I personally don't think it will. This one requires some testing to tell if it is legal. If it is, then it is a counterpick. It could potentially be legal in doubles.

Midgar (No Hazards)
Too similar to Battlefield, featuring with a different undershape, in a game where Battlefield forms exist. Enough said.

Wily Castle (No Hazards)
Without hazards, this stage is essentially what it's omega version looks like in SSB4. It doesn't have any Yellow Devil or platforms. At the end, this may not be legal because this stage is essentially a version of Final Destination with walls. Considering the number of stages already established, this may be too redundant to add.

Halberd (No Hazards)
This stage without hazards removes the Combo Cannon attacks. However, this stage still suffers from having low vertical blastzones, which means Latter City. In comparison to other more promising stages, I'll say no.

Rainbow Cruise (No Hazards)
At first this stage seems to be blessed without any hazards, in which we only have this ship layout. Even then, this layout has issues. There is a wall to the left that may promote infinites, or highly damaging combos. The ledges (particularly the left one), seems to have funny interactions. Finally, the uppermost platform may be the key to Latter City. So overall, I'll say no to this one.

Top Bottom