• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibility of Time Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyruleanHero

Smash Journeyman
Okay, but what if time travel proves the law false? I mean, what if they made it a law, assuming there was no way to break it, and then time travel would prove it wrong. People make mistakes...

Kirbitsu

Smash Apprentice
There are a lot of hypothetical situations, but normally scientists don't use the term "law" without reasonable certainity. But think about it, if we sent all of the matter in the universe back in time we would effectively double the matter in the universe. (Hypothetically speaking of course :) )

PorCorpWis

Smash Ace
I'm beginning to see that there's a lot more to this than I, or most of the other posters, have fully aknowleged. It's an even more complex issue than we're giving it credit for, but I don't have time to study it in order to come to a real conclusion...

Here is something which I don't understand, perhaps someone can answer for me. People have referred to the 4th dimention as time, with something like this as their logic: A line is 1 dimentional. An infinite number of lines is a 2 dimentional plane. An infinite number of planes is a 3 dimentional object. So then it would follow than an infinite number of 3 dimentional objects is the 4th dimention, and the way we percieve this is time. Then it would follow that in fininite number of timelines is the 5th dimention. I'd be at a loss for what to say after that though.

Then there's the hypercube page that focuses only on spacial dimentions. 1st is L, 2nd is L*L, 3rd is L*L*L, 4th is L*L*L*L, 5th is L*L*L*L*L... this one is easy enough to continue on, but why is it supposed to stop at 13 or whatever?

So are there just two opposing viewpoints here, is one of them wrong/right, or am I missing something? :confused:

P.S. DK Dude, although I guess you could call that "time travel," we (at least I) aren't talking about optical tricks. We're talking about actually moving to a different point in time.

Tiger

Smash Apprentice
If time travel (to any useful or practical degree) was possible we would already know about it. In fact, we would have known about it centuries ago. Why? Because, from a theoretical point of view, someone would have come back in time, had the ability been granted. Since they have not, we have to assume that in all of the rest of human, or other intelligent life forms, span of existence, for the entirety of our futures, no one figures out how to do it.

They had infinite time, but didnt do it.

So odds are, it cant be done.

Six dimensions? Neigh. How long is a line? Infinite both ways. What is a plane? Infinity squared. Space = I(nfinity) cubed.
Some dude before gave time three dimensions. That makes another I cubed. Together that makes I to the sixth power.

Allow me to introduce my own theory, titled:

"The Theory That: Proves Everything and Nothing: Answers All Questions but, then, No Questions: Explains the exhistance of exhistance of exhistance, yet matters none." (subject to change)
So, my own theory is that we do not exhist in six diminsions with an Infinity to the sixth power. Rather, the diminsions that make up stuff go something like (takes breath):
Ifinity to the infinite power to the infinite power to the infinite power to the infinite power to the infinite power to the infinite power to the infinite power to the infinite power to the infinite power to the infinite power.. on beyond forever. That fact is, you six diminsions of space and time are only one in Infinity. And in that other Infinity are what some might call "parallel diminsions." Worlds that are so simular to our own, that it'd be almost impossible to tell them apart. Although, even that hardly explains all of it. In these infinities of diminsions are every possible arrangement of matter, anti-matter, space, and time possible (and infinite coppies of these). Therefore, there are infinite diminsions where I am Mario, king of all mushrooms. And diminsions where the world is an orange.. and anything, ect-ect. Therefore, don't feel bad when you "create" one more diminsion by traveling back in time to save the pres. Heck theres a diminsion where you gotta assonate him, bring him back to life, and torture him for eturnity.
This means that all that happens in our petty diminsions does not have to make logical sense. The world could have been created yesterday. Life came about as a result of five tenis balls colliding. But, then again. Maybe ours is one of those diminsions that actually make sence. But it is impossible to discover if this is so, or not. That is why I have titled my theory:

"The Theory That: Proves Everything and Nothing: Answers All Questions but, then, No Questions: Explains the exhistance of exhistance of exhistance, yet matters none." (subject to change)

But, dude. I wanted to make my own topic for that. It applies to everything. Not just time. Ah, vell. Hope I did better in some other diminsion.

the_puff

Smash Apprentice
It's not really that complicated when you think about it. For every event, there are several possible outcomes. For each outcome, there is a separate dimension. When you look at how many different events that take place in even the smallest of occurences (even as small as whether a single atom moves to the left at a particular moment or to the right), there are so many different outcomes, and thus different dimensions, that adding more would seem insignificant in comparison. Thus, if time travel creates new dimensions, as suggested above, the amount of dimensions created due to people screwing up the timeline would still pale in comparison to those naturally occurring. It doesn't relate all that directly to the original topic, but it does relate to the direction the topic has been going recently.

By the way, I hate to ruin your fun, but someone has already come up with a theory like this. However I'm sure their name for it isn't nearly as interesting.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by the_puff:
<strong>It's not really that complicated when you think about it. For every event, there are several possible outcomes. For each outcome, there is a separate dimension. When you look at how many different events that take place in even the smallest of occurences (even as small as whether a single atom moves to the left at a particular moment or to the right), there are so many different outcomes, and thus different dimensions, that adding more would seem insignificant in comparison. Thus, if time travel creates new dimensions, as suggested above, the amount of dimensions created due to people screwing up the timeline would still pale in comparison to those naturally occurring. It doesn't relate all that directly to the original topic, but it does relate to the direction the topic has been going recently.

By the way, I hate to ruin your fun, but someone has already come up with a theory like this. However I'm sure their name for it isn't nearly as interesting.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL, dragonballiac time philosophy.

DK Dude

Smash Ace
sorry for my weirdness eailier. The optical stuff was just a way to look at the past, but not acutally 'live' it [or hear it either O.o]. anyhoo, that thing where the scientist recived a signal before they even sent it is trippy O.o, like Bill and Ted... like, do we even have control over fate? I'm gonna look that up on the net and see if i can find anything on it. Trippy...

anyhoo, why/how are there so many alternate dimensions [ie. "one atom makes a differecnce"]? Once an event has passed, that's it, it's in the past. My question is how can multiple dimetions result in one even [exucse my "baka"-ness if this has an obvious answewr -_-;]. Now unlsess time travel [into the past] becomes a actuallity there should only be one clear-cut dimention [unless in the future time travel to the past is possible and that is what has created all these dimentions O.o]...

finally: on page one of this topic there is so much talk about time travel to the future. Uhhh, the point being...? Technically were are traveling to the future, even as you read this you are a few seconds in the future than when you started reading [yeah, yeah :rolleyes: ]. Anyhoo, thank goodness were're talking about time travel to the past now ^_^. What would really be the point of traveling to the farrrrrrr future if you couldn't come back [with like the cure for cancer, ever see Thirteen Monkeys]? Which brings me to another question, if time travel will ever be possible, how come no one from the future has come to the past to show us that we will some day create time travel? Or maybe something like that has already happed and we don't know it cuz it will have changed our preceptions [like in Invader Zim episode Bad Bad Rubber Piggy where Dib remembered stuff than Zim 'created' in his past that 'never happed']. Yeah, yeah, i know this is a debate but isn't a debate supposed to answer questions too?

:)

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by DK Dude:
[QB
Yeah, yeah, i know this is a debate but isn't a debate supposed to answer questions too?

:) [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that is the REAL purpose of debates. to get to an agreement. not like some pointless, eternal debates out there **cough religion debates cough**

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
We are not physicists, nor are we temporal scientists. We have neither the understanding, nor the background to discuss such an advanced topic.

For these reasons I declare this topic;

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom