• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Post Your Smash Fest Experiences!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I got one match after about 30-45 minutes. I spent most of the match just trying to get used to the Wii U Pro Controller. I also got to play a Smash Run demo. This game definitely feels closer to Brawl than Melee. I'm not really good enough and didn't get enough time to figure out anything else. I'll enjoy the game either way but I hope they make it faster to properly hit the sweetspot between Melee and Brawl, because right now it feels a bit slower than I'd like. I played as MegaMan and didn't really find out anything new about him other than his D-air is a bit slower than I thought it'd be. Also Koffing is in Smash Run. I can't remember anything else right now.

kylexv

Smash Master
I got 2 matches after 2 hours. Didn't like some of the Pro controllers controls. Felt that grab should of been the triggers and shield the shoulder buttons. Played Mega Man and Bowser. Mega Man probably takes getting used to due to his mostly projectile moveset. Bowser feels very similar to Brawl, except for slightly increased attack power and speed.

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I played 2 games at the Smash-fest in Gaithersburg. Game 1 I was Villager, and Game 2, I was Mac. I somehow won both games, even though I barely did anything as Villager.

Villager: -All his colors in the demo were the ones shown on the Pic of the Day.

-Neutral B never came into use because the people I was playing with didn't really hit me with any projectiles. However, I still think it seems like a versatile, awesome move if you can manage to use it.

-Side B was the Lloyd Rocket, which seems good to throw out every now and then. Hopping on it to increase the power of the move doesn't seem very practical cause it looks predictable and easy to stop, and it'd leave you open if your enemy just shielded. You can ride it for recovery; it goes a long way and you can press B to hop off. It leaves you helpless so you cannot use this and then Up B to recover.

-Up B controls exactly like the balloons in Balloon Fight. You have to keep tapping B to fly up, and the momentum feels similar to Balloon Fight. If you tap down, you stop the Up B and fall, similar to Peach fast falling with her umbrella, but you can't put your balloons back up again. Trying to attack during the Up B also makes you helpless if I recall, but not sure on that. It seems like this move may leave Villager open to attack because if you recover high, he'll fall slow and you can just hit him, while flying upwards, you can just pop his balloons.

-Down B seems to have a lot of potential. You can actually set up the tree in like 2 seconds by just mashing Down B. The hard part is actually hitting someone with it. The part where the tree grows actually does knockback and can kill. But it's hard cutting it down to attack. Other people can attack it and make it fade away, and I'm not positive on this, but it seems like the tree may even go away if you take too long to cut it. It may have been the Yellow Devil's attacking that caused it to go away.

-Neutral Air seemed bad. The Villager does a slow flip that didn't appear to do much damage or knockback. Its slowness also makes it seem like it can be easily punished.

-Forward air and back air are both slingshots that have decent range and, as we saw in the April Direct, power, but because the Villager is floaty and the actual rock the Villager shoots is small and the move lags a bit after it comes out, it was hard to effectively hit with both of these moves.

-Up air was turnips. Seemed okay, but like his other air moves, lasted a long time while not seeming too powerful.

-Down Air was also turnips. I didn't hit anyone with them though.

-Up Smash was fireworks. Didn't hit anyone with them, they take a bit to start up but seem to have great range so I think this will be a really good move.

-Forward Smash was the Bowling Ball. It was very hard to hit anyone with this move as on the ground, it had barely any range. I predict that like the E3 2013 trailer showed, it'll be good to drop on people from above.

-Down Smash was the shovel. Didn't hit anyone with it but seems like one of Villager's faster, effective moves that could serve well with its burying abilities.

-Dash attack was dropping the plant, seemed to have pretty good knockback and range what with the pot flying forward, but seems like you'll get punished if the opponent blocks.

-Overall, it's hard to describe what I think of Villager. I really want to try him more, but I think he is a character that is hard to use and you really have to learn what he's capable of. He seems like he would be best at being patient and zoning with the Lloyd rocket and defending against any projectiles with Pocket, rather than being in your face. His air game seems awkward because he is floaty and his air attacks come out and stay out for an oddly long time, so I imagine it'll be a weakness of his. They seem like decent attacks to say "get out of my face", but not really like "get off of me." His only "get off of me" move seems to be his jab because it's fast. I think Villager players will have to rely on his defensive capabilities, and putting up the tree either as a wall, or a possible attack if people get to close at the wrong time. I look forward to playing him more, but probably when I get the game, rather than trying to learn him in 2 minutes on a hectic stage....feakin Yellow Devil.

Little Mac:

-He has some unique colors like white and black, but also some based off Punch Out Wii, like his red + blue outfit in the Major Circuit, and his Yellow outfit in the Title Defense mode.

-He is a lot more intuitive, as my friend said, than Villager. Run and smash.

-Rapid A combo was a great way to rack up damage and then hit people away.

-Dash attack is like, the prime move casuals would do with Little Mac. He lunges forward and punches the ground. It's fast and powerful, but you can definitely get punished if blocked.

-Neutral B wasn't very intuitive at first. I thought you had to hold it, and then let go when you wanted Mac to charge forward, but it seemed like instead, you tap B to charge, and then tap B to go again, like Sheik's needles in Brawl, I think? Not charging it much still does decent knockback, but you don't go far and you still lag a bit at the end, so that can probably be punished.

-KO Uppercut is not as good as Nintendo made it out to be. It's still pretty awesome, but it's not really a OHKO, and it's hard to actually pull off. I killed my friend when he was Megaman at like 50, and even then, he did not go absolutely rocketing. It seemed like he could have maybe survived if he tried hard enough. Your meter resets if you die. Next, and I'm not sure on these, but it may not be possible to do in the air. Either it's that, taking too much damage once you have the KO makes you lose it, or my friend did it by accident and got interrupted and lost it. However, Mac can cover some distance with it, he lunges forward a bit as if to home in on someone if they're close enough.

-Side B is pretty cool. It's like Falcon's air side B in Brawl and PM in that you lunge forward, punch, and then continue forward with momentum. Seems like if you're not careful you can accidentally hit someone with the attack and fly off the edge, so you should be careful. Not sure what happens if the move is blocked.

-Up B definitely does make up its recovery ability with attack power. It's a decent move to chase airborne people, considering Mac's airgame. Surprisingly, at least on the ground, I was able to make this move drift to the side, like you can with Wario's Up B. Not sure if this works in the air, but if that's the case, then that means Mac's recovery is a liiiiittle better than we thought. Speaking of which, walkoff stages are instantly a huge benefit to Mac because he doesn't have to worry about recovery. It's a good thing his airgame is still bad, otherwise that would be ridiculously good for Mac. Well, this doesn't apply in competitive play since walkoffs are #BANNED but whatever haha.

