• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Grab Release Kill Confirm?

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
So everyone knows Marth's Jab became much better after the recent patch. I've been using Grab release→Dtilt for a while now, but because of the patch I've been able to do something much better. After they get released almost every character(not sure which ones aren't able to get hit by Jab) will be able that get caught in Jab. I've been able to use this at high percentages to link into a Fsmash.

Not sure if people know about this or not but I wanted to post about it regardless. Sorry if I wasted your time. :p

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Grab release to jab isn't a real thing.

Both characters can move on the same frame. Shield is F1, jab is F5. D-tilt is F7.

It's got some limited use, but it's always escapable. Don't rely on it.

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Grab release to jab isn't a real thing.

Both characters can move on the same frame. Shield is F1, jab is F5. D-tilt is F7.

It's got some limited use, but it's always escapable. Don't rely on it.
Ah ok. I guess it does have some use against people that don't react very fast.

Pugwest

Smash Apprentice
I've been doing this since the game came out. it works on ppl who don't expect you to jab right away

Pugwest

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. But now that his Jab is much better it's more reliable if they don't expect it.
I used to master Jab and F-tilt before the patch so even after the patch everything is still kinda the same. Good players will instantly Di out of ur Jab 1 so the 2nd hit doesn't connect.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
I used to master Jab and F-tilt before the patch so even after the patch everything is still kinda the same. Good players will instantly Di out of ur Jab 1 so the 2nd hit doesn't connect.
Jab 1 is a very different move post 1.0.8.

RPGparagon

Smash Rookie
NNID
RPGparagon
3DS FC
5386-8052-5191
I guess this does depend on who your opponent is mostly. I have been doing f tilt immediately after they get released from my grab since the beginning. But now with marths new jab I suppose you can link it into an f smash for people that don't shield your jab. Good to know.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Yeah what everyone has pointed out already.

You can do it for days on For Glory with lag im sure, but offline against higher level players Grab-release shouldn't work. But i can see people get tripped up by a jab at times, so maybe i will try it once next time.

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Yeah what everyone has pointed out already.

You can do it for days on For Glory with lag im sure, but offline against higher level players Grab-release shouldn't work. But i can see people get tripped up by a jab at times, so maybe i will try it once next time.
True. But I guess if you see them constantly shielding after a grab release you can throw out a shield breaker to make them more scared of doing it again.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
True. But I guess if you see them constantly shielding after a grab release you can throw out a shield breaker to make them more scared of doing it again.
And SB is even slower. 19 frames. Even easier to get away from.

Ground releases aren't something that Marth can get anything from against someone who's paying attention.

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
And SB is even slower. 19 frames. Even easier to get away from.

Ground releases aren't something that Marth can get anything from against someone who's paying attention.
Guess I'm too used to playing online where there's that small amount of lag lol.

But yeah. These are helpful against mainly people who aren't prepared. I don't expect it to work on experienced tournament players or experienced players in general.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
According to marth grab release frame data, both of you will be able to react simultaneously after the release is over.

This puts marth in an excellent situation, and I'm surprised more people haven't noticed.

Basically, marth's grab release is amazing.

Marth's jab is his fastest move, coming out at frame 5. Compared to people with slow jabs... like... LINK, you will beat him to the punch every time.

The only way a good link can avoid this is shielding or rolling, which still puts you at an advantage. If link shields, roll behind him. If he rolls, chase him down.

However, if you are up against shiek or luigi, their jab beats marth's in speed, so... Shield after the grab release, wait, and punish.

If you read your opponent well, you win. You freaking win.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
According to marth grab release frame data, both of you will be able to react simultaneously after the release is over.

This puts marth in an excellent situation, and I'm surprised more people haven't noticed.

Basically, marth's grab release is amazing.

Marth's jab is his fastest move, coming out at frame 5. Compared to people with slow jabs... like... LINK, you will beat him to the punch every time.

The only way a good link can avoid this is shielding or rolling, which still puts you at an advantage. If link shields, roll behind him. If he rolls, chase him down.

However, if you are up against shiek or luigi, their jab beats marth's in speed, so... Shield after the grab release, wait, and punish.

If you read your opponent well, you win. You freaking win.
Or you could just throw them for better stage control instead of relying on guesses.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I used this a lot pre-patch because of the lack of kill setups Marth had. I just did grab release ftilt. A lot of people try to jump and do an aerial attack, but ftilt will catch them (often tippered) and they dead, at like 100% o3o

Last edited:
Top Bottom