• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

potential and smash.... let me know

Bnin23

Smash Rookie
So I constantly hear my friend mog say "potential this, potential that" Or "this person will be good, they have alot of potential". And i usually just hear it and brush it off, until now. I don't understand how one player can show more potential than another. I mean of course there are instances where it is obvious. One player may have more interest in the game, and simply learn things faster. But when these obvious details are not included in the thought, how is this "potential measured"? What is that certain "it" that makes some people good, where as others cant get to that point. Is it some smash gene? We all have put in our hours of practice to "crystalize our tech skill" but besides that, what is that something that makes certain players advance so rapidly, and so noticeably? I myself live in south Jersey, where there is no smash scene whatsoever, and the only time i can truly improve is when I travel, and practice with better smashers. And after each visit, my power level surely increases lol. but compare me to someone who has a constant flow of competition and a healthy smash scene around them. This person might not learn as fast as I do, but the oppurtunity to imporve is always there. So who has more potential as a smasher? what factor is more important in creating a "good smasher". Is it the surrounding, or the smasher himself? Is it the time of day we practice, or do certain tv shows promote smash growth?? Im just curious, let me know what ya think.

Velocity

Smash Lord
play the other 10 snj players that complain that theres no one to play, and people look at stuff different then others theres alwasy a % of population that excells at anything over other people, someone people just learn faster and natural talent could just be refering to reaction speed , finger speed and cordination, tricking people to do what you want or predicting, blah blah i lost interest in this post

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
Interesting question. But yes, talent and skill differ. Talent is what you are born with while skill is what you earn by experience. It seems that your friend mog might judge the person by how long they have been playing in relation to how well they play. It's the only way I can see someone judging someone's "potential" or "talent.". Kind of how you find density of an object, it's "How well the person performs" over "Time they have been playing." These are just random thoughts. Don't listen to me.

Two.Of.Hearts

Smash Apprentice
I have a few friends who just kind of play a little here and there with me and others. And it's obvious, with some of them, that if they played as often and with as much interest as I do, they would be much better than me.

On a separate note, is this the right forum for this?

Spellbound

Smash Cadet
<---forum noob

so yeah, idk where else it would go, but it is a nice question.

I think seeing the potential that player could have is something to judge in person and doesnt have any kind of formula. I've seen alot of players who play regualrly but its quite obvious they are not getting better, and seems they'll stay that way for awhile...
I havn't really played others where I could tell myself that they would be a great player, cuz I would play other people outside my group of friends at these teen nights at the YMCA rofl, so just about everybody that came in sucked. Inside my group of friends I'd play smash with, me and ym friend Greg would progress evenly cuz we would play all the time with each other. Our other friend Ryne played, and got alot better... but he just wasnt close to the same level as us. Another one of our friends tried playing for awhile, he got a lil better but just over all sucked and quit playing.

But if you had to judge a potential good playing ability in a person, I'd have to say it is the person who has played with a group of friends but doesnt always, has played different characters efficiantly, and has taken long breaks from playing the game, over all having maybe at least 2 years ellapsed time in playing. This being said, that doesnt mean he can have a small amount of actual playing time over these years, the player would had to have significant playing time and experiences. But like I said, the potential skill of a player is not accurately measured by statistics, its something best judge in person, through interaction.

/end rant :chuckle:

Top Bottom