-Mac's airgame is certainly bad. I would compare it to Roy's in the sense of how Roy's air moves have poor hitstun, but of course, Mac's range is worse cause he doesn't have a sword and his air moves are a bit laggy. Still, I could see how, if timed well, Mac's airmoves could still be okay every now and then to throw in and surprise the opponent, like his nair and fair, but it'd have to be timed and spaced well, and only to extend combos, probably never as an approach. His up air is really odd looking though. His body is positioned like it his for his Side B, but he punches a bit upwards in a very small arc. I didn't hit anyone with it, but it looks like it may be his worst air move haha.

-Up Smash is powerful, has good range, and not much lag after.

-Forward Smash doesn't seem to have as much range in the demo as it seemed to have in Mac's trailer, but maybe that's just me. Nonetheless, it's still really powerful. The Forward Smash angled up/uppercut is also good. It's not as powerful as the upsmash, but it covers more distance, so it's still a good option. I didn't get to hit anyone with the angled down version, but I am curious as to what it does. Judging from what Sakurai said, it properly has a lot of hitstun or it like stuns the opponent. Who knows?

-Rolls cover a lot of distance and can be done very quickly in succession.

-Overall, I really like Little Mac. He seems like a character that can be easy to play for casuals, but at the same time, tricky to master for more serious players, as he has obvious weaknesses that likely can be exposed. I also just loved the way he felt with his speed. His jumps were pitiful, but I expected that. He also seems to have meh airspeed.

I liked the speed/feel of the game. Even when I was floaty Villager, I thought the game's speed was a good amount. I'm just worried about the pacing, and by that I mean, stuff like having less landing lag with aerials, and being able to get better combos off grabs. It seems like it is possible to have combos with down throws, but only with certain characters and at certain percents. As we saw in the grand finals, Kirby's down throw seemed nearly useless. Hopefully they iron this stuff out, but I liked what I played so far and look forward to more.

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
My experience with Smash 3DS/Wii U at Best Buy(Long read, apologies in advance)

I think going into it the biggest question we all had was what would the crowd be like? Some areas depending on where you live have one Best Buy. Others have several which greatly increase or diminish the crowd. There is only one Best Buy in my area so the crowd was moderate. I'd say there were about around 55-75 people in front of me which might of intimidated an average person, but if you are a college graduate like me that specializes in nursing, this line was child play. Overall, I’d say I was waiting for around 1 hr and 15 mins before I finally started playing. The fans that I encountered were mixed. Some were very excited for Smash 4 and could not wait to play, while others were neutral and new to smash just looking to have a good time. Some were negative and already had it made up in their mind that the game wouldn’t be anything like melee and was simply there to confirm it. The best way I could describe the line of players was like a mystery novel. Just a general mixture of emotions where you know something is coming, but don't know if it will be good or bad.

While we were waiting, a rep from Nintendo was allowing any 3DS owners to play a demo of Smash Run. Better still, if you didn't have a 3DS (or just forgot to bring it) there were two 3DS XL's open for you to play Smash Run Demo as well. To bide the time, I played it myself and I was shockingly surprised. The graphics are very good. And the frame rate was solid as well. It really felt like I was playing on a Wii with sharper graphics. I didn't feel any lag input for the majority of my controls. Smash Run is pretty much a hybrid of Kirby Air Ride, Subspace and Adventure Mode from melee. It’s really fun to power up your character so you can see how strong they can become. You move around for 5 mins, just like Direct described fighting all sorts of foes from different franchises. Once time runs out, you had a short 1 min battle with 3 AI’s with set stats. I was using Samus. Her moveset remained unchanged, but she felt much faster than she was in Brawl, although the reach on her grapple hook seemed smaller. Maybe it’s just me.

I only know a handful of people in my personal life that own a Wii U, so to be honest I'd never seen a Wii U pro Controller up close much less held one. I know the design is similar to the SNES controller, but I was a Genesis guy (Sorry SNES fans). That said, when I was finally able to play Smash Wii U I SD'ed almost instantly simply because I didn't know what buttons were what (Long time GCN controller users already know where I'm going with this). When you play with a certain controller for so long you just automatically know where the buttons are and how to use them accordingly. I couldn’t figure it out initially and paid the price. Despite this, I was able to adapt and learn the controller enough to bring it back where it went to Sudden Death (I was DK, opponent was Megaman) and win the match. It became pretty clear that I’m spoiled on GCN controller and although the GCN adapter is an option for smash 4 (an option I will gladly take), I will still learn how to play with other methods for reasons out of pride.

As far as the game itself goes, it was really hard to concept or grasp anything in short two FFA 2 min matches with items everywhere. I made some mental notes while playing.

-Graphically, the game looks amazing. Each character truly feels different.

-Dash Dancing is impossible (This really upset me)

-Obviously no Wavedashing

-Aerial lag. Atrocious cool down time.

-Low% hitstun. Combos are very much possible

-Short ceiling/possible nerf on smashes? On Battlefield with DK, I killed a WFT with my up smash at around 65%. I know that DK is a strong character, but even I was shocked at this. I noticed at the invitational Zero’s ZSS died off an up throw from Kirby off the top at 90%. As DK, I got up smashed by a Fox over 100% and I still lived. I know in previous games, DK has been heavy, but Fox’s upsmash has always been one of the most reliable and powerful kill moves in the game. It’s possible some smash attacks were nerfed, or the ceiling is just shorter, or maybe DI works differently.

-Jumping out of shield still works

-Game loading screen took some time

-It IS faster than Brawl. How much faster? I’m not good with Math, but if I had to give a number, I’d say about 1.5 the speed of Brawl, but still nowhere near Melee’s speed. As a DK main, I could instantly feel the difference. I didn’t feel as slow or bulky like in Brawl

In a perfect world, I’d have a GCN adapter, a few 1v1’s with no items and around 5-10 mins to get a better grasp. Oh well. To sum it up, it’s pretty clear this isn’t melee. If you are looking for melee 2.0, you will be disappointed, but I wouldn’t go as far as to dismiss this as brawl 2.0 either. It feels like a strange hybrid somewhere in the middle between the two games. What I’ve always loved about Smash is that each game feels different from the last. I like the fact that it’s not like melee (and I love melee btw). Also, you have to remember that this is still in the demo phases and more things can be done. I’m willing to give this game a chance. To end off, I will say that should you have the opportunity to play the 3DS version, please take it. The game is very fun and many players are sleeping on it. Try it out. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Had some fun at the Short Pump Best Buy on West Broast Street. Met Andrew and several other fellas. Got a bunch of streetpass teams from Fire Emblem: Awakening, did some Pokemon battles, and just chatted it up about Smash and Pokemon and the rest.

