• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Pose for the fans!" "RAAGH!" Wrestler & Reporter Go for a Perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I would laugh so hard if they come in the game, imagine their introduction trailer. You can add me to supporters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could see their reveal trailer crossing over with WarioWare really easily. Wrestler posing and taunting Wario into a fight and all :laugh:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
**** Karate Joe, this macho guy would be the best idea of a Rhythm Heaven rep. I can already see him as Smash's very own Zangeif with that special Nintendo flair. As for the reporter, would she just follower him around or have special attacks of her own in the mix.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That'd be a great way to describe his style indeed R.O.B.! Think Smash in itself is really lacking heavy weights. And aside from King K.Rool, I can't really picture too many new heavy weights.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I just want to point out, that The wrestler is probably the most iconic rhythm heaven character, in no small part to to fever's trailers. His game is the first I think of when I thikn of Rhythm Heaven.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I see no need to bast Karate Joe either. But Wrestler is that much more awesome yeah.

Imagine him being the Wario with that brute strenght we never got...

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Wrestler steals Wario's movement style and personality, Wario acts more like Wario Land Wario.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wario stays like Wario, Wrestler becomes more like the powerhouse brute Wario we know from the WarioLand games?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'd be completely fine with the reporter acting as a summoner character with various cameo rhythm heaven characters, but either way I'd love a rhythm heaven character. (They'd be visually unique as well as unique in playstyle if they had a rhythm gimmick etc.)

D

Deleted member

.....no.

1. Mona is from a completely different series.
2. It makes absolutely no sense to have Wrestler with anyone else other than his Reporter co-star.

It's like saying Starfy should be with Rosalina instead of Lumas.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
A completely different series? You said yourself that they appeared in one another. They obviously have the same artstyle, and Mona is a reporter.

I don't think it would be much of a stretch for Mona to replace the reporter. It would also give me a reason to give a **** about this character. Because I sorely want to.

D

Deleted member

A completely different series? You said yourself that they appeared in one another.
No. I said Wrestler and Reporter made a cameo in Game & Wario.
Making a cameo DOES NOT MEAN they are from the same series; W&R are from Rhythm Heaven, Mona is from WarioWare.

They obviously have the same artstyle, and Mona is a reporter.
Mona is a lot of things. However, she is not the Rhythm Heaven character who is named "Reporter".

Two completely separate individuals (especially considering they BOTH appear in Game & Wario and are of different ages).
The reason the two series have the same artstyle? THEY ARE MADE BY THE SAME DEVELOPMENT TEAM. And really, the only WarioWare title to have the artstyle like Rhythm Heaven's is Game & Wario, which came out after Rhythm Heaven Fever.

I don't think it would be much of a stretch for Mona to replace the reporter. It would also give me a reason to give a **** about this character. Because I sorely want to.
On the contrary, it'd be as much as a stretch as having a Rosalina & Starfy team.
If your only interest in Wrestler is having a WarioWare character lumped with him instead of his matching Rhythm Heaven partner, you're in the wrong thread.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Because they made a cameo in a Wario game that means they are related?

That's like saying Mario and Zelda are related because Mario and several other Mario characters make a cameo appearance in Ocarina of Time.

And the artstyle being similar means jack-squat.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The artstyle is only similar because the games were made by the same team and it is a popular art style right now in Japan.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I actually think Wrestler would be the greatest Assist Trophy ever:

"POSE FOR THE FANS!" would probably cause everyone but the one who released him to taunt, or maybe freeze time(complete with a newspaper screen shot of the stage for 2 seconds in which only the one responsible(or his team) can move)

As for playable...I'm not sure yet. He's definitely my favourite Rhythm Heaven option though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Did the Wrestler from Rhythm Heaven just escape into Bleach? Anyways, potential Final Smash. :troll:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I guess I'm not opposed to a Rhythm Heaven rep. What would you guys think of Marshal instead? I honestly think he would fit in with the Smash cast better and he seems like he could incorporate a whole lot more Rhythm Heaven series stuff in his moveset than the Wrestler.

EDIT: Didn't realize there was support for Marshal already. Thought I was bringing up a new character idea.... my bad.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Eh, I guess I'm not opposed to a Rhythm Heaven rep. What would you guys think of Marshal instead? I honestly think he would fit in with the Smash cast better and he seems like he could incorporate a whole lot more Rhythm Heaven series stuff in his moveset than the Wrestler.

EDIT: Didn't realize there was support for Marshal already. Thought I was bringing up a new character idea.... my bad.
According to this poll, there are relatively few Marshal fans.
You're like an endangered species. A national treasure.

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
You're like an endangered species.
Never said it was a lot of support. I thought I was saying something brand new though. Regardless, I don't really care who the Rhythm Heaven rep is if Sakurai even considers it is deserving. Maybe I should make a Marshall support thread (that would probably increase popularity anyways don't you think).

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
You're like an endangered species.
Wait, where exactly did this poll come from?

If you want someone who would "do the series justice", Marshall and Karate Joe are horrible examples.
Marshall only appears in one title like Wrestler, and is barely in said title; just in the Rhythm Test and in the Credits' Night Walk game as well as Remix 10.

Karate Joe would only "represent" the Karate Man games rather than the series as a whole, and quite frankly, appearing more doesn't mean diddly if the character in question is still a nobody. More people would recognize Wrestler and find him interesting than a generic MS Paint karate guy. Has Rosalina not shown already that interesting and unique > recurring when it comes to new guys? I mean, She was picked over the likes of a Toad or Bowser Jr., which have existed longer.

You didn't bring him up as such, but Samurai Steve/Wandering Samurai is well, a samurai. We've got at least 3 other samurai pining for a Smash role that have more chances than he.

"Rhythm Girl" and Rhythm Monkey are more along the lines of what you'd be looking for, but at the same time, it's rather hard to see them being worked in and not give off the same kind of vibes that Wii Fit Trainer already gives off.
EDIT: Unless "Rhythm Girl" was a Yugi-styled summoner that "played as" other characters in-battle to reference the fact she's the unofficial player avatar. Then I could see her outshine Wrestler.
Marshal and Karate Joe I mention mostly because they're still likely candidates if this series got representation. Even then, Marshal is far more likely than you give him credit for, particularly because his presence in NIght Walk pretty much retcons it so that he was in the first game, and he's also around in Choir Boys for the DS, a title in which he was also on the cover. Karate Joe I won't argue because I agree with you. I still would prefer him to Wrestler though, because beyond his grunts and poses, the character has absolutely nothing and since his moveset would exploit the fact he's a wrestler, that immediately assumes it wouldn't represent rhythm or other games of the series as much.

My second point, who's your audience? You're talking about people recognizing Wrestler more, but which people? All of Rhythm Heaven has been a meme for a while, long before Wrestler came about. The Wrestler is just the latest instance of RH mini-games becoming memes. It's not just the Wrestler that gives image to Rhythm Heaven. Of course, if we're talking Smashboards, then yes, naturally he's obviously more popular. But Smashboards is not representative of the general population, so if I could have a genuine source where it says that Wrestler is the popular option, then I'll take it. Which is why I'm eager to know where exactly Hippotosauce's poll came from.

The Rosalina example is completely irrelevant. She's about as old as this series, give or take a year. All she proves is that when it comes to Mario Galaxy is huge and it's a character that EAD Tokyo clearly loves and Nintendo wants to keep on supporting.

Monkey and girl shine imo in the sense that they could actually promise gameplay mechanics that take advantage of what the series is about. The reporter following the Wrestler around does extremely little in presenting the diversity and random nature of Rhythm Heaven, as does, again, the fact that if we have a Wrestler in the game he'd have to, well, wrestle. And for that sake, I'm sure Nintendo has wrestling games from which to get an actual wrestler. The same problem Karate Joe has, in that he'd have to focus on just doing the Karate thing ignoring anything else from the actual series he came from.

Again, nothing wrong with Wrestler, but when it comes to Rhythm Heaven I just see other candidates as having much much more potential to actually represent the Rhythm Heaven series. But ultimately, like Hippotosauce says, just getting a rep from this series will be wonderful enough.

D

Deleted member

a. Rhythm Heaven Fever's Night Walk doesn't retcon the previous version.
b. Marshall is not one of the Choir Boys.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I found the poll on Reddit and apparently it's been posted on 4chan and I just post it here occasionally.

Also, I don't actually have anything against Marshal.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I don't believe I posted here yet.

I support the wrestler for a rhythm heaven choice. Karate joe is too weird looking.... I mean... look at dem eyes man....

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
How didn't I see this before?! I support!

I've never actually played the game, but one of my favorite Youtubers did a series of it, and it seemed like a pretty darn cool game. I've been trying to get my hands on a copy, but I haven't had much luck.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I support this. He would be really unique compared to others in the game so far. And I'm a fan of Wrestling.

D

Deleted member

Changed title since the Rhythm Girl thread already uses the "Beat the Beat" reference.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Wrestler and Reporter how exactly would the mechanic work? Would it be tag team, a transformation, something like Ice Climbers or something completely different? I'm wondering because I feel like if it was an IC centric idea I don't think the reporter would be necessary considering I don't like the idea of another IC type character because it would be redundant and un-unique IMO.

D

Deleted member

Regarding Wrestler and Reporter how exactly would the mechanic work? Would it be tag team, a transformation, something like Ice Climbers or something completely different? I'm wondering because I feel like if it was an IC centric idea I don't think the reporter would be necessary considering I don't like the idea of another IC type character because it would be redundant and un-unique IMO.
Neither.
You control Wrestler while Reporter follows you around to the side of the battleground (being close to the action, but out of harms way). Wrestler does all the fighting, but there are just a few moves that Reporter performs instead (still working this part out), and she gives Wrestler audio cues for moves such as Smash attacks, to reference that aspect of the Rhythm Heaven franchise.

D

Deleted member

EDIT:
Accidentally hit "reply" instead of "edit" on the front post.

Son of a *****....

Last edited by a moderator:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Neither.
You control Wrestler while Reporter follows you around to the side of the battleground (being close to the action, but out of harms way). Wrestler does all the fighting, but there are just a few moves that Reporter performs instead (still working this part out), and she gives Wrestler audio cues for moves such as Smash attacks, to reference that aspect of the Rhythm Heaven franchise.
Maybe use her as a combo device. Wrestler attacks, reporter sound cue, if you time the second attack with the cue it would increase knockback or something to reference the rhythm game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom