• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential 4th Unlock for Sonic??

Nighthunter387

Smash Rookie
hey all. i also posted this same thread on the BC forums, if anyone can help with this, or has a related story, please let me know.

So far, we have 3 confirmed ways to unlock Sonic:
1) 300 vs matches
2) completing SSE
3) beat classic mode with 10 characters

however, reports have been popping up of people unlocking sonic through vs mode much earlier. multiple accounts of people saying they havent gone to classic mode or SSE at all, and only playing vs matches, and unlocking sonic randomly before other low characters such as captain falcon, ROB, even as low as falco. this tells me that sonic can be unlocked before 50 matches.

i have a theory on how to do this, but i need someone to test it for me. in melee, they had records for ground distance, jump distance, fall distance, and flight distance. i think if you get ground distance (either total, or for one character) to a certain number, it will unlock sonic. THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED IN ANY WAY, IT IS SPECULATION ONLY!! i tested it on melee, and ground distance counts as physically moving on the ground (not using Fox Illusion or anything similar), and each step you take is approximately 1 foot.

so i need someone who has the game, and doesnt have sonic to test my theory. go to vs mode, set it for 2 human players, 1 stock (or more if u choose) and pick a fairly simple stage. shadow moses island, final destination, bridge of eldin, smashville, battlefield...all these would be good choices. have one character (preferably someone fast like sheik or fox) run from one end of the stage to the other, and go back and forth, doing so for a certain amount of time like say 4-5 minutes of just constantly running. after u think uve done enough, end the match by KOing someone or having someone jump off.

100 feet is too short, so im guessing 1,000 feet or maybe in the range of 5,000 feet would be accurate (or, 5,280 feet = 1 mile)

if someone could please test this for me and see if it works, we could all benefit. thanks!

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
I've heard someone else say this too...If it works, then its the first thing im doing when i get brawl.
better than doing classic with 10 chars.

Nighthunter387

Smash Rookie
if the game comes out, and i havent received positive confirmation, im gonna do it anyways. best case scenario, i get sonic first. worst case scenario, i waste 5 minutes. oh noez. lol

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
The fourth way to unlock Sonic is beating Classic on intense with Bruce Lee on one life, no continues, no bathroom breaks, dancing on one toe.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
beat classic with barry bonds and you will unlock a rusty used sirenge as the 36th and last playable character

hamsterboy9

Smash Rookie
Okay, do we really need more people to do that kinda thing? Seriously, so many good forums go bad with stuff like this. Back on subject...

I'd personally like to know if that works too. I wanted Sonic to be playable at the start but noooooo...meh, oh well. Goin' through classic mode 10 times won't be that bad, I s'pose...

Nighthunter387

Smash Rookie
march 9th, i plan to do a video of me firing up the game for the first time, filming everything and i will do my test for proof, if someone hasnt done it by then

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
u just need a lot less versus matches than 300. my friend unlocked him b4 characters like lucario, rob, and so on.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
u just need a lot less versus matches than 300. my friend unlocked him b4 characters like lucario, rob, and so on.
But his point is tht 300 matches is what is SUPPOSED to be what gets Sonic, so it has to be something besides those vs. matches that unlocks him. The problem is, no one knows what it is.

I personally don't care, since the first thing I'll be doing is beating SSE. That'll get me all the characters as it is.

Afo

Smash Apprentice
I was actually one of those who got sonic without completiing the SSE, classic mode or 300 vs matches. Still don't know how it happened, but have herd of this running a cetain dsitance theory. I'll have a friend of mine who recently got Brawl test it and post the results.

Suna

Smash Journeyman
I hope thats true cuz that would be way faster to do than playing Classic 10 times..but while I'm playing classic I could be unlocking the other charaters while I'm doing that.

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't be surprised if the "10 classic runs" is actually a false method. We've learned Luigi's not playing Classic on Easy mode, but playing Classic without using continues, so who's to say Sonic's unlock method isn't something different?

LAWZ

Smash Cadet
I personally don't care, since the first thing I'll be doing is beating SSE. That'll get me all the characters as it is.
My friend speculated this...and I think he has a valid point. He is in belief that you cannot unlock all of the characters in one run through of SSE. He thinks there will be branching paths seeing as how in all the sse videos I've seen you can choose what character to fight with or whatever. So I don't know I think it's probably going to be something along those lines how you will have to play SSE more than once...

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
My friend speculated this...and I think he has a valid point. He is in belief that you cannot unlock all of the characters in one run through of SSE. He thinks there will be branching paths seeing as how in all the sse videos I've seen you can choose what character to fight with or whatever. So I don't know I think it's probably going to be something along those lines how you will have to play SSE more than once...
Everyone can be unlocked in SSE. Your friend is right, but this doesn't apply to the topic at hand, since unlocking someone in SSE is... well, the unlock-by-SSE method.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
Yup, this same exact thing happened to me. Quite a while ago. It happened immediately after we unlocked lucario. The very next match after unlocking lucario we got Sonic. Needless to say, I was extremely happy.