There was a Nintendo employee who literally had 3DS units chained to a harness on his body (I know, right?) who let anyone try Smash Run for 3DS. Man, it was very hard trying to get the hang of the controls. I picked DK. The enemies in Smash Run are also all very different, and some of them are stupid powerdful, like the grim reaper guy from Kid Icarus. The Pokemon Gastly seems impervious, and follows you renlentlessly. The only thing you can do is run away from it, which is frustrating.

I was grateful for the practice, though, and ended the challenge on the New Super Mario Bros. stage. I got the Golden DK power-up by collecting coins. It drastically raises your power, and looks really cool. The biggest hurdle for enjoying the 3DS Smash? The tiny, tiny button layout. The huge buttons of the Gamecube controller really spoiled me, I guess.

Playing the WiiU version was a little better. They had Pro controllers set up. The 4 main buttons are still really small, but the triggers and second stick made a big difference. I guess if I played X-Box games, I'd have been better prepared for the controls. I ended up waiting over 3 hours to play Smash WiiU!

First, I played as DK. Getting used to the controls was tough, since I don't own a Pro controller. Being a huge target means I got beat up A LOT. I struggled to keep my buttons straight under pressure, and even had some guy behind me remark about "that annoying DK," which... I mean, I was just like, what? *I'm* being annoying? I'm practically sandbagging, here! DK's roll attack is cool, but it's just too slow. The roll feels like it ought to travel at twice the speed it does. The new grounded Up B works pretty nice, hitting from the front. DK's cumbersome attacks and huge frame meant I wasn't able to do much of anything with him without getting punished like crazy. FFAs, man.

Second match, I opted for Marth. Marth was a lot easier to maneuver, due to his smaller size, fast speed, and quick attacks. Marth felt great to control. Dair seems even stronger than Melee, or at least, spikes your target faster, I think. Dancing Blade I had a hard time doing much with. Nair and F Smash seem to be mostly the same. I started "C-sticking" with the second analog once I felt more comfortable with the controller, and this helped me get a lot more hits in.

Last edited:

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
First, I played as DK. Getting used to the controls was tough, since I don't own a Pro controller. Being a huge target means I got beat up A LOT. I struggled to keep my buttons straight under pressure, and even had some guy behind me remark about "that annoying DK," which... I mean, I was just like, what? *I'm* being annoying? I'm practically sandbagging, here! DK's roll attack is cool, but it's just too slow. The roll feels like it ought to travel at twice the speed it does. The new grounded Up B works pretty nice, hitting from the front. DK's cumbersome attacks and huge frame meant I wasn't able to do much of anything with him without getting punished like crazy. FFAs, man..
I feel your pain dude. :dk2:

Last edited:

CloneHat

Smash Champion
It was surprisingly good. The biggest problem would be how dashing, and by extension the movement game, is exceptionally stiff and restrictive.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I feel your pain dude. :dk2:
Hey man, I've enjoyed seeing some videos of you playing over the years. It's funny we both enjoy DK and Mewtwo... I wonder if there's a connection between the two characters? You're the second guy I met on Smashboards who reps those two under his name.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I was watching people play mostly. Little Mac was a crowd favorite. We only saw ONLY ONE KO Punch. It hit the Smash Ball and Rosaluma killed him. We had Mega Man's Final Smash a couple of times.

Last edited:

Lumenebrae

Smash Rookie
Here in STL, just under a 5 hour wait (arrived at 4, played at 8:40) to play the game even after they cut it to only 1 round per 4 people.
I didn't get too much out of the game (even though I won), finding myself confused by the Pro Controller. However, I think Marth's USmash comes out faster.

For some reason, the triggers never functioned as grab for me, only shield, but that definitely saved me from a few dumb punishes.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This game was pretty fun to play. The pro controller was a bit odd to get used to, but it was pretty fluid to play with, at least from my POV.

The first match, I played Rosaluma, and got 2nd. My second, I played Greninja, and won due to sudden death. All in all, I had a good time, and I'm going back Saturday.

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
Had a great time at the Baybrook location in Texas. Not sure there was a 3DS version there. I'm hearing there was at Best Buys. Oh well, had no time to play it.

The Drive: We took an hour only because we had mistakenly went to one location. The strange thing is that location was said to be a participating Best Buy on Nintendo's official site, just not on Best Buy's site. We should have called and asked before we went there. We planned to be at least 2 hours early, got to a Smash Fest location 30 minutes early.

The Wait: It took almost 3 hours to play the game. The line reached around the entire kitchen appliance section of the store. Not incredibly huge. At least we ain't talking about other places like in New York. It almost didn't feel worth it to me. I think our Best Buy had the greatest method for organizing the players. They took names (first name and last initial) in order through the line and had a survey asking how they came to know of the event. They called out of that list the names so people cutting was not a problem. Everyone was so fortunate such efforts were made to ensure such an organized event.
Cool bit of all the waiting was talking with other people. Funny thing at Best Buy was that there was a mom and her kid who went to the event and it seemed to mom was most stoked to play it. She was cool, I just found it funny it wasn't the other way around.

The Watch: We also watched other people play once we got close enough to see. Every time that Megaman Final Smash came out, everyone went nuts! We had some Little Mac one-hit KO moves that sent the crowd into a loud cheer. Greninja got most played. The New Super Mario Bros stage was also mostly played.

The Play: It was 2 matches per each 4 people called to play. Each match was 2 minutes long. Best score wins. Used Pro-Controller as I guess was the same in other Smash Fest locations. I played with my 2 brothers and this small kid. I had played as Bowser both times. Yeah I think I should have tried one newcomer or at least a different character but I was stoked about Bowser with his new powerful stature and moves. I have fun and won both times. His attacks hit like a truck so kills weren't hard to come by. I love how he plays now. He feels like a boss with strong hits that towers over his opponents. It wasn't enough time to get a feel for the game but I loved it. It does play closer to Brawl than Melee, has it's own little things and I had fun without all the shortcomings Brawl had like tripping or dodging out of hitstun. No details about it. I am not that observant to catch it all. No Smash Balls showed up for us in any of the two matches. Oh well.

The Loot: Got all sorts of things. What was there but didn't bother getting was this Disney Calender with some Nintendo stuff on it (I don't get the connection) and some Bravely Default cards. Well I did but I gave them to my older brother who'd probably be more interested. They really aren't anything special.

Content: Mario Kart 8 Flag, Wii Fit U Headband, Smash Brother Stickers, Smash Brothers Buttons.

