• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Brawl and Project M Wi-Fi Play Solution Created

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
On Tuesday, May 20th, the Nintendo Wi-Fi system used by the Nintendo Wii and DS systems will officially cease functionality for multi-player games. For players who still play Brawl and Project M online, this creates a major problem. However, Brawl player pidgezero_one pidgezero_one and MK8 community member DiddyKong (a.k.a. tbtechwiz tbtechwiz ) have co-opted a guide on a possible solution: dedicated servers. Wiimm and MrBean35000VR of the Wii-Homebrew community are hosting a DNS server that will reportedly allow players to continue playing Wii games online.

If this interests you and you are an active Wi-Fi player, act fast. In order to reserve your current Friend Code, it must be registered on the server by May 18, 2014. If it is not registered by that date, you will not be able to keep your old friend code, meaning that you must also create an entirely new save file.

Guide writer pidgezero_one pidgezero_one is "not a PM player and have little to no knowledge of how the launcher works. I have no idea if this will work for PM."

Click here to learn how to reserve your friend code and log on to the custom Wi-Fi servers.

*Writers Note* Thanks to pidgezero_one for writing this guide! Also thanks to user WhiteLightnin for bringing it to my attention. If there is anyone in the community who has more intimate knowledge on how the online infrastructure works and whether or not Project M would be playable on a setup such as this, please send me a direct message.

The Derrit doesn't play Smash online, but may yet get a chance to with this new development. You can reach him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Meh PM already has netplay anyway, but that's great for Brawl wifi warriors.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Doubt ill actually do this but it's good that its out there for people who want it. I wonder how good the connection will be.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Gotta say this was a really slick move by Nintendo to force more people to upgrade to a 3DS/WiiU. The most popular online communities on the Wii are Mario Kart Wii and SSBB... Both Mario Kart 8 and SSB4 will be coming out within the next few months.

I see what you did there Nintendo.

Adond

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adond
3DS FC
4055-4803-1437
R.I.P Rest in LAN Mario Kart wii ;_;7

Adond

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adond
3DS FC
4055-4803-1437
This reportedly works for Mario Kart Wii as well.
Yes it will but there are plenty of people still playing Mario kart wii online and they need a bigger server than that of course.

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
Gotta say this was a really slick move by Nintendo to force more people to upgrade to a 3DS/WiiU. The most popular online communities on the Wii are Mario Kart Wii and SSBB... Both Mario Kart 8 and SSB4 will be coming out within the next few months.

While I understand what you're saying, it's actually not what Nintendo was going for. Their servers were under a company called GameSpy, which was shutting down. Nintendo wasn't the only one effected by the shut down, but it just explains why they're dropping support of the games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/gamespy-multiplayer-shutting-down-hundreds-of-games-at-risk

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
While I understand what you're saying, it's actually not what Nintendo was going for. Their servers were under a company called GameSpy, which was shutting down. Nintendo wasn't the only one effected by the shut down, but it just explains why they're dropping support of the games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/gamespy-multiplayer-shutting-down-hundreds-of-games-at-risk
It just seems too convenient that this is happening literally 2 weeks before Mario Kart 8 launches, but I guess I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
It just seems too convenient that this is happening literally 2 weeks before Mario Kart 8 launches, but I guess I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.
again lol I agree, but given the fact that it's not just Nintendo being effected, i think you're being a little too skeptical about it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Let's see... I play... nothing on the Wii's Wifi... so I'll pass this one. I'll give it to some friends though who might like it.

Shin F.

Smash Master
PM should work. Remember, all Brawl transmits through wifi is inputs so as long as both people have the same build running, any form of Brawl mods will work, including Project M.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Actually, it's partially because GameSpy is shutting down as a business, and for some reason, Nintendo hired them for their servers.
edit: and someone beat me to the punch

Last edited:

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
I really don't care because wifi annoys me now. I don't know. This opened the doors to netplay for me. I ain't never goin' back baaaaaabbbbbyyyyyyy.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I am the one who reported to pidge about the custom servers, they are worked on my mrbean35000vr, chadderz, soneek, and the project is led by Wiimm

the servers will mimic exactly as nintendo's one does when you connect to it, it will perform match making and establish peer to peer connections with the wiis f the players in the match, and manage online status for your friends.

The way we will connect to it is a mod to brawl's main.dol where its connection initilialization part of the netcode lies, and offsets are changed as the file size is reduced, this means

that the file patch code for projectM might NOT work unless the code is revised, also not a PM player myself, I know that when you mod stuff that codes usually use to do their thing, they stop working

if the code calls brawl's SD reading functionality and its moved, the code needs to be revised or the file patching needs to be done by the PM loader like how riivolution patches file, I suggest the PMBR not take any chances and revise their loader app to behave like riivolution as a way to replace the file patch code instead of being a simple updater for the PM files while using gecko from an SDHC IOS

for you brawlers with custom textures out there, unless you don't mind switching to USB loader, I suggest transitioning to riivolution now as a modded main.dol that my LAWL mod pack will have will be needed to connect to our new server, also do NOT wait til the 11th hour to register your friend code, i don't know what hour on the 18th and based on what time zone the deadline is

I also would like to point out that the PMBR NOT require a gaming PC and dolphin net play post shutdown as then you have people who cannot afford gaming rigs unable to PM online anymore and I am sure that competitive players wouldn't want a cheap slow computer in the room bottlenecking the lag in the match now would they?

netplay is pretty much brawl's wifi but more controlled and favoring accurate input over full game speed, and brawl favors full game speed over accurate controls and will delay the controls more to keep game running at 30/60 FPS

but net play sacrifices framerate for more precicely responsive controls

Last edited:
Be sure to play with a wired connection. You can buy Wii LAN adapters for $20. Wii's wi-fi card sucks. There is so much lag on a wireless connection. Play on a wired connection so it's less painful for you and your opponent

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
also I forgot to mention, that there will be people scrambling for XMLs that account for this DOL

DO NOT WORRY

Me and therealbeanjr will create them for you and account for GECKO directory patches for your music and textures

I will even include options for you mod heavy people to mod the unhackable songs:

final smash songs
item songs like the hammer

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
^Clutchest member of the smash community right here

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR

This isn't a slick move, the games (including DS games) are run on Gamespy servers which are going down (Ubisoft is shutting online down for 50 GAMES) and since the Wii wasn't really a console built for updating games and such and they don't need to focus on it anymore. There was no way they were gonna waste resources when bigger and better games need it

Edit: Dang 2 people beat me, oh well

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Never really played online. If I were to play online matches, it'd never be with Brawl. MK7 and SSB4 got me occupied, but awesome work, guys!

If only this were for DS as well..? Bc all of the games that I wanna play online are DS.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Never really played online. If I were to play online matches, it'd never be with Brawl. MK7 and SSB4 got me occupied, but awesome work, guys!

If only this were for DS as well..? Bc all of the games that I wanna play online are DS.
im not sure if we will support DS but currently the DS connections are OPEN

you need to check with Wiim tfor what games will be supported

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
Mario Kart Wii community for the win.

Thank their community and MrBean w/ this group for first coming up with the sever documents several months before the announcement of the WiFi shut down.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Mario Kart Wii community for the win.

Thank their community and MrBean w/ this group for first coming up with the sever documents several months before the announcement of the WiFi shut down.
we've been paranoid about the possibility this would happen, we were investigating about backup servers for the past Year, we were well prepared for this

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
we've been paranoid about the possibility this would happen, we were investigating about backup servers for the past Year, we were well prepared for this
Yeah but you can investigate all you want, it was the MKW people that actually DID it

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I have a legit question. Does it matter if I live in Australia and have a PAL Wii. Also will the connection be better then Nintendo Wifi Connection?

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I have a legit question. Does it matter if I live in Australia and have a PAL Wii. Also will the connection be better then Nintendo Wifi Connection?
doesnt matter you can reg a pal wii via method B, duno about the second question

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but you can investigate all you want, it was the MKW people that actually DID it
I'm not saying brawl hackers at all even thought abou t it, it was purely the mario kart hackers who were paranoid about it and were actually working on it for a year
is this for the wii or dolphine?
yes its for both but what's the point in using the ****ty netcode on brawl with dol[hin when you have net play as an option, this is mainly for those who aren't rich enough to get a gaming rig TO netplay brawl

you can register no matter what region and it is NOT a match server, nor was brawl programmed to use a server to sync the match data during a match brawls net code is peer to peer "netplay" with ****ty settings on it

the server is a matchmaking server to keep the online and find/make matches. without the server, you cant even logon to enter a match

in short, no this will not make brawl wifi better nor does it handle traffic coming from the matches other than announcing to your friends that you are playing a match,

if you are having problems with brawl wifi, check that the latancy (ping) on your wifi is not high, and that your wifi hotspot isnt already taking any connections (even an idling one) from any other device unless you got one of those asus routers or use a LAN connection

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Wow, this sounds really cool. Congrats for pulling this off! Can you also change the default ruleset, or is that hardcoded by the game?

JakieWinks

Smash Apprentice
I kinda skimmed all this stuff so I'm sorry if this has been already answered, but will the new servers be faster or work differently than wifi? I'm asking because I'm concerned with the lag on pm wifi.

Top Bottom