• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Control Bug with GameCube Controller

Molma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3652-0643-3937
Hello. For the past few months I have been 'acquiring' Smash Bros for the Virtual Console on my Wii, but every single version has different buttons than Melee/Brawl. The layout is as follows.

A: attack (same)
B: special (same)
X/Y: jump (same)
L: shield (same)
R: grab (this should be shield)
Z: taunt (WHY!? I L-CANCEL WITH Z!!)
D-Pad: nothing (whaat?)
C-stick: jump (no)

My main frustration is the Z button, as commented. This is a huge turn off for me and makes me wanna dig in my basement for my N64, but hauling that AND my wii to places to play smash is not worth at all... (Off topic: if only Long island had a smash64 scene...)

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
If:
  • L shoulder trigger on GC controller is shield = same as Z button is shield on N64 controller = uses your left finger = no problems here
and:
  • R shoulder trigger on GC controller is grab = same as R shoulder is grab on N64 controller = uses your right finger = no problem here
and:
  • X and Y on GC controller is jump = same as C buttons on N64 controller = close proximity to A and B and uses thumb = no problem here

then:
  • you should be able to comfortably play the game the same as 90% of others with no complaints

Just based off the info you gave, never owned a gamecube. Good luck! :sheep:

Annex

Smash Ace
If you're gonna be a big sassmonster at least be right. They said R should be shield and Z should be grab which is correct for GC. C stick also isn't jump and dpad up taunts.

B R U H .

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
If you're gonna be a big sassmonster at least be right. They said R should be shield and Z should be grab which is correct for GC. C stick also isn't jump and dpad up taunts.

B R U H .
No one said the two different games need identical inputs. But I'd say the button layouts are similar enough to not be a problem imo.
Also I'm naturally sassy, my b

Molma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3652-0643-3937
OOPS! I forgot to mention that I L-Cancel with Z, which is the reason for all of my problems. I never touch the R button. (its pretty much not even existent in my control bank, same as X, but idc). Everything else is fine except that L canceling with L is not in my tech list at all, so without Z my performance is cut by well over 60%, and completely changing how I play smash bros in a whole for a VC game is not worth at all. AND I am wondering why this is happening in the first place? My only other possible test is to ue my friend's wii (that has a legit copy of ssb AND uses the controls properly), but that wont happen for another couple weeks)

tehz

Smash Apprentice
You're using a ****ty inject WAD from like 2009 before the US version of SSB64 was released on the VC. If you find the official WAD, the controls will mostly match Melee/Brawl/whatever (like your friend's copy). You still won't be able "to use" the c-stick, but that's because there's no easy mode in 64.

Last edited:

Molma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3652-0643-3937
Really? Wow, that explains it. So I actually have too old of a WAD which explains the controls. I guess I gotta search a bit harder. Thanks for that info.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
You're using a ****ty inject WAD from like 2009 before the US version of SSB64 was released on the VC. If you find the official WAD, the controls will mostly match Melee/Brawl/whatever (like your friend's copy). You still won't be able "to use" the c-stick, but that's because there's no easy mode in 64.
This!

By the way, the official Virtual Console version of SSB64 is still available on the Wii Shop Channel and it's only 10 bucks. You can quickly unlock all the characters and the item switch option by downloading the complete North American save file from GameFaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/198854-super-smash-bros/saves

* The 93kb Wii .bin save file is completely safe and legal. Just download it to an SD card and then transfer it to the Wii. If you have any issues this video will walk you through the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFGJbHYbm4

Top Bottom