• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Combo-to-death Option (Needs help)

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
I've been using a really stellar and reliable combo that's been handy in quite a few tournament matches. I just need a little help with how to perfect it. It requires a DI read, and an off-stage hard read, but I think it's relatively simple.

First is to pop-up with a d-tilt and catch their DI forward or backward, (or no DI) with a wave dash into up-smash. At sub100 percents, this further sends them upward to where you can catch them with an up-air. This accumulates a buttload of damage, I'm not quite sure how much because I'm in bed typing this because I'm thinking about smash before bed, instead of figuring out percents on CPUs. I'll get data for this at some point. Moral of the story, it connects really smoothly.

Now is the tricky part. I've found that I can send them horizontally with the up-air towards the edge of the stage, and I've further caught opponents by leading into a missile wall spam. Yet, I'm almost positive you only need ONE really well aimed/ timed missile to catch them and send them off stage. Missiles have a lot of knock back but not enough hit stun to follow up, but you can potentially run off stage and dair them to oblivion. This doesn't just work on scrubs, I've landed this on people more skilled than I am. I can't reliably kill but I lead them off stage, and that's a huge eye opener.

What do you guys think?? Can anyone that's good put this in their arsenal, perfect it, and make it OP?

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Pizzacato, while yes down tilt to up smash is an effective combo, this is pretty common knowledge that the two link together. You shouldn't be so focused on trying to figure out extending a combo with a missile.... thats just one combo... then hitting someone off stage with a missile. I don't know how to say this any other way than, this post is pointless and you shouldnt practice combos against CPUs because they don't adapt, so something that 0-death a cpu may not even work against a human player. You most likely don't even need to WD, you can just crawl into up smash too, and these are just mix up options, and arent something you should drill into your game, because reading DI isnt a set combo, its just one of many choices you have, and if your opponent notices that you keep going for the same read, they will adapt and punish you for it....

Last edited:

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Klit is right for the most part, I think the secret to unlocking combos to any character is just knowing which move is best when they're otg.
For example, dtilt->read->usmash under platform->sh dair to pick them up from otg->jump bomb-nair.
Granted, Samus can't pick people up multiple times like falco and his dair, but you could atleast do it once to further a combo. That way, you can't get punished.
The only really guaranteed part from your combo is dtilt to up smash, everything else is based around tech chase/reads so you're gonna have to play around with which of Samus's moves can pick them up to have an actual "zero to death"

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
As a rule, most combos past two hits aren't guaranteed with Samus. Samus is the kind of character that relies more on guaranteed edgeguard follow-ups than combos for her damage.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
I know these kind of "rules" are heavily establish, due to the grand difficulty Samus has in stringing combos. But would it be too hard to imagine a slightly different approach? Or I should I just get off these boards?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's not hard. That's why many, many people before you have tried, and ultimately they decided that set combos really just weren't Samus's thing.

Litt

Samus
I know these kind of "rules" are heavily establish, due to the grand difficulty Samus has in stringing combos. But would it be too hard to imagine a slightly different approach? Or I should I just get off these boards?
Its not a different approach dude, its just knowing all the options samus has and making the character your own. It is very difficult to string together combos with samus, but it certainly is possible, and is done on the higher level. You shouldn't get off these boards, but inquire about things rather than try to completely develop them yourself, because chances are they have already been thought of and tried. Anyway dude, just have fun and enjoy the game, and if you want to experiment with longer stringing combos, the only thing I have ever found to have more potential is rising fairs to fast fall up airs, I was able to inverse pillar a marth across FD in melee with that before but its was hella strange and I haven't been able to replicate it to the extent to which I was able to do it in that game.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Yeah there's no way to develop that play style on my own. Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive ju-jus. I like falling up-airs, too. I just wish it had more hit stun.

Litt

Samus
Yeah there's no way to develop that play style on my own. Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive ju-jus. I like falling up-airs, too. I just wish it had more hit stun.
*Fast fall up air and make sure the last hit connects because then it does have enough hit stun

Top Bottom