• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post-tournament suggestions..

SSD

Smash Journeyman
REALLY sorry for making a new thread for this, I wasn't sure which one to put it in, seeing as this isn't from the most recent version.

Anyway, last saturday, I hosted a small tournament, and I'm just reporting back with feedback about the codeset from the players.

First off, this is all based on the 4.0 codeset. I used it because it was the 'official' release, so if some things have already been taken care of, forget about them. A lot of this will just be quotes.

lucien said:
with the overall engine I would have to say more smashdi, and meteor cancelling.
I think by meteor canceling he means make it more effective. Adding in additional hitlag to allow for more SDI was brought up several times, so I thinking adding in a bit to certain moves would be nice, give me more ability to survive stuff(SDI to ledge tech?) and get out of some combos, making the other guy have to predict what they will do in order to continue the combo.

huge quotes - I took out some parts that were repetitive, but mostly it's still there.
hostility said:
Falco: in short, I think falco is waaaaay too good, and for some reason in codesets after this one, they decided to give falco's uptilt a HUGE buff making it like 3 times faster. Falco's uptilt in 4.0 is slower and a little laggier but you can still combo off it really well, it did not need to get sped up. The lasers have too much stun especially on shields, so most big characters can hardly move, or are forced to jump in, risking getting hit by a falco uptilt and getting a ton of percent done to them as a result, the hitstun and shield stun of the lasers should be lessened. Falco's forward B needs a little nerf as well. Right now it is an amazing recovery move, it's way too good at getting yourself out of disadvantaged stage positions (your back to the ledge), it goes through almost every move in the game, and you can even combo off it if you space it right. I suggest removing the hitbox off the forward B altogether, or turn it into what it was like in melee with the hitbox relatively far behind falco's character model which allowed you to actually punish it it melee.
yeah. Maybe some exaggerations here, I dunno.

Metaknight: What I would change about metaknight is to reduce the amount of damage and knockback his smashes and shuttle loop do. It's kinda rediculous to me that MK can kill at almost any percent offstage, and if he doesn't gimp you, can kill you at pretty low percents onstage as well with Dsmash and shuttle loop.
I'm fairly sure that this stuff has been done with newer releases.

Snake: The only thing I would really change about snake is to make it easier to combo into his Ftilt, half the time the two hits won't go into each other.
Not sure what he means with that last part, but whatever.

Wolf: The only thing I would change about wolf is to reduce some of the damage on his upair/fair which both combo into each other extremely well, especially if you are on a platform stage, and both of which do a ton of damage.
I think his tilts should be sped up a little more, because right now his tilts are basically smash attacks, and his smash attacks are super smash attacks. His recovery also blows really hard, I would give him the ability to up B after his forward B like pikachu can.
I think he might be exaggerating about the power of the attacks, but I've always wondered why Pika/luigi can upb after side B but Ike can't. Newer version says that Ike doesn't go helpless after sideB on hit, but that's not really the same.

Overall General changes I would make would be to standardize the buffering system. The fact that the amount of frames you have to buffer is dependent on handicap is kinda dumb. I would also like to see airdodges have some more landing lag, sidesteps to have less invincibility, and rolls to be slower. Right now they have the same problem as brawl in that these things are harder than they should be to punish. Finally, overall focus more on character balance in future patches, right now it seems like every person wants to buff their character, and some characters just shouldn't be ****ed with, I would focus overall on buffing bad characters and generally not nerfing very many things about the good characters.
yeah...

Although what I forgot to put into my blog that I really wanted to was the almost complete lack of smash DI. Brawl+ needs more of it because right now, SDI barely does anything.
There it is again.

those were the only written replies I got when I asked for feedback.

My own major concern is the hitlag. I know that vbrawl had far to much, but it seems like brawl+ doesn't have any at all. I know that having too much takes away the usefulness of multi-hit moves, so I don't think those moves need it, but regular moves could do with some sort of hitlag to allow for more SDI to help survive and get out of combos and stuff.

Top Bottom