• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibly New Marth Tech

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I was playing around with the new dash dancing (->, -> <-) and I found something interesting. I was able to distort marth's grab box with a pivot grab out of a dash dance and made it extend to about twice the normal length (I grabbed shulk who was quite a distance away from marth's body it looked like a force pull). I was able to duplicate this twice but the timing is very difficult. If this isn't new tech I apologize for spamming. However if this is a new discovery what do you think may be causing it?

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I do know that pivot grabbing does have an extended hitbox than normal, so that's probably what you're experiencing. Granted, dash dancing does have a chance if you slightly messed up the input to just turn around instead of pivot turning. If you did the dash dancing right, Marth would have entered a dash grab animation I believe, though some video or actual display of this may help for analysis. I'm just fishing guesses here xD

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I'll try to have a video up as soon as possible, this technique seems like a really good way to mix up approaches and punish enemies who stay in shield too much

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I knew Marth was a Jedi! I feel like this might also work with a few other characters. Weren't you also the guy who discovered "Sticky Dashing"? When is the video for that coming? I want to see a video for both techs to see what it looks like.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
Some one posted a video of what the general movement was so I felt like it was covered.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
After further lab time I know what cause the extreme distortion, I notice that after I did the turn around pivot grab after a dash dance that Marth would sometimes slide a fair distance backwards. It is in this backwards slide that Marth's grab box will sometimes stay were it was before he was moving backwards and the game reads it as Marth grabbing his opponent, since Marth is now farther away from his opponent the game auto corrects it and the opponent is pulled into Marth's hands giving the illusion of a force pull. This tech may also work for Lucina, and Captain Falcon as their dash dances are quite similar to Marth's

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
The lab is just an FGC/Smash term for when you are practicing tech, just a funny little euphemism really

Top Bottom