• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible New LInk Tech

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Whats with the weird url? I apologize if I'm wrong, it just looks odd to me.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
I found it through your channel. I can definitely see why those things would be useful, but I'm not sure if it's new or not, I'm not a Link player. You could edit down the length of that video significantly though, you spend a lot of time centering your screen and trying to figure things out yourself, which could make people lose interest. SAUS is fairly active on the forums though, I'm sure he'd know how common it is/ why it happens.

Pjams

Smash Rookie
NNID
majesticgengar
3DS FC
0404-6323-8834
Ok I'll edit the video tomorrow. I asked saus and internet explorer and saus hasn't seen the message yet and IE hasn't replied and probably won't Sutekh Sutekh

Last edited:

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Good man. I know you were trying to figure it out in this video, but if you were able to slow down the clip after showing the technique in full speed and explain your inputs/ what's required to recreate it, it would give people a better understanding of what's going on too.

Pjams

Smash Rookie
NNID
majesticgengar
3DS FC
0404-6323-8834
Sutekh Sutekh I'm going to make a video with just the two techniques and then i'll make another video about the uses and how to do it later on. would that be smart?

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Not remotely new. Sorry!

You do it by doing up b close to the ledge while maintaining your momentum. Young Link can do it too. It's kind of useful, not very hard

Last edited:

Pjams

Smash Rookie
NNID
majesticgengar
3DS FC
0404-6323-8834
Not remotely new. Sorry!

You do it by doing up b close to the ledge while maintaining your momentum. Young Link can do it too. It's kind of useful, not very hard
Usually what happens when you up b to grab the ledge you get the aeriel hitboxes, while in the first video i got the hitboxes of the strong standing up b while still grabbing ledge.

what i think happened was I clipped through ganondorf and while doing my up b the game was trying to push me out of ganon and that resulted in getting the strong hit of up b and the game pushing me to ledge.

in the second video I dont even grab the ledge at all I just cancel the up b and and float back to the stage.

I know about the ledge canceled up b to grab the ledge before but i have never seen these before. CAUP CAUP Meez Meez

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Wow, okay. No, I don't know if this is new or not. It very well could be. I'm not really sure why a different hitbox would come out. I think this would be better to post on the link boards if you haven't already.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
I think this should probably be in the Link boards. But this does look cool even as just another way to edge-hog.

That is the unfortunate thing about melee is that unless you speak with a long time main you might not see these things used by a player.

Anyway, this has been around for a long time and who knows how longer still when I first saw it in like 2011-2?

Pjams

Smash Rookie
NNID
majesticgengar
3DS FC
0404-6323-8834
That is the unfortunate thing about melee is that unless you speak with a long time main you might not see these things used by a player.

Anyway, this has been around for a long time and who knows how longer still when I first saw it in like 2011-2?
please read what I had replied to CAUP. this is not just a ledge canceled up b. it is much much more

SAUS

Smash Ace
I knew this existed, but don't remember where I learned about it.

It is basically a faster up-b with just the strong hit. The problem is that the normal long up-b actually provides option coverage. You lose that if you use this version of the up-b. You basically also have to be more precise (in timing and also the execution is quite a bit harder than just normal up-b). The weak hit on the up-b also semi-spikes and could be the hit that you want / need for a kill. If you miss, you could maybe avoid a stronger punish, but it's still bad. Most likely, your opponent will get the edge (you get punished) or at least avoid being edge guarded (dropping edge guards is bad on its own).

The only time I see it as potentially powerful tech is in doubles where you don't want to waste the time with the rest of the up-b. Even then, it is still minimally useful for how hard it is to do consistently.

Top Bottom