• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibility of no more chaingrab?

CO18

Smash Hero
Well ive been thinking now and I think we should look into this...

It seems as if characters can get out of the chaingrab with certain moves.

90% of the time when I play against Ikes or Wolfs, the player can stop the chaingrabbing by jabbing and hit you instead.

It also has been mentioned that sonic's up+b will get him out of the chaingrab and that toon link's grab? will grab you before you get to regrab him.

Nothing to really panic about yet because it could possibly only be a few characters...

but its made me wonder whether every character has a move that can get them out of Dedede's chaingrab.:(

Hopefully it wont happen but if you have a friend over or playing someone close on wifi, we should try to do some testing to see if more characters may have a move that can escape Dedede's chaingrab..

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
Well... there's Samus and her up-B, that makes it overkill on D3 now... not to mention anyone with a fast up-B. That's everyone but Ness/Lucas/Lucario?/Kirby/Snake/Fox/Falco, and maybe some other characters. And those characters have a different move that gets them out. PLEASE TELL ME IF I MESSED UP WITH THOSE UP-B CHARACTERS.

But, because of this, down-throw could be used more as a combo-starter. down-throw to Dtilt/dash attack anyone?

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Hmm....was this happening on local play? Just have to be sure.

People have a general misconception that chaingrabs are unstoppable, but in reality, they're pretty easy to screw up. I'll see if I can con my younger siblings into being test dummies.

Vayseth

Smash Master
It's not like it was ever guarenteed to begin with. Most D3 players test to see if the player knows how to get out of it before doing down throw into other things. Also, his forward or back throw seems to set up some nice edge guarding b-air set ups.

Doing a down throw and reading the opponent's tech can lead to early deaths. For example, if you start dashing and the opponent techs back, hit the dash attack and you'll hit them out of roll. It's nice.

And that's all the chain grab/D3's down throw is: a mix up. None of it is guaranteed, but if you read the opponent, you should be fine.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
It's not like it was ever guarenteed to begin with. Most D3 players test to see if the player knows how to get out of it before doing down throw into other things. Also, his forward or back throw seems to set up some nice edge guarding b-air set ups.

Doing a down throw and reading the opponent's tech can lead to early deaths. For example, if you start dashing and the opponent techs back, hit the dash attack and you'll hit them out of roll. It's nice.

And that's all the chain grab/D3's down throw is: a mix up. None of it is guaranteed, but if you read the opponent, you should be fine.
Yea pretty much what he said. It got me wondering after reading that thread about sonic's up b. Also, when i played certain comps, they had "certain moves" that countered my chain grabbing. Im going to be testing it tomorrow but I think most characters are going to find ways to counter it.

CO18

Smash Hero

Yeah, that is true but its still just an extra option and a good one. The more options the better.

Rainbow TroUt

Smash Cadet
This is my first post on the forum and I'd just like to jump right in the discussion.

I've had smart players escape my chaingrab and I'm sure a few characters are capable of escaping. As Vayseth said dash attacking can work wonders if they tech back. Sometimes just to mix it up I'll down throw into an ftilt and toss a waddle dee if they start coming forward or try to surprise them with a dtilt.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
test on a lvl 9 computer. if they can stop you then so can a good human

shae_hawk

Smash Rookie
My roomate and I practiced this for quite awhile last night against Peach. She seems to not even get to tech the throw and is re-caught in the next throw before being able to take any action, including hits of any kind. Probably something to do with her unique physics, we could also just be wrong and haven't found her "escape move" yet.

Rainbow TroUt

Smash Cadet
My roomate and I practiced this for quite awhile last night against Peach. She seems to not even get to tech the throw and is re-caught in the next throw before being able to take any action, including hits of any kind. Probably something to do with her unique physics, we could also just be wrong and haven't found her "escape move" yet.
I don't think EVERY character has an escape move. But I'm fairly certain by the time it's said and done a few will have ways of escaping. Ike and Wolf for sure, and most likely Sonic. I'm sure a few more will pop up. If you mix it up a regrab here and there should still be possible.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
some of you have said Noob things.

1/3-1/2 of the charcters can tech roll the Dthrow.
the rest do not fall down when they are Dthrown and WILL get grabbed again if they do not have a fast attack to stop it.

thats all.

vZakat

Half Genie
You guys are shield canceling your grabs, right. you can cancel your dash by shielding and then grab after it. DDD standing grab is faster than his running grab. As long as I don't mess up the shield cancel I don't miss the chaingrab. I haven't tried it on every character yet but Toonlink hasn't given me any problem.

CO18

Smash Hero
You guys are shield canceling your grabs, right. you can cancel your dash by shielding and then grab after it. DDD standing grab is faster than his running grab. As long as I don't mess up the shield cancel I don't miss the chaingrab. I haven't tried it on every character yet but Toonlink hasn't given me any problem.
...yeah.. lol.

I havent had a problem with TL either but someone else reported so I just posted it in case.
Thats why there is that ? lol.

Ike can get out of it for sure, tried it a whole bunch of times offline as well to make sure it just wasnt lag screwing up my CG, wolf too.

Havent tested the sonic one either but this is mainly for posting if you encounter something that can easily break the chaingrab.

As said before, Im quite sure there will be alot or at least some characters that dont have a move to escape this but its something to look out for none the less.

Vet

Smash Cadet
This just leads to more need for mindgames. DDD has great options out of the chaingrab that can lead to mix ups.

You can run up and sheild the attack and counter attack from there, run up and side step to try to bait something like Toon link's grab. You can also forward tilt for free damage (albeit lame damage) or you can even run up and sheild cancel your run into something like a D tilt to give yourself range and some power out there.

Lithos2322

Smash Rookie
L2chaingrab

While using D3 it is possible to cancel out jabs and the damage still happens just as long as you SC(shield cancel) correctly. If done correctly certain characters should not be able to mess up your chaingrab unless your playing on the horrible wifi system brawl has and the frames skip. :(

Top Bottom