• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Possible way to cheat the "don't lose a life on 9.0" challenge?

Only3Penguins

Smash Rookie
I was on Neogaf and saw a post claiming that a "strategy guide" for the game claimed that this challenge could be cheated via a loophole wherein if you are using the Risky Respawn badge (which takes away invincibility upon respawning) then you can lose a "stock" and still win this challenge as the game does not perceive you as having lost a "life." He also said he hadn't tested this himself yet.

I don't have an account there so I couldn't ask the guy what the hell he is talking about. What guide? All I know of is Prima's, which I don't have, but it seems to me like this would have spread as common knowledge by now if it was in Prima's guide. I also don't have any Risky Respawn equipment in either version of the game, so I can't test this myself at the moment either. Is anyone able to debunk or confirm this? Because it would be amazing if it worked but it sounds WAY too good to be true.

(This is a copy of a post I made to the SSB subreddit. My post there includes a link to the Neogaf post I am referring to as I don't have link posting privileges here yet.)

Last edited:

Only3Penguins

Smash Rookie
Haha, I was waiting for SOMEONE to reply. No one's replied on Reddit or here (until now). This is potentially BIG, people! One of the hardest challenges could potentially be made MUCH easier!

My brother and I beat 9.0 on co-op today, the first 9.0 win for either of us. We thought as long as one of us didn't lose a stock, maybe we'd get credit for the challenge. In the end, I lost a stock, but he never did... and the challenge didn't pop. But it still went pretty well overall, and here's the key thing: apparently, you can never face Master Fortress in co-op; you just fight Master Dude, Master Dog, Master Stabby, and Master Clone and it's over. If this Risky Respawn thing works, it seems co-op with two Ganondorfs wearing Risky Respawn equipment would make this super easy. No penalty for losing a stock, no Master Fortress. (The challenge board DOES NOT specifically say it needs to be Solo Classic, or that you need to beat Master Fortress).

Not that I'm expecting this to actually work; like I said, it sounds unrealistic. Still, it's worth testing out. Just seems like a really odd thing for that guy on Neogaf to just invent off the top of his head. Maybe the pre-release version of the game that was used to make whatever guide he has had this loophole in it and the current patched version doesn't? If I had Risky Respawn equipment I would've already put this matter to bed myself. Who knows, maybe it's the post-respawn invincibility status that causes the game to count a life as lost, rather than the reduction in stocks, and that's why the loophole works (IF it works).

EDIT: I have also been made aware that the Prima guide does NOT have this claim in it. And Amazon.com does not show any other guides as even existing. This rumor seems DOA to me.

Last edited:

Only3Penguins

Smash Rookie
Sadly, yes, that is what I'm saying. Given the wording of the challenge, had we both not lost any stocks, presumably we would've gotten credit for doing the challenge without having to do Master Fortress.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have Risky Respawn equipment on 3DS, so I could possibly test this out when I get home. But I doubt it's true. It would be a really weird over sight.

Only3Penguins

Smash Rookie
False alarm, there is no cheat. I stopped by my local Barnes & Noble and looked through the Prima guide and I saw what the guy on Neogaf read. He just misinterpreted what the guide was saying.

Top Bottom