• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Where do you stand on DLC for Smash?

Under what circumstances would you buy DLC for the 3DS or Wii U for Smash?

• Total voters

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Without hesitation I'll buy character or stage DLC. You just have to have all of them for maximum fun XD

In terms of what I hope for it's a little bit of a mix. Personally I'm a big fan of moving away form "cuts" so the more full Nintendo veterans return the better. It's sort of like job security, even if I don't play the characters it's just nice to know that once you're in you're in (especially if you''re in two games, poor Ice Climbers)

So yeah I was never a big player of cut characters but I would love to see them all come back. For newcomers 2 of my top 3 picks are already assist trophies so I'm not getting my hopes up, lol, but I want
1) Ghirahim
2) Krystal
3) Tingle
However I'll be happy overall to see any newcomers join the roster even if I think others are cooler/ more deserving. The more characters the more fun experiences you can have.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Shut up and take my money! even if its a custom stage builder expansion dlc ill buy it! just start crankin out the goods Nintendo!!!

SwiftZephyr

Smash Rookie
NNID
ElementalZephyr
3DS FC
3883-5807-4344
I would buy pretty much any DLC Nintendo could decide to throw at us unless they were overpriced (but Nintendo isnt Capcom and they did pretty well with FE:A DLC so i believe in them). But as unlikely as it is, i would day 1 main and insta-buy any sort of Azure Striker Gunvolt DLC (could prolly guess that from my pic) but to me it makes atleast a little bit of sense. ASG is a Nintendo Exclusive title and i may be looking too far into it but there is an event that is named "When Lightning Strikes" which was the main motto of ASG's advertisements ("When lightning strikes, A new legend is born!") and also in the credits they have something named "Project Lumen" and one of the main characters in ASG is Lumen sooooo i guess i would be more interested in newcomers though i would still go crazy if Roy were too come back (as long as they at the very least tweak his moveset a bit and add more of t3h ph1r3).

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
No matter my preferences on whom will get in, I'm all game for Smash DLC. Woop woop~!

dangeraider

Smash Rookie
Never going to happen, but I really want Banjo and Kazooie. I'll buy any DLC though.

Azew

Smash Lord
I'll get any Smash DLC, like I got every FE 13 DLC.
Honestly the only other thing I think about involving DLC is than Lyn still has a fraction of a percent of a chance...

Last edited:

MDAVE

The Flying Dutchman
NNID
GoldDiaruga
3DS FC
1048-8967-3255
Lucas was a good character on his own, IMO. It made me sad to see Ness having Lucas's moves as his available custom moves.
Ice Climbers have been around since Melee, and Roy is just.. Roy. Though, Roy would mean just a different kind of clone of Marth, which would be.. eh.

Pichu's comeback would mean SIX different Pokémon characters (Mewtwo included) which would be kind of insane.

And well Snake.. Snake is a character I truly miss. Mii Gunner doesn't even slightly make up for the lack of Snake. :sadeyes:

Last edited:

QQue

Smash Rookie
NNID
QQninja
I would buy DLCs for characters and definitely skins if they ever decide to do that later in the future. But stages on the other hand I'm pretty oppose to, being that most DLC for maps/stages usually splits the community.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I just want Smash 4 to be the best game it can be.

If DLC in the form of fighters, stages, online modes will do that, then cool.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
DLC is a trend in gaming I haven't been a fan of.

To start: spend $60 on a game.

But wait, for another $9.99, you can have this stuff which will later be discovered was planned for the base version of the game!

This bugs me a LOT. Games are pricy enough before that... and if you know that something big like a character isn't available to you the game feels really incomplete.

Oh and more!!! More levels for a game, which we plan on replacing with another $60 game in less than a year now, for 9.99, act now and get both for a buck off!!! Don't like it? Well get used to server's kicking you out of multiplayer when this level was chosen. And if you do like it, get used to great games falling apart when this happens because other players got sick of our nickle and dimming of them!

When multilayer is a part of the game, it fractures the gaming community to much.

I could go on... but for those reasons I tend to avoid games that aren't designed to last years... and for single player I wait until the version with the game and all the DLC comes out for $30ish.

But... for Smash Bros I am open to the idea. The lifespan of the game lasts a console generation or so. (I suspect some melee players will disagree with me here... but I and many others moved on from one smash to another when they come out.)

If it is done in a budget friendly way I could jump on bored. A couple of characters, stages, with maybe some costumes and items thrown in for a reasonable price is something I would consider. Over the lifespan of the game, enough hours will be put into it where it is budget friendly.

If every month another $10 character comes out... it will get old and not worth it quickly and could turn me off of the series for good.

Last edited:

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
DLC is a trend in gaming I haven't been a fan of.

To start: spend $60 on a game.

But wait, for another $9.99, you can have this stuff which will later be discovered was planned for the base version of the game!

This bugs me a LOT. Games are pricy enough before that... and if you know that something big like a character isn't available to you the game feels really incomplete.

Oh and more!!! More levels for a game, which we plan on replacing with another $60 game in less than a year now, for 9.99, act now and get both for a buck off!!! Don't like it? Well get used to server's kicking you out of multiplayer when this level was chosen. And if you do like it, get used to great games falling apart when this happens because other players got sick of our nickle and dimming of them!

When multilayer is a part of the game, it fractures the gaming community to much.

I could go on... but for those reasons I tend to avoid games that aren't designed to last years... and for single player I wait until the version with the game and all the DLC comes out for $30ish.

But... for Smash Bros I am open to the idea. The lifespan of the game lasts a console generation or so. (I suspect some melee players will disagree with me here... but I and many others moved on from one smash to another when they come out.)

If it is done in a budget friendly way I could jump on bored. A couple of characters, stages, with maybe some costumes and items thrown in for a reasonable price is something I would consider. Over the lifespan of the game, enough hours will be put into it where it is budget friendly.

If every month another $10 character comes out... it will get old and not worth it quickly and could turn me off of the series for good.

My friend and I played Brawl so much we literally got an achieve that rewarded us for playing so many matches that we had reduced the price per match to $0.01 (based on original retail value) That doesn't include time spent enjoying every part of the game outside the "smash" menu. And we went on to play the game for 2 more years. When I start to think about the value I get out of this game in that sense I feel like a lot of prices could be pretty reasonable to me.

Hyrule Warriors has left me a little inquisitive, but with the pure Nintendo games so far (Mario Kart and Sm4sh) I've been SUPER pleased with DLC. It hasn't felt like content they left out of the game it's felt like extra features and or content they want to bring us but are bringing after release in order to get us the game in a timely fashion.

The more DLC feels like a response to what fans want (and not a drawn out process to squeeze out $$$) then the more I appreciate it. So far SSB4 definitely feels that way (right? lol) A lot of the most successful games do exactly that. Fans say "you know what would make this game better? This" and the developer goes "We're bringing you that and charging you for the time/ resources spent incorporating it" Basically I just hope it continues to feel that way.

At some point too much content is too much. But I don't see them giving us one character a month, lol. I kind of doubt we'll even see them at a rate of one per year assuming we see more after Mewtwo.

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
It depends for me really; I would love to get Snake and Wolf back from all the vets. As for the newcomers, I'd probably only get the ones whose moveset interest me or if I really like the character. There's so few characters that I really want to see in Smash though, and pretty much all of them that I do want are nearly impossible to see showing up.

PF9

Smash Lord
There needs to be lots of DLC. In particular, every cut veteran needs to be brought back. In the case of the Ice Climbers, there should be no problem making them Wii U-exclusive, we can have a 3DS-exclusive DLC character in return - perhaps that character can also be a relic of the NES era, maybe Bubbles? I mean, if we have version-exclusive stages, why not characters?

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
There needs to be lots of DLC. In particular, every cut veteran needs to be brought back. In the case of the Ice Climbers, there should be no problem making them Wii U-exclusive, we can have a 3DS-exclusive DLC character in return - perhaps that character can also be a relic of the NES era, maybe Bubbles? I mean, if we have version-exclusive stages, why not characters?
I'm 100% sure they want to keep the roster the same in both. If something is only on 3DS everyone playing WiiU will complain. I'm holding out a tiny inkling of hope that Ice Climbers will return as DLC for both but require the use of New 3DS (seeing as how the reason they were cut was not enough computing power and the New 3DS has more)

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
My friend and I played Brawl so much we literally got an achieve that rewarded us for playing so many matches that we had reduced the price per match to $0.01 (based on original retail value) That doesn't include time spent enjoying every part of the game outside the "smash" menu. And we went on to play the game for 2 more years. When I start to think about the value I get out of this game in that sense I feel like a lot of prices could be pretty reasonable to me.

Hyrule Warriors has left me a little inquisitive, but with the pure Nintendo games so far (Mario Kart and Sm4sh) I've been SUPER pleased with DLC. It hasn't felt like content they left out of the game it's felt like extra features and or content they want to bring us but are bringing after release in order to get us the game in a timely fashion.

The more DLC feels like a response to what fans want (and not a drawn out process to squeeze out $$$) then the more I appreciate it. So far SSB4 definitely feels that way (right? lol) A lot of the most successful games do exactly that. Fans say "you know what would make this game better? This" and the developer goes "We're bringing you that and charging you for the time/ resources spent incorporating it" Basically I just hope it continues to feel that way.

At some point too much content is too much. But I don't see them giving us one character a month, lol. I kind of doubt we'll even see them at a rate of one per year assuming we see more after Mewtwo.
Yes Fans are begging Sakurai to add (:wolf:,:lucas:,Krool, etc) in as DLC. If the fans are pratically begging and wanting to pay for it, why not do it, its a win win, the fans get what they want, and the developer gets money without witholding content, the only characters we flat out know were planned,but cut were :popo:, the others we have no clue about. Just look at this poll taken on Smashboards,
Last update to my first poll. I'm making a second version of my poll with some additions (no removals) and some changes.
Can't Let You Do That, Tier List
Wolf 622

Top Tier
Lucas 578
King K. Rool 542
Ice Climbers 531
Ridley 453
Snake (Metal Gear) 443
Dixie Kong 415

High Tier
Toad/Captain Toad 381
Bandana Dee 369
Isaac (Golden Sun) 348
Black Shadow 345
Roy 326
Kamek 312
Paper Mario 311
Impa 311
Krystal 311
Banjo & Kazooie 305

Mid Tier
Ashley 292
Waluigi 285
Majora (Skull Kid) 282
Dark Samus 261
Bayonetta 260
Hades 247
Bomberman 238
Samurai Goroh 233
Simon Belmont (Castlevania) 232
Chrom 218
Inklings 217
Midna 209
Rayman 208
Ghirahim 207
Wonder Red (Wonder 101) 201
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney) 201

Low Tier
Sceptile 195
Shy Guy 192
Squirtle 187
Lyn 187
Medusa 186
Cranky Kong 178
Ivysaur 178
Zero (Mega Man) 175
Chibi Robo 173
Porky 172
Captain Syrup 161
Takamaru (The Mysterious Musasame Castle) 161
Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven) 160
King Boo 157
Slippy 156
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) 155
Viridi 151

Bottom Tier
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog) 147
Ganon 145
Anna 145
Andy (Advanced Wars) 145
Knuckles (Sonic the Hedgehog) 145
Professor Layton 143
Geno (Super Mario RPG) 143
Vaati 141
Claus (Masked Man) 141
Dillon (Rolling Western) 140
Sora (Kingdom Hearts) 139
Tiki 129
Blaziken 128

Shantae 127
Tetra 126
Tharja 126
Fawful 122
Young Link 121
Groose 121
Hector 119
Ray MK (Custom Robo) 119
X (Mega Man) 117
Pichu 116
Magnus 115
Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) 115
Crono (Chrono Trigger) 115
9-Volt 114
Viewtiful Joe 114
Mach Rider 113
Toon Ganondorf 112
Zoroark 112
Tingle 111
Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog) 110
Blood Falcon 109
Knuckle Joe 108
Pokemon Trainer (Kanto) 108
Lanky Kong 107
Funky Kong 105
Sylux 102
Gengar 101
Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day) 101
Mona 100
Agnès Oblige (Bravely Default) 99
Ephraim 97
Captain Rainbow 97
Prince Fluff 96
Saki (Sin & Punishment) 96
Daisy 95
Jeff 95
Hawlucha 94
Toon Zelda 93
Kumatora 93
Lana 92
Marshall (Rhythm Heaven) 91
Starfy (The Legendary Starfy) 91
Wolf Link 90
Excite Biker 90
Fiora (Xenoblade) 90
Ninten 89
King Hippo (Punch Out!!) 89
Ryu (Street Fighter) 89
Black Knight 88
Meowth 87
Scizor 86
K.K Slider (Animal Crossing) 86
Dunban (Xenoblade) 85
Reyn (Xenoblade) 84
Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia) 84
Adeleine 83
Lip (Panel De Pon) 83
Quote (Cave Story) 83
Paula 82
Pokemon Trainer (Hoenn) 81
Poo 80
Plusle & Minun 78
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes) 78
Pokemon Trainer (Kalos) 77
Phosphora 75
Jimmy T. 74
Zant 74
Anthony Higgs 74
Yarn Yoshi 73
Gardevoir 73
Rundas 73
Micaiah 73
Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven) 73
Cloud (Final Fantasy) 73
Kat & Ana 72
Sami (Advanced Wars) 72
Giygas 69
Balloon Fighter 68
Maxwell (Scribbelnauts) 67
Deoxys 66
Peppy 66
Roll (Mega Man) 66
Elite Beat Agents 65
Raiden (Metal Gear) 64
Pokemon Trainer (Johto) 63
Zael (The Last Story) 62
Genesect 61
Cia 59
Mike Jones (Star Tropics) 59
Pokemon Trainer (Sinnoh) 58
Captain N 58
Blastoise 57
Eirika 57
Pokemon Trainer Villain 56
Alex (Golden Sun) 55
Slime (Dragon Quest) 55
Rhythm Heaven Girl 54
Prince Sable (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 54
Dig Dug 54
Magolor 53
Mew 53
Cooking Mama 53
Nabbit 52
Pokemon Trainer (Unova) 52
Heracross 52
Louie (Pikmin II) 52
Baby Mario 51
Eevee 51
Felix (Golden Sun) 51
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) 51
Jody Summer 50
Eggplant Wizard 50
Marx 49
Klonoa 48
Mallow (Super Mario RPG) 48
Ravio 47
Space Pirate 47
Pico 47
Eliwood 47
Flint 47
Matthew (Golden Sun) 47
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) 47
Rival Trainer 46
Toon Sheik 45
Serperior 45
Duster 45
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) 45
Chocobo (Final Fantasy) 44
Mallo (Pushmo) 43
Miku Hatsune (VOCALOID) 43
Darkai 42
Weavel 42
Leon 42
Mr. Resetti (Animal Crossing) 42
Nightmare (Soul Caliber) 42
Jill (Drill Dozer) 41
Dracula (Castlevania) 41
Moogle (Final Fantasy) 41
Typhlosion 40
Tyranitar 40
Deathborn 40
Wrestler (Rhythm Heaven) 39
Dark Matter 38
Aeron (Pandora's Tower) 38
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil) 38
Chunky Kong 36
Tiny Kong 36
Brittany (Pikmin III) 36
Charlie (Pikmin III) 36
Tempo (Harmo Knight) 36
Gray Fox (Metal Gear) 36
Baby Luigi 35
Absol 35
Sylveon 34
Panther 34
Mumbo Jumbo (BanjoKazooie) 34
Lightning (Final Fantasy) 34
Demise 33
Soren 33
Hydreigon 32
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga) 32
Gooey 31
Pangoro 31
Gyarados 31
Plasm Wraith (Pikmin III) 31
Hero/Heroine + Eevee (Pokemon Conquest) 31
Chun Li (Street Fighter) 31
Baby Bowser 30
Classic Link 30
Goemon (Mystic Ninja) 30
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) 29
Dr. Kawashima (Brain Age) 29
Zitz (Battletoads) 29
Metagross 28
Style Savvy 28
Gruntilda (BanjoKazooie) 28
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) 28
Chef Kawasaki 27
Alex Roivas (Eternal Darkness) 27
Isa Jo (Sin & Punishment) 27
Yarn Kirby 26
Tyrantrum 26
Goku (from Yūyūki. You know, as opposed to that OTHER Goku) 26
Heihachi (Tekken) 26
Stanly the Bugman 25
Diancie 25
Rayquaza 25
Andross 25
Dr. Stewart 25
Shake King 24
Hilda 24
Leif 24
Sigurd 24
Hunter (Fossil Fighter) 24
Muddy Mole (Mole Mania) 24
Urban Champion 24
Zekrom 23
General Scales 23
Donkey Kong Junior 22
Lord Frederik 22
Agahnim 22
Milotic 22
Labrador / Grey Tabby (Nintendogs + Cats) 22
Lolo + Lala (Adventures of Lolo) 22
Daroach 21
Rick 21
Nobunaga + Hydreigon (Pokemon Conquest) 21
Ivy Valentine (Soul Caliber) 21
Medli 20
Ana 20
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club pt. II) 20
Diskun (Famicom Disk System) 20
Lugia 19
Calista (The Last Story) 19
Ragna (Blazblue) 19
Orublon 18
Phantom Zelda 18
Yuga 18
Elincia 18
Ashley Robbins (Trace Memory / Another Road) 18
Sakura Samurai 18
Heracles (Glory of Heracles) 18
Jumpman 17
Espurr 17
Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk) 17
Donbe & Hikari (Shin Onigashima) 16
Hero (Magic Starsign / Vacation) 16
Lark (PilotWings) 16
Sheriff 16
Vince (Art Acadamy) 16
Vivillion 15
Ryota Hayami (Wave Race) 15
Ryuta (Ouendan) 15
Tamagon (Devil World) 15
Jin (Tekken) 15
Queen Sectonica 14
Zapdos 14
Caeda 14
Celice 14
Daitoryo (Hanafuda) 14
John Raimi (Geist) 14
Noel (Blazblue) 13
Giant Robot (Project Giant Robot) 12
Sol (Guilty Gear) 11
Alice (Balloon Kid) 10
Momohime (Muramasa: The Demon Blade) 10
Kiddie Kong 9
Demille (Tomato Adventure) 9
Devil (Devil World) 9
Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Acadamy) 9
Dr. Write (Sim City) 9
Harry (Teleroboxer) 9
Prince Richard (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 9
Welt (Soma Bringer) 9
Taranza 8
Hardin 8
Miss Madaline (Magical Starsign) 8
Mokka (Magical Starsign) 8
Narbarl 7
Tin Star 6
Bridget (Guilty Gear) 6
People want DLC for this game, its well worth the effort.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Your poll seems kind of limited. There's no mention at all for any kind of DLC other than playable characters.

But as far as playable character DLC goes, I'd like to see it evenly balanced between veterans and newcomers. A Starfox DLC pack would be ideal, with Wolf and Krystal joining the roster, a new HD version of the Corneria stage, a Dinosaur Planet stage, then other new Starfox stuff, like music, trophies, etc. Then other DLC packs like that. DKC would be another good series to get its own pack. They could also do mixed packs, too, though, where it's not all stuff from the same series. But no more than 4 packs total. Maybe like $6 each or $20 to buy them all at once.

Two game modes I would love to see come back, even if as DLC, would be Break the Targets and Adventure. Since this game is unfortunately split into two between the 3DS and Wii U versions, I'd say the modes could function differently on the two. For Break the Targets in the 3DS version, it could be like Brawl, where there's just 5 stages for everyone and then in the Wii U version they should give each character their own. Then for Adventure, basically just make the Wii U version bigger and the 3DS version smaller and quicker. So the 3DS version would be like Melee where you just play it in one go, whereas in the Wii U version you would have a save file system because it's so long. But, this might be too much for DLC...

Also, as far as Stage Builder enhancements DLC, that should be free. The stage builder should have been better in the first place. Hopefully we'll get something in the spring update along with Mewtwo and Miiverse stage to help the stage builder. Anything.

Considering DLC and the fact that the game is split in two, it makes me think that maybe that's what they're testing with the spring update. If people are going to download the update on one more than the other. Perhaps, if the majority of people only get the DLC for Wii U version, then they'll focus more on providing content for that version. Or, if it's downloaded evenly between the two, they'll focus equally on each.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
I will buy any character honestly. I don't mind if the character is from a series I don't care for because I like having more characters, and learning all of them. Even those I don't like. Also seeing characters from games I don't play makes me play the series themselves. Earthbound and Fire Emblem and the best examples of this

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
I will pay for a melee like revamp of the physics and mechanics. It doesn't have to change the whole game, but it should be an option in special smash.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I will buy anything that gets released as DLC, especially characters and stages. The more, the merrier.

Top Bottom