It was fun and I look forward to playing it even more. I think it could turn out to be a solid game. Wonder what kinds of things we will see at release when it's finished.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I attended the Smashfest at Glenn Bernie, Maryland. And boy it was quite the wait. Arrived around 3:45pm and didn't play until 7:45, so about a four hour wait. But, I kept myself busy with playing my 3DS and even got to check out the 3DS demo as well. Smash Run was a fun little game and I could see myself playing the 3DS version more if given the chance.

The crowd was pretty fun to be with too. Ever now and then we'd all start yelling when Megaman used his Final Smash, or we'd all start chanting YES! It was great, honestly. And then we get to my hands-on with the demo. Now, I'm just starting to view Smash from a competitive point of view and I have a tough time picking out everything, but this is how I felt.

Villager - Villager seems like he can be a lot more difficult of a character to get use to. His moves seem to require specific setups, which may be why we get moves like his shovel. The bowling ball was a very awkward side smash, due simply to the fact that it hits right in front of you and that's it. But, I feel it might be one of his stronger moves. In the air is where I felt the most awkward as the villager. Both his fair and bair are the slingshot, and while they do have some good knockback and power, I feel they were hard to hit. His Uair is decent, and his dair felt great, possibly being able to spike enemies. One of the other things I noticed is that, if you get the Llyoid rocket to hit with you riding on it, Villager will hop off and it puts you close enough for a follow up with maybe the slingshot or another move. Overall, Villager will take some getting use to and will not be a character that can rush into battle. The player will have to be calm.

Greninja - A vastly different character than Villager. Greninja can rush in and put pressure on his opponents. I was not able to pull off Shadow Sneak effectively, but I have seen it to be a good move. Substitute has a lot of delay if you whiff it. Water Shuriken looks really good, but for some reason I was rarely using it. And all of his moves come out quick. While fighting with Greninja, I realized that I was trying to use a Smash attack with the right analog stick, and figured out I wasn't playing with a Gamecube controller (Almost wanted to facepalm myself right then and there.) His dair drops fast and was very fun to use. And finally, I was able to use his Final Smash and live in a lot of hype and glory as the entire crowd behind me cried out. Overall, I did not do Greninja justice, but I feel he will be a lot of fun to use with a bit more practice.

I enjoyed myself today. The game is a bit faster than Brawl, and the biggest thing I can say is that every time I sent something flying, it felt good. All the hits are solid. It definitely wanted me to play it again, so I think I'm sold on this game. My friends who were with me also enjoyed themselves as well and all wanted another chance to play it again.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
So, here's my experience from SW Ohio:

- Got there right at 4PM. Line was already backed down one aisle (the unit was in a back corner), and around to the front. It was long enough that we were asked by employees/associates to move the line to go down a different aisle, which we did without any fuss.
- Learned they expected a turnout of 50-75, but instead had roughly 250 attendees (note to Nintendo: MORE LOCATIONS PLEASE. This was one of only 5 in the entire state. Bad planning on NoA's part).
- Also learned that due to demand, the coin offer for pre-ordering SSBU /SSB3DS was changed. All preorders are eligible, with delivery upon pickup. This is a welcome change from simply the first 70. The coin comes with its own plastic case, and has the SSB 3DS/WiiU logo on one side, and the Smash emblem on the other.
- Initially was set up as 5 minute slots, allowing for two 2-minute FFAs. After falling behind, and one crash/freeze transitioning from battle to results, followed by some technical difficulties, was shortened to one 2-minute FFA. Once this started, the timeslots were caught up with quickly and even finished early, allowing players that stuck around to queue up for a second try.
- Participants were given:
-- Choice of 1: Mario Kart 8 checkered flag, Super Mario 3D Land cat ear headband, Animal Crossing button, Paper Mario Sticker Star sticker book or (later on) Wii Fit Plus lanyard (AKA leftover promotional items)
-- Choice of 1: Smash Enblem pin or SSB for WiiU/3DS logo pin (I ended up getting both thanks to a change of policy on that after I'd played)
-- Sheet of 2 stickers: SSB 3DS/WiiU logo and Smash emblem.

- Mega Man's Final Smash (Black Hole Bomb/All-forms Laser) drew the most hype from the crowd.
- Greninja's (Maximum Greninja) was also well-received.

UI:

- Limited to the same 20 characters as the Smash Invitational tournament.
- 8 stages: Battlefield, Skyloft, Coliseum, Mushroom Kingdom U, Pilotwings, Boxing Ring, Town and City, Wily Castle.
- Not all announced colors were playable (Wireframe Mac was missing, for example).
- CSS used DFHei_E and DFPMincho-UB for names (names over CSPs were all-caps, except for "Wii Fit TRAINER").
- SSS used DFPMincho-UB for stage names.
- Results screen also used DFHei_E to show winner's name.
- Background of small icons were actually transparent, allowing an orange fiery/starry background to show. A neat effect, but I wonder if this is E3 build-specific.

Gameplay:

- I picked Greninja (shiny coloration), and fought on Mushroom Kingdom U via Random.

Greninja gives a vibe similar to Sheik in attacks, but Falco with movement. Being a frog and a ninja, Greninja has very high jumps, and good air mobility. BAir looks to be his strongest aerial, but DAir will see quite a bit of use for canceling upward momentum. His roll is is a quick upright sidestep, reminiscent of Mewtwo's, but fast. He can punish slower moves on whiff if he sees them coming. I didn't use specials much, though, so I can't speak to Water Shuriken's effectiveness.

On the other hand, I made sure to make use of items when I could get to them, scoring a couple KOs off being giant and having a Beam Sword alone. A Smash Ball did appear, and I joined the fray to get it, but Mega Man claimed it. Using my mobility, I stood still to the left and baited the Black Hole Bomb with enough distance to evade it completely, making it go to waste.

In the end, I was far above the others, with 4 KOs and 2 Falls, for a score of +2.

During the wait, I was also able to play Smash Run on one of the four 3DS units tethered to one of the employees. Unlike other locations, personal 3DS units weren't given the opportunity to play the demo. I used Little Mac there, and at the start, thought i was doing good against 3 random CPU fighters, having opened several chests and quickly defeating multiple enemies and gathering icons at a good rate. I even was able to enter a challenge door and was greeted with the crystal breaking minigame as shown in trailer footage, which I cleared for multiple large pickups. I also grabbed as many bonus items as I could, though I think they slowed me down in the end.

Following the 5 minute dungeon section, I fought in a 1-minute Flower Battle (Special Brawl, Flowers on head), in which I was defeated, tying for 2nd. A 1-minute match isn't enough to really find a clear winner, especially with the various modes it offers (one observed mode was actually NSMBWii coin-collecting). Here's hoping that timer is lengthened.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The OP should be getting updated with info.