Afo

Smash Apprentice
OK it's Official, there is a 4th method for unlocking Sonic!!

I went to my freinds house yesterday, and we ran on eldin bridge for about 5 min with capt falcon, but it didn't work, after that we tried on final destination again just runnniong with capt Falcon and fox, after aroun 10 min we ended the match and Sonic was unlocked, the last character my fraind had unlocked before that was snake I beleive. what`s lef to to find out now is the exact distance that needs to be traveled, because that I'm not sure of

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice

I went to my freinds house yesterday, and we ran on eldin bridge for about 5 min with capt falcon, but it didn't work, after that we tried on final destination again just runnniong with capt Falcon and fox, after aroun 10 min we ended the match and Sonic was unlocked, the last character my fraind had unlocked before that was snake I beleive. what`s lef to to find out now is the exact distance that needs to be traveled, because that I'm not sure of
Awesome!

There's no way to check distance run in records? I thought there was a way to do it in Melee.

Joshers744

Smash Rookie
Awesome!

There's no way to check distance run in records? I thought there was a way to do it in Melee.
I figure there is, but after running around for 10 minutes it's probably hard to tell exactly how far it was when it unlocked Sonic. Glad to hear you can get him like this though!

Afo

Smash Apprentice
I actually have a small vid (just the last part of the match) wich I'll be uploading later, it shows the distance we both traveled, bu I still don't know mow much is the exact (minimum) distance that is needed for sonic to be unlocked by this method.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Well, once we know how far you went, it shouldn't be too hard to narrow it down. Thanks for taking the time to figure this out!

timidshadow

Smash Apprentice
I would unlock him through classic since I enjoy playing that mode anyway, unless a friend of mine wishes to play all those VS matches with me but I probably won't wait for that oppertunity and unlock him on my own.

Nighthunter387

Smash Rookie

awesome, this is exactly what we needed! i would still suggest checking distance so we get a general idea though. thanks again for your help!

J18

Smash Journeyman
sweet, you peoples need to figure this out so i can unlock him quickly.
it would be much appreciated

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I have a method of testing.

1. start a new file (DUH).
2. Go to Versus mode.
3. Put two human characters.
4. Choose final destination, time unlimited.
5. Run side to side on Final Destination with player one, ignoring player two (get P2 to jump over P1 when P1 comes near).
6. After a certain amount of runs (20?) quit the match.
7. Record the amount of runs.
8. Repeat steps 4-7
9. When Sonic comes, look at the amount of runs done.
10. Measure how many steps final Destination has to get from one side to the other.
11. ???
12. Profit!

Nighthunter387

Smash Rookie
yeah, this is what ive been saying all along. i need someone to just break down and do this, but it seems like no one in the world has an SD card, so they can move their current file there, then erase it off their system and start a new one

Mitsurento

Smash Rookie
Ok guys here it is i DOnt have th actull # of steps BUT i do have this

I unlocked sonic as the 1st character

Me and a friend got on Fox's and ran on FD back an forth for 12 min (Constant running, no jumping, no fighting.)

After the 12 min we jumped off FD to our death. endof the match Sonic attack us.

So with 2 ppl its about 10-15 min of running:cool:
With 1 its like 30 min of that sheeeeeit:crazy:

Take your pick, all i know is i gots me, my sonic on the 10th lol:demon:

AltitudeMints

Smash Rookie
Ok guys here it is i DOnt have th actull # of steps BUT i do have this

I unlocked sonic as the 1st character

Me and a friend got on Fox's and ran on FD back an forth for 12 min (Constant running, no jumping, no fighting.)

After the 12 min we jumped off FD to our death. endof the match Sonic attack us.

So with 2 ppl its about 10-15 min of running:cool:
With 1 its like 30 min of that sheeeeeit:crazy:

Take your pick, all i know is i gots me, my sonic on the 10th lol:demon:
Great help, thanks

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
alright, no flaming becuz i myself know its quite illogical BUT i thought the same thing in melee. In melee u get mew2 after 20 hours of u fighting a computer OR just 10 if it was human on human. now with that in mind could it translate to 300 v matches human v comp. or 150 matches human v human. add 4 players and u may actually get him in 75 matches? who knows? maybe this makes such little sense its right or so much sense that ive gotten peoples hopes up.

im keeping this up becuz im proud of my logic i put into it, but i didn't see the post above me so i accept that i have posted an EPIC FAIL.
-_-

hamsterboy9

Smash Rookie
Cool, it works...

Does anyone have any idea how long it would take if I used Shiek to unlock Sonic that way?

Top Bottom