• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibly New Risky Recovery Option?

Morgue

Smash Cadet
Hello Fellow Samus players! I have been using this different recovery option for a little bit now, and wonder if anyone knows about it; and if they do, what they think the most optimal characters to use it against, or when. Or is it's just too risky to use in high-level play...

So we all know about using the grapple beam, sweetspotting the ledge. And we all know that if you initiate the grapple too close to the stage (Like on FD or Yoshi's)...you will just fall to your death.

However, if you are at the sweetspot height of the ledge and you grapple beam (touching the stage), you will just grab the edge (Essentially sweetspotting the ledge at pointblank range). I know this is incredibly risky, because if you fail, you die; but you can also use the invincibility frames of the airdodge, to dodge incoming edgeguards and instantly get invincibility from grabbing the ledge via pointblank grapple sweetspot.

I'm not too sure on the frame data, if you are invincible during the transition of airdodge and sweetspot grapple. It's a weird thing to lable, so I am just going to call it PBSS (Pointblank Sweetspot).

Any thoughts guys?

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
You are invincible until you initiate the grapple.
I use this occasionally against edgeuards with short lasting hitboxes, such as Peach's turnips or Marth's Dtilt and Fsmash

Smash Journeyman
I do this, but only when i mess up with an airdodge too close to the stage LOL

using airdodge to dodge things here is an interesting idea though

Morgue

Smash Cadet
Well yeah, but how many frames between the invincibility from the dodge and grabbing the ledge is there? I admit, I have done what 343 does too when recovering from a mistake, but intentionally, you can airdodge toward the stage, grapple and snap to the edge.

I don't have the ability to look at frame data on my system.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I do this whenever I screw up a ledgedash, I never thought about using it on purpose before
Pretty much lol. It's a nice saving grace samus has. Sometimes people see the ****ed up wavedash and run to centerstage because they assume you are dead. Free recovery off edge lol.

Top Bottom