Anyway, I have a lot to say here. I got to play three games, first as DK on Skyloft, second as Zelda on Mushroom Kingdom U (I made a note that this is the official name of that stage), and third as Mega Man on Pilotwings.

DK seems pretty good to me. First of all, the main point is that weight seems much more important; DK (and Bowser when I saw others use him) was extremely, extremely hard to kill. With good DI and smart play, I was able to live to around 200% (and I only died once). I saw lighter characters die a lot at like 80% so this is a huge gap; granted my DI was a lot better than theirs, but it can't be that big of a difference.

Ftilt seems like the same old goodness as before as do bthrow, bair, and uair. Fair still is horrible. I didn't get to use cargos which made me sad. Uair and fsmash likewise are very similar, and Ground Pound actually seems better in general while dair clearly reaches that foot down further. I saw another DK use side special and it seemed to animate a bit faster than me though it still didn't seem like a viable move overall. The only real downside I saw to DK was that Giant Punch has a visibly longer wind-up time, but overall, he seems extremely strong (and I didn't even use dash attack).

Zelda is just plain horrible. I won the game, and I don't know how. The biggest issue is that usmash has reduced hitboxes compared to Brawl while her other decent moves (tilts, fsmash) seem about the same. Din's Fire is still too slow to have any use. The Phantom is somehow even slower and worse than Din's Fire. It takes forever to use no matter what, and if you don't charge it, it doesn't hit very far forward. It has no tracking so you have to charge carefully the right amount to hit specific points forward which with the general sloth of the move is an impossible task even in FFA where you won't always be the focus. In singles, this may be the new single worst move in the game. Her grabs are still extremely laggy just like in Brawl. Lightning kicks seem very similar to Brawl as well as do her other two specials. The only actual buff she seems to have is that dair stretches that foot down further. Yeah, she was already bottom tier in Brawl and got worse; she needs a ton of work if she's going to be a real character in this game.

Mega Man was very hard to play in a FFA setting, and he kinda defies your intuition. Leaf Shield is actually a very limited move. It has very long start-up, and while you can move freely the whole time, the hitboxes actually completely suck. I watched a Little Mac just walk up to a MM player and jab to beat out an in-place Leaf Shield; it was ridiculous. Actually using it, it's just overall so slow; it doesn't realy commit MM that much so it's not bad to just put up at a free moment, but it doesn't help you much. On the other hand, fsmash is surprisingly really great. It is faster than it looks; I was able to punish tons of stuff with it pretty easily, and it is pretty safe just to throw out as well so I think it's going to be a big BnB move for MM. Most hitboxes in smash 4 seem very faithful to their animations, but i did notice MM's usmash hits a bit further to the sides than the graphic indicates. Dsmash isn't actually that strong, but it controls a lot of space. Fair is another surprise move. Honestly it's incredible; the range is nearly as big as Marth's, and I think it's actually faster and has a nice hit back on it. Bair is surprisingly solid too, but it's not quite as amazing as fair. I didn't use dash attack much, but other MMs had a lot of luck with it. His grab range did seem pretty big, and his fthrow was decently strong. I think he has real potential. Metal Blade is not a kill move in sudden death but Top Spin is.

I saw a lot of stage stuff. Here's what I observed...

BF has much larger side areas before the blast zone and drops lower off-stage too. Otherwise, it's still BF.

Skyloft is a great stage, obviously legal in the early metagame. There are no hazards anywhere, and while most of the landings have some kind of good defensive position, I don't think any of them wil turn into pure stall-outs.

Mushroom Kingdom U has many more possibilities than it seems at first, but it is a very, very tame stage and also IMO obviously legal early on. The stage's tells for transforming are crazy long; Kamek is out for several seconds before she does her animation, and even after she does, the stage gradually shifts instead of just instantly moves. The fortress form has ground consisting of two large blocks that kinda rotate about each other slowly so it forces you to move a lot but is very easy to handle; otherwise the basic ground is always static with occasional and seemingly randomly present water pillar platforms and expanding/contracting donut block platforms. I did see the icicles fall once of all the games I saw there; it seems very rare, and they seemed pretty easy to react to.

Pilotwings is actually a very simple stage. you start on the red plane which has some shades of Venom but is much better. It's a biplane with the upper wings being drop-through platforms and the lower wings being solid (but I'm pretty sure you can come up from the bottom, like Halberd etc.). The middle section of the plane is completely solid and divides the bottom. After 46 seconds (the one time I timed it), the yellow plane which is a single large platform comes, and you ride that until 1:55 into the overall stage at which point you go back to the red one. IMO obviously legal here too.

I didn't see much of Town and City or the FE Coliseum.

Wily's Castle scared people with the Yellow Devil, but I think it's a good legal candidate too. It has a high ceiling as a note about it, but I'll otherwise just talk about YD. He sticks around for a long time, but he's really slow moving, predictable, and easy to evade. Being hit by him does pretty little damage, and it seems to me like he does completely fixed knockback since I saw multiple people get hit by him at over 100% and fly very short distances. He does take up a lot of space, but given that he's just about the weakest stage hazard ever, I can't see him actually being a big problem.

The Boxing Arena is absolutely awful. It's huge, has a really bad lower geography, the lights are awful on multiple levels... This level will be a near instant ban.

From here I just have a bunch of random notes; I took two full pages, and most of them are just quick observations of others.

Doc Louis is in all of Little Mac's win poses. It's really cool.

Pikachu's goggles are back as a costume. Pikachu's cloud for Thunder is quite low, very similar to Melee.

Bowser seems a lot better. The important ftilt, fortress, and dtilt are nearly the same, jab seems absolutely incredible (very quick, large range), and the new fsmash has just crazy range (like Ike fsmash range). Dair seems to recover from landing much faster than in previous games. The new dash attack is a considerable step up. This guy just might finally be viable.

Snorlax, Metagross, Lugia, and Bellossom are back as Pokeballs. I dunno how many of those we already knew. Giratina is in, and it's crazy powerful. It stands around for a while and then fires huge horizontal whirlwinds that drag victims off-screen while hitting very similarly to Mario's Brawl final smash.

The results screen has the stage, mode, and mode count. For instance, Time/2/Battlefield. It's a really nice touch for data recording and will help TOs.

Olimar's down special is still really fast. Olimar seems to run non-trivially faster than he did in Brawl. Olimar's new up special is an incredible recovery move, maybe one of the best. With only one pikmin, he goes incredibly high very fast. Otherwise he seems very similar which is good for him since he was amazing before; Olimar as he stands seems very likely top tier.

The rocket item based on Pikmin has absurdly huge hitboxes as it explodes. it covered like half of the ground of the main platform (don't remember which stage) when it went off.

Pit's upperdash arm animates nearly identically to Captain Falcon's Raptor Boost, but it seems to have very high priority.

Samus's roll is visibly faster than in previous games. Screw attack has no KO power at all; even hitting an opponent over 100% way above Battlefield (like well above the top platform) it still didn't kill.

Villager's recovery is slow but really huge; in teams, he could come back from anything with an ally protecting him.

Rosalina's down tilt is this kinda spin on the ground that is really slow and seems really bad. Her dodges (like airdodge) are teleports like Mewtwo's were. Her dash attack is slow and seems to have limited hitboxes; that does seem true for many of her moves actually though it stands out more with dash attack than most. I made a note that one of her moves is oddly fast, but my handwriting is so bad I can't tell which one I meant (Lft... ?). In general she seems very hard to play.

Greninja has the best uair ever. It is this upward drill kick, just like Fox's dair but opposite (note: I don't know how Fox's dair looks in the new game). Greninja's fthrow has a very low angle on it. In general Greninja seems very strong.

Link's down aerial is incredible; it still has that very good bounce that makes it impossible to punish, and even if you whiff, it recovers way faster. It hits stupid hard as well. I didn't get much of a feel for Link watching others beyond that, but man, that dair is the best version of that move ever by far.

In general hit physics seem completely different than previous games; I think victims ignore normal physics during their launches as they fly out oddly slowly in very straight lines (it seems like a pre-canned flight instead of something rendered dynamically like in Melee and Brawl). DI seems very strong and most general defenisve stuff persists otherwise, but I would expect fastfallers to die a little earlier than usual since I don't think fall speed affects KO resistance at all anymore and I would certainly expect nothing like Bucket Braking to be in the game.

The general feel of the game is very Brawl-esque but way faster; I'd have to play a lot more games and ideally some 1v1s without items to be able to give a good verdict here, but I think this is going to be like Brawl except with the worst things about Brawl fixed... which is what I really wanted all along. Take that as you will.

VelenZiga

Smash Rookie
- Mega Man is very spacing oriented.
- He has lots of projectile attacks, more than anyone in Smash currently.
- His jab, forward tilt, and F-Smash are all related to the Mega Buster. Jab is standing buster, Forward is running buster, F-Smash (as we all know) is the Mega Buster Charge.
- Metal Blade works as advertised, but requires timing to use the multi-directional feature of it effectively.
- Crash Bomber has quite a bit of reach, making it a nice long range attack.
- Leaf Shield can be deployed and used to approach and damage enemies, or be fired off. Meaning his has a very rich mix up game because of this.
- Hard Knuckle is hard to hit with, and requires precision timing to use to best effect (Go figure).
- Flame Blast seems like a very potent Smash attack with good power. Spark Shock seems to have a low vertical reach.
- Mega Upper is a bit slow, but workable.
- Top Spin is very good, and works like Kirby's Dash attack with a farther reach.
- Slide however seems almost next to useless unless used for approaching.
- Flame Sword and Slash Claw function essentially the same as predicted, except that Slash Claw does multiple hits whereas Flame Sword does not.
- Air Shooter has an extraordinary vertical reach, seems good for anti-airing opponents, on top of that, it carries opponents caught in it upward.

Now for Bowser:

- Bowser is very much quite a bit faster than before.
- His Dash Attack is VERY powerful. I would say potentially more powerful than his Forward Smash. Example being that in Smash Run, with a Bowser who has high attack power on High-Launch Smash, Bowser's Dash Attack (I've named it the Cannon Stomp) will 1HKO like nobody's business.
- In addition to a new Dash Attack, Bowser has a brand new Neutral Air where he does some kind of acrobatic move.
- The range for the grab on his Flying Slam seems to be less, making it harder to land.
- Giga Bowser is the same appearance as Brawl, but with less detailed textures.
- His Down Air has a new feature: Bowser will now rocket downward rather than simply float down.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Terrible. Had to wait like 3 hours and 20 minutes to play. Though I was able to play the 3DS version as I got on my way for the Wii U. All chances got to play as Mega Man.

Something weird, everyone keeps talking about Smash Run, at least the 3DS I got didn't had that and got straight to a 4 character fight. It is confusing which buttons work for attack and the one for jump. I did manage to do Mega's Final Smash and looks stunning on 3D. Oh, got to someone to play with Little Mac and the animation was amazing! Love how Doc Louis is part of Mac's celebration!

Once I got to the Wii U version, I have to say it was harder to perform a Mega Man slide in Wii U than at the 3DS version. Suprised I got into a Sudden Death, but sadly lost to Little Mac. It was hard to know the defense button. It seems it is one of the Right ones.

Sadly the coins will be placed when the game is picked up. Just reserved the 3DS one and wait for someone else to make a special on the Wii U one or buy it via amazon.

Last year's event was fun and neat, which motivated me to go to SmashFest as well, but this time it was terrible. Wait more than 3 hourse to play just one time. When last year I didn't spend much time and got to play more. Nintendo needs to consider this.

Surprised Sonic keeps his Final Smash.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
My experience was overall pretty horrible. I have never been to a more disorganized event in my life. There wasn't a line, people certainly were trying to form one, but you had to pick which part of the crowd to stand by and hope you would move forward to play. I left after 2 hours, it was a complete mess, I didn't even get to play. I would've stayed longer if I had progressed more than I had, but it never felt like I was getting close enough to play.

I'm hoping Saturday is much better, I'm planning on getting there much earlier as well.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Horribly terrible! I got there at 4pm and there was already a huge line formed outside. I waited 4 and a half hours and STILL got nowhere near the door! They only had one demo station set up.
A friend who had gotten there earlier and played the game told me he got to play TWO MATCHES! Apparently people started linking up at 3 AM last night!

Also according to an employee, they were only expecting like 20 people to show up. Well guess what, Best Buy of Chino, CA. Over 400 people were there.
They told us to leave at 8:30. No stickers or buttons or anything! But they let us watch the last two matches and I gotta say the game looks vibrant. Gah I wish I got to play....

I'll be getting there mad early on Saturday. But at least I made some friends there. That was cool meeting up with other Smash fans

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
We showed up an hour early to a line of about 20 people, only to find out that was the second line and the first line was inside and had about 50 people or more. It took 3 hours to get in to play, everyone was sweaty and thirsty and most people just sat down on the ground after a while. But it was all worth it. Most everyone was in a great mood, was really friendly, and the matches were really good. Our Best Buy only had one station and they positioned the TV away from the line. It did get annoying hearing the cheering but having no idea what was going on.

I got to play Smash Run 3 times. They said the reason that we couldn't do vs. was because of battery life. The DS' were secured specifically to the reps so I can't say I blame them. Either way, Smash Run was incredibly fun despite me finding the 3DS controls awkward at first. Using the circle pad in a smash way goes against the smooth movement I am used to. Our Nintendo Rep was pretty nice but very frazzled and I got the feeling that she really didn't know much about smash. People would make suggestions here and there and she seemed lost. A group of 4-6 smash elitists showed up at one point and were kinda negative but no one paid them much mind. They started talking the rep's ear off about dash-dancing and not realizing she had no real idea what they were talking about. One guy even said "I think dash-dancing is objectively good" which is frustratingly annoying to have to listen to (and before I get comments on this, I am referring to the use of "I think" and "objectively" in the same sentence.) Our Wii U crashed twice and had a couple controller hiccups but overall they were quick fixes.

Our coins can only be picked up at the store when we pick up our preorder.

I played my first round as Zamus and won. I love how she plays. I got second with Marth in my next round. He seems... a bit slower honestly.

To conclude, the fest was a blast. The fest was very orderly, everyone was patient, and Best Buy let us stay until the last guys in line were able to play. Only one group of obnoxious people showed up and everyone treated the thing like a party. Even after playing people just stuck around to watch. Later, after the lines closed the rejected players were allowed in to spectate as well. People cheered and supported one another and we had one really great group that went all DK just so we could all get a look at DK's final smash in this game. One time Mega Man used his final smash and one guy shouted, "Backstreet's Back!" and everyone joined in to finish it. The air was electrified and a good time was had by all. It was worth camping out in a Best Buy for 6 hours.

I think this fest proved that no matter what people are excited and happy to see a new smash and the only guys with anything negative to say about the game were the elitists who whined about the pro controllers and how they couldn't use the game to play Melee. Again, we kind of ignored them. And despite their insistences that Little Mac is "garbage tier", many players enjoyed awesome wins with Mac. So, yeah, whatever. I wish I could go back on Saturday but I have to work. I hope Nintendo does this again and remembers to put more stations in next time.

I did point out that the game could probably stand to have the blast zones reduced a bit. On some stages like Colosseum they are extremely far out.

Last edited:

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I showed up in the San Francisco location at 3:05 and was #83 in line. There was only one demo station, but they kept everything nice and orderly. A few people let friends cheat the line and cut, but once they started bringing people into the store (about 3:40), they were VERY strict about cutting (THANK YOU). I saw them shoo a couple of people away who tried to use the "But my friends saved me a spot" excuse.

No coins till launch day, but they said everyone who pre-ordered today will get one. I doubt they have any special infrastructure set up for such a last minute change though, so I kind of wonder if that'll actually pan out properly...

Took about 2.5 hours before I could play, but I wasn't in a rush. I got to demo the 3ds version as well. I couldn't get much good info on the gameplay though. Played Greninja on 3ds, but burned my time getting confused with the controls and awkward analog stick. Definitely not gonna bother with the 3ds version in general, it just feels too weird.

Played Mega Man and Marth on the WiiU, but again, wasn't able to get much knowledge with 2 2-minute matches and 4 player+items chaos. Marth seemed disappointing. Even when I landed a tipper fsmash at 80% I didn't get a kill. His side B is nice and speedy though, potentially very useful. Overall he feels like Brawl Marth but slightly slower, and a bit weaker. :(
Mega Man is a lot of fun and has tons of variety, but again... couldn't tell much from a single 2-min match.

Sorry! I wanted to be more helpful, but was struggling to get used to different controllers / control schemes in the midst of a new game and 4-player chaos. x.x

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Ah, I had a good time. I showed up with some friends around 3:40; there were about 50 people in line. There were probably about 100 or so more people that showed up (maybe less). We waited for about an hour and ten minutes before the 3DS version made it to us (This was big surprise; totally didn't know they would have it. It was pretty funny, there were two guys who each had 2 3DS's tethered to them). Then we watched a match and were next in line, we declined the next match so all four of us could play together. I picked Villager and then Little Mac in the Wii U and Greninja on 3DS Smash Run. Everything seemed to go smoothly. My biggest gripe was that Best Buy didn't put the matches up on the big screen so people in line could see.

My impressions:

- The game was very much a demo. Clearly not ready for release. It wasn't bad by any means, but hitstun and hit lag had issues. Combos were possible but difficult to pull off. We encountered a pretty hilarious glitch; one of my friends got the hammer early on in the match and the hammer music stayed on for the rest of the match, long after the hammer disappeared.

- Speed seemed quite a bit faster than Brawl (very noticeably so), not near Melee's speed though. I play Brawl a lot and this felt different. The faster pace was noticeable.

- The 3DS version felt more complete. Combos seemed doable and movement felt more natural.

- Little Mac's aerial game was not exaggerated. Really bad. His power on the ground wasn't really exaggerated either. I got KO'd twice right when I filled up the meter, sadly. But his charge Punch standard special was very useful in FFA and Jolt Haymaker totally goes through projectiles and ****. Great. His intro has him in his pink sweat suit and then throwing it off like he does in his trailer and his win is him mock-boxing with Doc Louis.

- Greninja is fantastic. Down Air auto bounces into the air off opponents and it sets up combos pretty well. His win animation is great; lots of ninja handsigns.

- Villager was weird and floaty, but a ton of fun. Pocket is great, picked up Lip's Stick and used it later. Lloid Rocket was a very powerful projectile. The Axe part of his Down Special is very powerful; I got a sweet KO on Megaman with it. Set-up for it is pretty quick, didn't manage to KO with tree, though.

- People still go nuts for Megaman's Final Smash.

- Greninja's Final Smash has a start-up attack that involves Mat Block. He pulls up a mat and then launches you into the sky for the moon attack thing. If you don't connect with Mat Block the attack fails.

- Smash run is pretty great. Enemies I encountered: Kremlings, Stalfos, Tac, giant Peahat/peahats, Octorocks and some common Kid Icarus enemies.

Link seems a ton faster. I did not play as him, nor did I play against him so keep that in mind. But I did watch him in a battle and seemed almost as fast as Project M Link. Link was victorious in said battle, by the way.

- 3DS control scheme felt very natural. It may have helped that it was an XL. In the time it took to play through Smash Run I was fairly competent with the new scheme. Pro Controller seemed less comfortable, but I had never even held one prior to today. It seemed fine to me other than unfamiliarity.

- The New Super Mario Bros. 2 Stage, Golden Plains, on the 3DS version is pretty fun. Played on it after Smash Run (it was chosen randomly) I managed to collect the 100 coins within the time limit and win as Golden Greninja. The Fire Emblem Colosseum stage was pretty good as well. It wasn't flat for very long and changed often enough to give us a few layouts within the 2 minute time limit.

- The new win screen is very nice. The screen cracks after the match, revealing the winning fighter in a large circular area to perform their win animations. This means some could be quite large. Other players appear in windows that are sized according to placement.

Last edited:

Ionia7

Smash Rookie
I got to play 4 rounds, waited in line twice.

First I played Pit. He seems stronger, knockback wise, than brawl. His multi hit attacks like uair and nair all chain together completely if you land a hit based off observation. Down b reflects from behind too.

Next I played Marth. Side b is slower like melee's was but timing is probably in between the two. Up b still good ko option of you hit with first frames. Boost smashing fsmash appeared to work. Grabs have stronger knockback even at low %.

3rd I played WFT in a match with 3 other WFT. She was decently floaty with fast attacks. Bair seemed strong along with down b charged neutral b, ko'd a guy from middle of the boxing ring at 85.

Lastly played Greninja. Extremely fast in the air with falco sized jumps. Doesn't fast fall like spacies, maybe akin to sheik. All air attacks are strong with good knockback and usmash is like sheik.

Techs: dash dance kind of works but it felt too fast and stationary to have any practical use.
*Pivot grab definitely works and the fox I saw use it covered a lot of ground while sliding.
*B reversals work.
*Hyphen usmash worked with marth and greninja tho not like brawl sheik distance.
*Wall teching might be possible with just the shield button. Not sure if I only hit r or r+a
*Wall jumps work.
*couldn't dacus. With any of the 4 I played.
*stutter step fsmash appeared to work, tippered a guy with marth from much further than I thought I could.
*Boost grabbing might be back or running grab lag is low on greninja

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not going to go completely into this right now, but the Best Buy in Sunrise Florida was a disaster.

Terrible organization and a horrible experience, I got in line at 4:08 and stood in line until 8:30. I was then told they wouldn't be taking any more people, so I waited about 4 and a half hours in line for nothing.

Last edited:

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I went to the Southridge demo in Wisconsin. I got there at 3:30 and didn't get to play the game until around 7:15/7:30. Some of my friends who got there around 4 didn't get a turn until 8:45 and then they only got 1 match since they were trying to give everyone a turn.

The set up itself was awful. There was one system, and due to all the shelves/banners, you could only see the screen if you were next in line or at one odd part in the middle of the line, so I didn't get to watch many matches.

My two matches were as Samus on Battlefield and Greninja on the Boxing Ring.

Samus seems to be pretty similar, but her charge shot and missiles seem to have a bit more knockback than their nerfed forms in Brawl. I got most of my kills with her with her F-Smash, though. I also saw an (I believe) new AT, Chain Chomp, during this match. It appears tethered to a post and attacks anyone near it.

I didn't do Greninja justice at all. It took me a while to get used to his moves, and by then, the match was almost over. With about 10/15 seconds left, I got the Smash Ball, caught someone in the trapdoor/mat thing, and then thanks to the long animation, the match ended while we were still suspended in mid-air due to the long animation. I saw the same thing happen to someone playing Mega Man in another match.

I also got to briefly try the Smash Run demo...but it crashed while I was playing it. I figured something was going wrong when every enemy I killed dropped only Attack power ups, but it just suddenly hung up after about 2 minutes and said an error has occurred and returned to the menu. I tried to tell the rep on the floor it had crashed but he was chatting up a woman nearby, and paid zero attention and just took the system from me. The controls on the 3DS were somewhat intuitive, but are definitely an adjustment.

Overall, it was fun to try the game, and it at least seemed to play a bit faster than Brawl other than some really laggy moves. While I didn't personally try Zelda, my friend who did said she was really bad, and that her new down B was pretty useless without charging and even then had terrible ending lag. Random tripping does seem to be truly gone though, which is a huge plus.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Initially went an hour and a half early.
Noticed huge line.
Did a head count, realized I wouldn't get a coin.
Debated on staying to play the game.
Saw cars passing by yelling stupid stuff at people in line/ harassing them.
Left.

Went back three hours later with the gf, lines not as bad, smaller crowd.
Signed up to play.
Since I was a "solo" guy (gf didn't wanna play) I got put into a match with some other guys pretty quickly.
Lost the first match as Pikachu, won the second as Bowser.
Controls seemed weird at first, took a little to learn them, still didn't have them down in the length of two matches.

Here's some of the free stuff I got. (Stickers & badges/ pins)

Last edited:

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Initially went an hour and a half early.
Noticed huge line.
Did a head count, realized I wouldn't get a coin.
Debated on staying to play the game.
Saw cars passing by yelling stupid stuff at people in line/ harassing them.
Left.

Went back three hours later with the gf, lines not as bad, smaller crowd.
Signed up to play.
Since I was a "solo" guy (gf didn't wanna play) I got put into a match with some other guys pretty quickly.
Lost the first match as Pikachu, won the second as Bowser.
Controls seemed weird at first, took a little to learn them, still didn't have them down in the length of two matches.

Here's some of the free stuff I got. (Stickers & badges/ pins)

That stuff looks pretty awesome! I wish I got my hands on those!

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Quick question for whoever has played, do the players make grunts after getting hit by a smash attack like in melee? That was always something that I enjoyed a lot

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Really long line, really long wait filled with really obnoxious people who couldn't help but yell stupid things half the time, but I got to play as Mac and Greninja.
Two terrific fighters. Game had a nice feel for how little I played it. Very demo, though. No complaints on my end, however.

I picked Mac first, knowing I have a terrible aerial fighting habit, just to see how he felt. Very very powerful on land. Do not try to fight in the air though. That... was really bad... Which is to be expected. I got 2nd. His KO smash is very satisfying.
Took a while to charge and hit.

Greninja is awesome. Fast. Awesome aerials.
Not much to say other than pretty neat.

Definitely going to main one of the two.

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Lots of standing in line. My reps were very pleasant. Got to play two games of Smash Run and three two minute matches on the Wii U version. Smash feels good on a handheld and manages to hold its presentation well. I felt more at home on it than I did with a Wii U Pro controller on the Wii U version. Smash for Wii U looks BEAUTIFUL in person. The game feels very fluid overall, not so much floaty but not really like heavy rocks either. High KB trails (the smoke when you go flying) makes hitstun very deceptive. The characters that got updated (I only got to play Yoshi as far as this goes) felt very fresh yet still familiar. Villager was lots of fun just as I hoped.

Smash Run will be fun. Smash on the 3DS feels great. Wii U Pro controller is a solid controller but would take some getting used to. The animations and added personality are wonderful and very present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom