• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Chaingrab and new combo? Need Someone to test please.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Let me begin by saying that i have no competent smash players (Brawl or Melee) in my immediate vicinity. That being said, until my friends back home get Brawl or we can all get together to play it- I'll have very little human competition save for the laggy online. So therefore, take these with a grain of salt, and hence why I am asking anyone to test these out if they'd like. Its a simple request, so plz no "ZOMG UR suh STOOPID, COMPOOTERS ARE TEH SUCK". I know they are "Teh Suck"... hence my request.

I was messing around in training mode and I might have found a possible chaingrab (maybe 2-3 times tops @ low percents) and a brief lil combo that racks up around 40% damage.

Possible Chain Grab?:
Buttons: Grab-->Backthrow-->Dash behind opponent and turn grab (forgot the proper name, but its jerking the control stick the opposite way and hitting z)
Description/Rationale: The B-throw puts a little bit of air underneath the opponent, and also ?may? send them into a tumbling animation. This gives you enough time to dash past them before they can execute an aerial (F- or N- usually since they will be predicting a forward coming attack), sneaking under it. Also, if they airdodge, the invincibility frames wear off just as you turn to grab. If they DI to where you *were* simply cancel the dash w/ the turn grab sooner. If they DI away, do it later. Grab to B-throw again... rinse, and repeat a few times.

Possible Combo?:
Buttons: Dash-->Dash attack-->U-Smash-->Immediate SH D-Air-->?Possible F- or D- smash
Description/Rationale: Time the dash attack so that it sends the opponent straight up. Follow up immediately with an U-smash. Immediately SH and then D-air. If they DI away, alter your SH trajectory to be directly over them. You should hit them w/ the D-air while they are still airborne. The D-air should send them to the ground and 'freeze' them (think Zelda's D-tilt in Melee) which enables you to Smash them. If they airdodge, you'll most likely hit the ground before them and can follow up with something else.If they manage to tech the D-air straight up, or techroll to left/right you can punish w/ the F-smash in either direction.

Again, both of these work extremely well on computers, but I have no idea about humans, hence why I'd like someone to test them. Also, they both seem to work best at low %'s; no higher then the 40ish mark.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
okay 1 minute later, the b-throw seems good, you CAN air dodge / aerial but its really hard to hit wolf, and if you air dodge the grab will still get you, but 2 grabs at most, also TL (who i tested vs because of his floatiness would make it difficult) can double jump, then punish you for the missed grab, still really nice however, as yousaid it's really easy to avoid their aerial strangely

the combo kinda works? TL air dodge after the low % DashA then punish your U smash, the dair after the U smash is like a 30% chance really, and if they air dodged it they will have less landing lag than you assuming you sh'd

Valken

Smash Apprentice
He's right. For the most part in Brawl you can't combo. Few can, but only 2 maybe 3 hits at most.
Brawl was made so that you can dodge or block out almost any combo.
This was to make the game more about beating your opponent mentally and skillfully, and not just skillfully.

Try out your combo and if they get out of it, plan your next combo around that.

Example:

You dash attack they mid air dodge your u/smash.
So, next time you charge your u/smash.
If they tend to block your combos, throw in grabs.
If they attack, then throw in mid dodges in between each attack.

No your opponent, not just your character.

Combo's are awesome, but nothing if you don't know your opponent and how to time them.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
He's right. For the most part in Brawl you can't combo. Few can, but only 2 maybe 3 hits at most.
Brawl was made so that you can dodge or block out almost any combo.
This was to make the game more about beating your opponent mentally and skillfully, and not just skillfully.

Try out your combo and if they get out of it, plan your next combo around that.

Example:

You dash attack they mid air dodge your u/smash.
So, next time you charge your u/smash.
If they tend to block your combos, throw in grabs.
If they attack, then throw in mid dodges in between each attack.

No your opponent, not just your character.

Combo's are awesome, but nothing if you don't know your opponent and how to time them.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
okay with more tries, this grab cannot chain, every character can avoid it if theyre ready for it

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Ah, alright- thanks a lot! Not really much else to say about it since I can't test it myself to find different things to do with it on people as of yet, so I'll assume you both are correct. Thanks again. ^^"

Top Bottom