• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible new AT?

T-block

B2B TST
I was watching old replays the other day and I saw something that might be useful. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKU5x6FJtdI at 0:39... Squirtle hydroplanes to the right and grabs the edge immediately after. The thing is, I can't figure out how to repeat it, but I know I've done it more than once. My theory right now is that Squirtle's forward momentum has to end right at or before the edge, similar to Ganondorf's wiz kick cancel, but I still can't get it to happen intentionally. I think if we could make it happen on command it could make for some flashy edgehogs, and of course less punishable hydroplanes.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i'm pretty sure that the reason this happens is because the opponent shields the usmash. i'm not sure if you have to hold towards the stage to get it to happen but i'm 95% sure that the opponent has to shield the usmash. attacking a shield with pretty much any attack with enough force will push you back and offstage if you are near the edge.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
yeah, thats definitely just the shield adding to squirtle's momentum so that he falls off the stage and grabs the edge
Close fabulous close........I found this out a while ago and its the results of a power-Shielded forward hydroplane. If your on a stage like yoshi's with the weird slant edges a normal shield will give you enough momentum to grab the edge but this always happens to me due to powershields. Hell I was playing Snakeee(the best ZSS in NY) in a tourny match on frigate orpheon and when this happened even he was like WTF because he was trying to shield grab me. So in short shielding/powershielding is the cause of this as long as the up-smash makes contact with the shield.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
... why is the Sonic song playing in BField? Did someone actually hack Brawl to listen to that crap?

T-block

B2B TST
For some reason I thought powershield would give less momentum than normal shield...guess it's not all that useful then

Tien I like that song =(

CoonTail

Smash Lord
T-block it is useful because it makes the idea of power shielding a forward hydroplane a better and safer option for squirtle... If I get to fly in and upsmash with no punishment to worry about AND I get the edge I'll take it cause I love the edge. So if people wanna powershield or shield this let em ADVANTAGE PT

T-block

B2B TST
Well it's a good thing to know and all that, but as far as exploiting it to make Squirtle even crazier it's pretty useless. It only works on certain stages, and only if they powershield =\ When I first say the replay I was excited because I thought there might be a way to duplicate it without a shielding opponent above you...that would have some really nice applications.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
ok fair enough but this applies to any stage with an edge as far as getting this to happen. Secondly I'm almost 100% this can happen even if the opponent shields regularly. So this may not be an exploitable AT but if you notice your opponents game plan is to shield this then push him close to the edge with this......he shields you get edge automatically and you can ledge hop a d air and where the crap out his shield or get a free hit. That is deffinitly exploitable but I get your dissappointment.....hopefully this can make up for it :p

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Ok how about we call this ice cooning since it makes a bit more sense with the ice and sliding over the edge and we can call my razorleaf tactic ****-Tailing cause I Like that all more plus CoonTail is my real tag LOL .......maybe the PTBR should discuss this LOL

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
How about we just give this a name that actually makes sense like Hydroplane Hog or Hydroplane Cancel what would become HH or HC instead of trying to call it to ourselves? :)

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
This could be a really flashy edgeguard in doubles. Your partner power shields while you hug the edge or do a gimp off stage.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol

i've been doing this forever

hydroplaned usmash when your opponent is on the edge is really really safe because you just slip off

i thought this was common knowledge

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Same here typh I was surprised once I read this thread.....it does honestly catch alot of east coast players off guard

Top Bottom