• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Where do you stand on DLC for Smash?

Under what circumstances would you buy DLC for the 3DS or Wii U for Smash?

• Total voters

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Okay everyone please show us where you stand on DLC for Smash 4.

Also are you more looking forward to veterans or newcomers if you would buy either?

I am more looking forward to veterans.

Last edited:

Tainic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tainic
3DS FC
5327-2155-2373
i'd prefer Veterans coming back really, they're easier to make than completely new characters (the biggest thing to do is make the model (worst case they import the trophy model) and rebalance the character, whereas making a new characters requires some time to make a moveset from the source material, balance it, make the character original and so on.)

just bring back lucas and sopo/sona and im happy

Raijinken

Smash Master
Roy's our boy, but I'd pay for Isaac or an Advance Wars rep easily.

And basically anyone else, too. More characters, more fun.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I personally would be happier to see old veterans back, but I would probably buy all DLC regardless if it is veteran or newcomer.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Unless it's something pretty grand, I probably won't be interested in DLC.

PixelPoet

Smash Rookie
NNID
forester13
3DS FC
4012-3895-9442
I'd probably buy a character DLC, if I could see myself playing as that character often, or unless one of my friends plays as him as well. If not, I'd probably hold off on it, but eventually I'd cave and buy it if the price is reasonable.

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
I personally would be happier to see old veterans back, but I would probably buy all DLC regardless if it is veteran or newcomer.
my thoughts too. excited to see what they might do for some newer characters as well though. It might be interesting to see how they react to reviews of the game with DLC.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
As long as the DLC is done as well as it was in Kart 8, I'm game.

Probably a balance, since I really don't see more than 4 DLC characters being possible.
Theoretically, I see up to 6 DLC characters possible, assuming the existing roster only shifts half a space at a time, as it has when unlockables are earned. There is just enough room to add four characters to the corners without any shifting on the top and bottom rows of the roster. The middle two rows can be shifted half a space to add a character to each row as well, totaling six. Maybe we will see two separate DLCs as it is in Kart 8?

One final observation: When you select stages, each one is represented with an icon, denoting which series it is from. Oddly, the Wrecking Crew stage has its own icon, even though it could have easily been classified as part of the Mario series. This definitely opens up the possibility of DLC characters and/or stages that are from series outside the existing cast. Maybe we will see Foreman Spike as a playable character or even as an assist trophy?

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Depends on the veterans and newcomers. Guys like Captain Toad and/or Roy wouldn't appeal to me, while Wolf, Lucas and/or K. Rool would.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Knowing myself, I'd probably buy any character they offer, whether I actually like them, know them or dislike them and whether they are veterans or newcomers....

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The only potential DLC I can see myself getting is Snake, or maybe Geno if they can somehow get the rights to use him.
(And Mewtwo, though he's already confirmed anyway)

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Where's the "I'll buy any kind of Smash DLC Nintendo offers me" option. That's the one I would choose.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'll buy characters and stages, but they should come in packs that are $5 or so.

They need to offer free cosmetic DLC though. I'd love to get more tracks and more different-character-alts for several characters.

_gold_

Smash Master
I will buy anything. New/old comers, stages, costumes, whatever.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I don't see them doing that many veterans tbh (and if they were from Melee they could be billed as "new" like Mewtwo was). Pichu was a "joke" character iirc, Lucina is apparently similar to Roy (I've heard this but i haven't played either character so I could be completely wrong here), Young Link is more or less Toon Link, the Ice Climbers didn't work on the 3DS and may have not worked in 8 Player Smash (we have no proof of this as we don't know if they "barely just got it working" before or after they were cut from the game), Ness has Lucas' moves as customs, they showed no interest in bringing back Ivysaur and Squirtle when they split the Pokemon Trainer, and Snake seems iffy since he was 3rd party (I dunno how the negotiations between Nintendo and Konami would go). Wolf is the only one left and even though he was kind of a Fox clone Sakurai doesn't seem to care about that much any more; in fact clones would work well for DLC, especially packs, because it's a quick way to add in more content and "sweeten up" the deal or whatever. If I had to guess I'd probably say we'd only get Lucas and Wolf as veterans, but probably with somewhat altered movesets. Maybe the Ice Climbers if they magically found a way to get them to work on the 3DS (very unlikely) and 8 Player Smash was never an issue with them.

For newcomers I think DK and Zelda really need new characters; my vote goes for Dixie Kong and Impa. He almost definitely won't do Ridley, and I can't really think of anyone else Captain N that they could add. All in all I could see no more than 6 DLC characters (excluding Mewtwo), and I think that at best only 2 of them would be veterans. Maybe 2 packs with 3 characters or 3 packs with 2?

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
Here's how many DLCs I think there's going to be: 1, which is obviously :150: :mewtwomelee: :mewtwopm::drohyou:

But I would like a pack that has Ice Climbers, Wolf, Lucas, *Pichu, *Roy, Squirtle, Ivysaur and *Snake

*= Extremely low chance:drsad:
also inkling

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I'd buy Wolf. Otherwise unless it's a character I have extreme nostalgia for like Crono, Isaac, miscellaneous Zelda characters...then no.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'll buy all of the DLC for Smash eventually.

Regarding veterans, if it's someone like Pichu, I won't bother with it until there's something else to pick up with it.

With newcomers, I'd probably get them regardless, but King K. Rool, Inklings, Lip, and a few others would be instant buys.

If either Snake or Rayman show up, I would fly to Nintendo with the money in person. That may or may not be an exaggeration.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
For some reason i always thought it would be sweet if they made the Sandbag playable. More so as a "joke" character, sort of the same theory as jiggly puff. Just give the sandbag the ability to slide around and have most of it's moves be nothing flashy, just headbutts and spins and stuff. Would be awesome to train against a sandbag with an actual moveset.

That and I think Birdo could be an amazing Yoshi clone. Eggs being shot straight instead of lobbed, and just a slight difference in moveset.

But I really don't think any of this will ever happen, if we're talking about realistic DLC, i would buy stages in a heartbeat. Music i'd get if it was cheap, and costumes i'd get if they were for my mains.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
All I need is Snake and Ice Climbers. Ice Climbers could be Wii U exclusive, as far as I'm concerned. Anything else would be a nice addition, but nothing I'd rush to buy.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd buy them all eventually, but if Snake and Wolf are veteran DLC, they take the highest priority in my book. I'll also take any newcomer DLC, costumes, stages, and maybe even music (I do hope music DLC becomes a thing, at least).

TheCrusaderp

Smash Rookie
I love Smash so much that I would buy pretty much any DLC for any character, hell, I'd buy Pichu if he was DLC.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
I'll buy any character/stage-related DLC they release. It's always nice to have more choices to choose from, after all.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'll download all DLC regardless of what it contain (unless it's basically scamming).

But honestly, I'm not holding my breath for DLC beyond :mewtwopm:, Tournament mode, & Miiverse stage (but I'd like to be wrong though).

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i will throw all of my money if there was geno but if there is more DLC characters than 1 then i will buy them all but i prefer newcomers (if there is a character that i want like isaac not someone random like inkling and captian toad)

Khao

Smash Lord
Assuming they're not just a Lucina/Dark Pit-level clone, as in they're an already-existing character with a couple of minor changes instead of a fully new character or even one of those less clone-y clones, I would buy any new character released in a heartbeat.

Newcomer, veteran, don't give a ****. As long as it comes with a new moveset or a unique twist on an old one, I want it. I already went crazy over the announcement of Mewtwo, if they made another character as paid DLC as unique as him, I'd get it day one.

I would also be totally interested in new stages.

I'm not very interested in aesthetic changes that don't affect gameplay, like costumes or music.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I don't equate Captain Toad or Inklings with "random".
thats just my opinion

inkling:splatoon wasnt released yet and people asking for it for not big reason its just like requesting the girl that appear in the new fire emblem game and people doesnt know who is she

captian toad:why captian toad but not the normal toad that every mother and father knows also captian toad game was released after SSB4WIIU. and the normal toad has 3 games of his own but captian toad just have 1. the normal toad even got his own amiibo he is important to mario seires than captian toad but he was deconfirmed already (as peach move) so i dont like to see captian toad instaed of the original that everybody knows

Last edited:
Top Bottom