• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible (Not Guarunteed) Chain Grab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I've been testing aroud with my friend a little bit and I noticed something interesting with Roy's grab and D-Throw. If you DI the throw wrong, don't DI at all, or tech without rolling, you can keep on grabbing them. I'll have a video soon if you guys want to see it. I also have only tested it on Bowser Jr. so far. It's most definately not guarunteed, so it may or may not be useful. Thought it would be worth mentioning, though.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
So d-throw is SURELY able to setup for regrabs?
If you really want to follow the opponent, yes I guess it can be. You need to mix up your options and read a little bit, though.
EDIT: Formatting derps.

Last edited:

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
I've done some testing and if the opponent doesn't tech, at mid range percentages you can set up a mini chain grab by using Fthrow and hitting the opponent with the first hit of your Nair when they hit the ground.

Not sure if this is an actual chain grab but it might be useful if it works.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I've done some testing and if the opponent doesn't tech, at mid range percentages you can set up a mini chain grab by using Fthrow and hitting the opponent with the first hit of your Nair when they hit the ground.

Not sure if this is an actual chain grab but it might be useful if it works.
While this is true it requires the opponent to be an specific weight and % combination and for them not to tech. At low %s it works on most fast fallers or floaties who don't try to jump, but again they need to not tech also. The biggest problem with this is that floaties (and fast fallers once they reach a certain %) can just jump away and you're going to be too far away to chase accordingly (unless they are very slow in the air).

Edit: Also someone already posted this but, if you F-Throw and they don't tech it is much better to do a B-Air since it will jab lock your opponent. You can then do 2 weak attacks (Jab makes them stand up, don't use it. I think you might get away with 2 first hit N-Airs, but maybe you can only do 1 due to landing lag) into a regrab or a smash or anything you want.

D-Throw IMO is much better for "chain" grabs. Jab and U-Tilt set the opponent up perfectly for a regrab and on a good number of chars it's guaranteed at 0-10%. For those chars that it isn't guaranteed I like to U-Tilt 2ce, if they dodge the second U-Tilt then I regrab, if they don't then I SH and wait for an AD. If they AD it's a regrab, if they don't then it's an U-Air (so close to the ground that they can't dodge it anymore).

Basically grabbing someone at 0-10% almost always leads into me getting a 30-50% string or the opponent utilizing his double jump which also puts me in a very favorable position.

Last edited:

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
While this is true it requires the opponent to be an specific weight and % combination and for them not to tech. At low %s it works on most fast fallers or floaties who don't try to jump, but again they need to not tech also. The biggest problem with this is that floaties (and fast fallers once they reach a certain %) can just jump away and you're going to be too far away to chase accordingly (unless they are very slow in the air).

Edit: Also someone already posted this but, if you F-Throw and they don't tech it is much better to do a B-Air since it will jab lock your opponent. You can then do 2 weak attacks (Jab makes them stand up, don't use it. I think you might get away with 2 first hit N-Airs, but maybe you can only do 1 due to landing lag) into a regrab or a smash or anything you want.

D-Throw IMO is much better for "chain" grabs. Jab and U-Tilt set the opponent up perfectly for a regrab and on a good number of chars it's guaranteed at 0-10%. For those chars that it isn't guaranteed I like to U-Tilt 2ce, if they dodge the second U-Tilt then I regrab, if they don't then I SH and wait for an AD. If they AD it's a regrab, if they don't then it's an U-Air (so close to the ground that they can't dodge it anymore).

Basically grabbing someone at 0-10% almost always leads into me getting a 30-50% string or the opponent utilizing his double jump which also puts me in a very favorable position.
Ah, thanks. Just wondering, for Jab Lock is it only Bair? Or does Fair jab lock to?
I'm going to assume it's the weak spot, also. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Ah, thanks. Just wondering, for Jab Lock is it only Bair? Or does Fair jab lock to?
I'm going to assume it's the weak spot, also. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, it is the weakspot.

I don't know about F-Air as I wasn't the one who posted the video or did the research but I am assuming that it doesn't work otherwise he would have said it did, since after all F-Air is much easier to land. Still, since it's not my own research I cannot assure you that it doesn't work.

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Yes, it is the weakspot.

I don't know about F-Air as I wasn't the one who posted the video or did the research but I am assuming that it doesn't work otherwise he would have said it did, since after all F-Air is much easier to land. Still, since it's not my own research I cannot assure you that it doesn't work.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom