• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll of the Week #6 - What New Aspect Of SSBR Is Most Important To You?

What New Aspect Of SSBR Is Most Important To You?

• Extensive single-player mode - a full length game in its own!

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • A ton more extras (i.e. Break the Targets / Homerun Contest / Coin Mode)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Stick with the basics; more stages and more characters, kudasai!

Votes: 141 34.4%
  • It's all about the online play, baby!

Votes: 203 49.5%
  • I'm the black sheep in the group - give me 3x as many items!

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I'm good w/ whateva

Votes: 37 9.0%

• Total voters

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Even though we don't know the exact features of SSBR, we do know a few, and we can predict most. So I ask you, what new aspect of SSBR (to the best of our knowledge) is most important to you? For me, it's online play. I'd be happy with SSBR simply being SSBM but with online play (well, okay, not really, but I'd much rather take online play than extra characters). How about you?

nightcape1

Smash Apprentice
more chars. and more intricate stages, maybe side scroller stages, like infinite glacier, but sideways, and more hazards. also, b-tilt moves, tilt and smash throws, arial tilts and smashes, and different a attacks depending on which direction you're facing, i.e. backward tilts. and maybe diagonals, such as in throwing, tilts, b attacks, etc. to mix up the game a little. the hr contest needs to have higher max distance, and we need to bring back board the platforms. that $h!t was awsome. oh and btw, nice job with the japanese kokichi.

エッスエッスビアル を 下さい。

quak

Smash Champion
i was debating wheather to pick basics or online, but i decided that online is so much funner than playing by urself...............too bad for the controller tho :'(

Legomaxx

Smash Journeyman
Definitely online play. Thats my number one reason for getting this game as well as the revolution itself.

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
There's not an option of reshaping of the tiers. It's going to happen, you can't stop it. It's almost worth $200+ (rev. and SSBR) just to not have to play Marth so much anymore.

M3ca

Smash Apprentice
online play just owns. XD

i would love to play people in USA while im in ASIA. or does it not go that far? lol

JFox

Smash Hero
The ability to play the game online without worrying about lag ruining the game. That is my biggest worry. Also making sure that the characters are well rounded, and that if there are bugs/over balanced characters, that they fix them with updates.

Sm00th_Crim1nal

Smash Ace
JFox said:
The ability to play the game online without worrying about lag ruining the game. That is my biggest worry. Also making sure that the characters are well rounded, and that if there are bugs/over balanced characters, that they fix them with updates.
NO. Keep the bugs/exploits.

JFox

Smash Hero
I don't mind bugs like wavedashing because that is a really cool part of the game that takes work and really seperates the boys from the men. Also it is available to all characters and opens a world of mind games. I hope wave dashing is in the next game for sure.

But stuff like Mewtwo's or IC Glitches. And maybe the yo-yo glitch, and Foxes waveshine infinites. Perhaps the IC's un-DI-able grab combos should too be used as an example.

Basically anything that if ever mastered could be a catastrophy should not be in the game. Lucky for us most things that would be a disaster if mastered are just way to difficult.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
JFox said:
Basically anything that if ever mastered could be a catastrophy should not be in the game. Lucky for us most things that would be a disaster if mastered are just way to difficult.
There goes about half of the current moves then.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
I want to vote on three things: Impressive one-player-mode, new stadium things and all chars. But I ended up voting on the chars.

Zem

Smash Rookie
This would be a tough decision if Online Play weren't in the list.

M3ca said:
i would love to play people in USA while im in ASIA. or does it not go that far? lol
No, the internet does not extend from the U.S. to Asia. Computers are not that far advanced yet.

Garath331 said:
There's not an option of reshaping of the tiers. It's going to happen, you can't stop it.
Yes. This is a huge assumption on my part, but I'm going to say that they are not aiming for imbalance.

Blind

Honorbound
I think... well, all of it's extremely important. As an intense competitive smasher, i have the desire to see lots of balance, a very similar engine to SSBM, and could really care less about the items. I want balanced stages, and as anybody who knows me can tell you, a near obsessive desire to play as Meta-Knight from the Kirby games.

But since it's produced to a much bigger audience then the hardcore, I'm also expecting and hoping for frenetic levels, ridiculous items, and tons of chaos. Because I'll not just be playing this game one on one, but I plan to invest in a lot of free for all craziness on and offline.

Of course, there's online play... just as long as the means through which it's achieved is good, I'm happy. Decent channels for searching, and customizable game search settings (much like filters for online games) so you can set things to "item settings: on, off," stage. If I had to guess, it'll probably, for online play, be done that way, with the "host" of each game picking everything, everybody saying "we're ready" and then hitting start or whatever. It has always seemed just like the most efficient means of handling those things in an online environment, because the way the game is now with everybody being able to fiddle with controls and settings, the general *******ery of the internet would come into play IMMEDIATELY and we'd be screwed.

And lots of single player stuff. Crazy gimmicky things so that people who don't take the game seriously can still find a ton of things to enjoy about it without having to play tons of crazies online.

The thing that gets me still about online play is how people can just quit during matches, which is blah. And as other people have said, lag is my biggest worry. That's why, basically, I picked "whateva," since all those elements will be dead important to making this game a commercial success like its predecessor.

GabbyJay

Smash Rookie
Since I'm liable to get destroyed against anyone I play online, I'll vote for more characters. I especially want them to dig out some characters from the past and characters you don't expect to see there.

And if they add Slippy Toad, I'll fulfill my insane desire to smack that stupid amphibian upside the head. Most....annoying character.....EVER!

fenixkaldoran

Smash Apprentice
Online play would make the new smash game the best in the series. But due to past experience with other online games (Socom, Live, Madden, ETC) lag is gonna be a major factor especially taking into count that this is gonna be the 1st hard worked on online title for Nintendo. Phantasy Star Online was on Dreamcast 1st.

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone ever stopped to think that no matter how many chars. get added, we'll only end up playing as maybe five of them? Top Tier won't expand. So I'd rather see other things focused on than the 50+ characters everyone keeps drooling over.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
you dont change a winning formula
just dont screw it, keep it the same as now
online is also important though

Liveit_

Smash Apprentice
i chose online play, but im also quite scared of the 'lag factor.'

Can i please ask how far-reaching the online play will be (just around about), cos i live in Spain and im worried about the amount of people that play here. If it reaches as far as england tho i'll be happy! :D

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
Online play, definately. Just the ability to play against other players all the time is great. Although I really hope they set it up like DS WiFi with different skill level rooms and such.

If I didn't live so far out in the middle of nowhere then I would have voted for keep to basics, but more chars/stages.

My BIGGEST worry about SSBR is that they won't stick to basics. If it's all 3d or something I'm really gonna be disappointed. The game is amazing with the engine it has now, I see no need to revamp it, this also allows more time to work on other things like graphics, SFX, new characters etc.

Anyways, another great poll as always Kokichi! :pimp:

Player00

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see how online play is really going to be good... even with high speed(I'm talking 512K) there is still going to be AT LEAST like 5 frames of lag. In smash every frame counts. It just isn't going to work. To be honest, I foresee everyone who plays smash competitivly to stop playing internet smash after about 2 months and then labeling it as "laggy crap that only noobs play". Just my opinion...

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
True but obviously Nintendo realizes that 5 frames can mean life or death and will make sure there is NO lag while playing on-liine or else they wouldn't include it. I don't think it's out reach for the Revolution.

Mastr_Advocate

Smash Apprentice
Player00 said:
I really don't see how online play is really going to be good... even with high speed(I'm talking 512K) there is still going to be AT LEAST like 5 frames of lag. In smash every frame counts. It just isn't going to work. To be honest, I foresee everyone who plays smash competitivly to stop playing internet smash after about 2 months and then labeling it as "laggy crap that only noobs play". Just my opinion...
Very true... 5 frames of lag is a lot, I'm also scared of such a thing happening.

Because of this, I voted for more characters and stages and will stick with playing with the friends that I play with now...

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
Why isn't "improved fighting and gameplay in versus mode" a choice here? That's what's most important to me. Sure, SSBM has amazing gameplay, and I could play my friends all day and enjoy myself, but I have high expectations for SSBR. I hope they'll utilize the Revolutionary features AND maintain a similar feel for the game. It's arguably Nintendo's most important game (arguably--but this isn't the place to argue it), and it needs to improve on SSBM gameplay-wise, in a way that can appeal to both "casual" and "competitive" gamers.

Gate Everest

Banned via Administration
Garath331 said:
Has anyone ever stopped to think that no matter how many chars. get added, we'll only end up playing as maybe five of them? Top Tier won't expand. So I'd rather see other things focused on than the 50+ characters everyone keeps drooling over.
That's an... odd statement.

While it's probably true that the number of commonly considered tournament viable characters will be about the same (five is wrong btw, it's more along the lines of nine that are commonly shown as being 'tourney viable'), the other characters are -not- neglected. Azen and Captain Jack are famous for playing the whole cast, and there are very few people who only ever play one or two top tiers.

There is, of course, such a thing as playing for fun. And such a thing as playing a character because you like that character. And the whole variety is the spice of life thing. I wouldn't have gotten into this game if I was just thinking "Hey, I can win money!" I was first attracted by the idea of playing as Link, Fox, whoever. Then the variety in character matchups and playstyles held my attention, and then came competition. And the third one will again attract me with the newest people on the block, then the challenge of learning new moves and playstyles, then I'll start thinking about showing off.

That being said, if this is just SSBM with online (especially considering I don't think the online'll be too great) tacked on, I'd seriously reconsider my loyalty to the series. My priorities are something like:

1. More characters/stages (so long as balance stays about the same or gets better)

2. More balance. In a perfect Smash, you could see any character taking nationals. As it is, only about 1/3 of the cast is considered. Smash is a pretty well-balanced game (1/3 is awesome compared to some other games, after all), but I'm always striving to be a bit better in this area.

3. Online play. Because I just don't trust that it's going to be too stellar. If I was more trusting in it, it might be higher... but then again, everyone knows it's all about face-to-face competition.

4. Extras/First Player extensions. I don't really care about this, but it'd be fun to have on a rainy day when no one else is around.

5. Items. I don't even remember the last time I used items... I don't even remember what most of them are XD.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Online play, baby! If they kept this game the same as Melee, with the only change being online, I would still pay anything for it.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
In all honestly, I'd be pleased with SSBR if it were just online SSBM. Not that all the other things (especially the more characters and levels) aren't important, but online will just bring new depth to the SSB world. We will no longer be restricted by our regions. Of course, live beatdowns will always be the best, but I'm going to be a Smash Addict when it comes out online.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
characters and stages!

*unrelated story*
when my japanese teacher told me that kudasai means please whenever she told us a command and forgot to add kudasai just to annoy her I always say say please and she gets really mad and its really funny

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
Smash G 0 D said:
Omg I need more characters and places and online play this will be TOO awesome..except the controllers!!!!!
I am VERY interested to see how Nintendo will handle the controllers, because so far that's got me really worried. I mean how are we supposed to smash with a TV remote!? Oh well I haven't got this far doubting people who make the games, I just play them.

theleocat5

Smash Cadet
Eternal Smasher said:
For me, it's a tie with everything. All I want from SSBR is MORE, and I'm good.
EXACTLY!
I love super smash bros. melee. It is basically perfected. All i expect from SSBR is more. chars, online, stages its all good.

Sighrax

Smash Lord
Digamma said:
I am VERY interested to see how Nintendo will handle the controllers, because so far that's got me really worried. I mean how are we supposed to smash with a TV remote!? Oh well I haven't got this far doubting people who make the games, I just play them.
The "remote" is kind of the like the Dreamcast thing that went into the middle of the actual controller FYI.

I hope SSBR keeps things exciting. New characters are always great to see because of new potential can come from anyone. The online play will be neat, but I have a feeling there will be lots and lots of complaining. Lag spikes happen, and people will cry. "Do it at a tourney" will be a commonly repeated phrase.

I hope the "advanced tactics" stay. Some things should be tweaked, like infinite shines, etc. Other than that, a little more variety in single player would be nice. Keep the home run contest :)

Top Bottom