• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Is it okay to taunt?

Is it okay to taunt?

• Total voters

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
Bum****, FL (Heart forever in Massachusetts)
NNID
Dante_Galileo
See poll and title.

Also, if you selected "Depends on the opponent's character", please say which ones you do it to. I only really taunt against :4falcon:, :4diddy:, :4link:, :4littlemac:, :4samus:, :4sheik:, and :4zss:, if only because it gets real annoying real fast running into these seven as often as I do the other 45 or so combined. (I suppose I'm venting a bit there?)

Also you must choose the last option.

EDIT: I have no issue with taunting, so long as it's not used for being an @sshole.

Last edited:

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
I put down "Yes, but only if the other guy does it first" although I myself don't do it. I think that's the safest option. Although I have seen some Youtubers who will taunt and then attack their opponent if their opponent taunts as well (which is partly why I don't do it).

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
I said yes, because say if it's the beginning of a match. If he runs at me, I won't taunt. If he just stands there AFK, I will. Not really a matter if someone does it first or not with me. I sometimes taunt after a kill, but if they're super aggressive, I don't take the chances of me being killed. I don't spam taunts in For Glory, and I've never seen someone try to spam taunts either.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
Yes, no matter the context its just a game, just because you taunt doesn't mean it's a personal attack against your opponent. Stop crying about taunts and worry about getting better and winning at the game. Taunt always. I almost never play online anymore so in person my intentions are clear, but even when I did play online I'd use taunts whenever I could. If you get offended over someone's actions in a video game, you have problems.

Last edited:

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I taunt if I want to. There are literally no connotations behind it - if my opponent takes it personally, that's their issue. I don't mean anything by it.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It varies from time to time with me. I try my best to be respectful to anyone and everyone and just have fun, and seems how most tend to dislike taunting and consider it as disrespectful (in most cases) I just don't do it. Chances are if I do end up taunting they may take it the wrong way, cause they simply have no way of knowing I mean it in a good way nor a bad way sadly.

It's cause of this I refrain from taunting unless someone does a "Taunt Greeting" at the start of the match first to which I return the favor, or someone else taunts whether it's after they win or after a KO. Basically, if they taunt then I don't see the harm in doing it.

It can be very rare for me to taunt just to taunt or to even taunt to be a jerk, but there are some instances where I will do so. For example, I absolutely hate passive players. The ones who only wait for you to approach so they can punish anything you do. The ones who make no efforts to attack at all until you get near them, but otherwise just kind of sit there. I taunt these specific people in hopes of getting them aggressive. I'll taunt without getting a KO or anything just to get them to do something than be passive.

It rarely works though, but I still try in hopes of making them want to bash my face in rather than be all "No no, after you!"

Now, if it's someone who taunts after everything...? Oh yes, I will start taunting right back at them. Most of these guys who taunt after everything are just severely cocky and think they're tough players. You can taunt after a good KO, but to taunt anything and everything is over doing it. It shows that you're cocky if you have to taunt everything, so I won't be afraid to repay that behavior.

It makes these over-taunters furious sometimes when you do it back at them, which I find hilarious. An example of this would be a match between Me (As King Dedede) Vs a Donkey Kong player. He'd taunt excessively while I was practicing as Villager who I've only been actively playing for a little over a month now and would win a few of the matches. Last match he taunted twice after one KO, so I busted out my main and shown him where that cockiness lands him.

He didn't like that much...

So in short, I tend to use them wisely or at least respectfully, unless someone down right deserves them. I play Sm4sh to just have fun after all and when someone chooses to make it less fun then well, the gloves come off and the hammer comes down.

Last edited:

Gamin'Snow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Snowcracker
I used to taunt as a greeting, but I kind of stopped when people decided to be jerks and get in free hits while doing so. Nowadays unless the opponent taunts first I don't do it much (I prefer to crouch at the beginning, it's my way of bowing to them as a sign of good luck and isn't as punishable as a taunt). I will fully admit to doing it if I get something awesome like a full hammer kill, or if my opponent gets a good punish on me and takes my stock though.
In turn, I will fully respect somebody who taunts after a decent kill or something else like that. All I ask is that you make sure I'm dead first. If you taunt while I'm still alive, I won't hesitate to bring out the disrespect. In fact, I used to have a couple replays (RIP pre patch replays >': ) where I won a match by dimensional caping someone who taunted because they thought they'd killed me.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Does anyone else kind of use that same singular taunt for every situation (greet taunts, respect taunts, etc.) cause the other two either come off cheesy/gives you second hand embarrassment? Like in my case Ike/Roy's grunt/yell taunts.

Anyways probably my favorite use of a taunt is like when my opponent kills me in a funny/awesome way and they taunt/or not and I respawn to taunt as well. I've also had fun moments like that in team battles where my first taunt of a match is a respect taunt and get around to killing them and they respect taunt back. It's just such an awesome feeling seeing people use taunts in the reverse way (taunting when they die).

I like the vibe of those types of taunts and one of the only times where I may end up taunting first to acknowledge the play.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
I like it when me and my opponent have a dumb off stage fight and we both lose a stock. We both respawn and taunt at the same time. It's rare, but I love moments like that.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
I put down "Yes, but only if the other guy does it first" although I myself don't do it. I think that's the safest option. Although I have seen some Youtubers who will taunt and then attack their opponent if their opponent taunts as well (which is partly why I don't do it).
Yeah this is really scummy and is is distasteful. I don't know why people do it.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
For the most part, I try to be respectful and I do friendly taunts at the start, and I also taunt after I do an impressive kill or my opponent does the same. However, if my opponent is an obvious **** (e.g. Attacking me during a friendly taunt, Taunting twice/showboating after a kill, after I SD, or crouching repeatedly after it), I won't hesitate to be a **** back.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I taunt after KOs and mid-match to get under peoples skin.
I thrive on their mistakes.:4dedede:

Kous

Smash Rookie
I think taunts are just a part of the competitive atmosphere especially in 1v1. I picked Yes, but only at the beginning of matches or after a good combo/comback/kill. Taunts can be used for mind games like said above (which can make ppl salty), but I think taunts are a way of congratulating yourself or your opponent in rare cases.

My Guide to Taunting (For Glory):
A Comeback: when you are at maybe 50%-60% and your opponent is at 0% and you kill their stock before you die, but i hate it when they get salty and think you just taunted for the fun of it, and just taunt back when they kill you when you have 150% (and they have 0%) lol. Generally any nice play you make probably justifies a taunt.

Respect: If i get owned or suicide myself from something stupid, I will taunt to show respect to my opponent for being awesome or to show I'm having fun and am stupid.

2v2 For Glory: If you get a double kill or you and your teammate kill both your opponents, then you deserve to taunt. Plus their both off the stage, so they can't interrupt you :3

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Honestly, i taunt whenever i feel like.
Be it after i get a kill, my opponent SD's, or i do something really dumb (like SDing myself).

And i don't get this mentality of "OMG, taunting is so disrespectful!! You're such a douche!!"
If my opponent gets offended by this for whatever reason, not my problem.
It has NOTHING to do with being "dis/respectful".

I myself don't get worked up over someone taunting after he got a kill on me.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
While I don't taunt much myself, it's never really "wrong" to taunt, unless you mean from a mechanical standpoint where it gets you punished. It's a game, if you can beat your opponent by getting under their skin by all means go ahead. Personally I prefer if both sides have a fun time, so I generally don't taunt unless the other player is doing the same or as a greeting, but I have nothing against those who do. Just like everything else, it's part of the game, just learn to deal with it.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I taunt for a whole myriad of reasons, from being disrespectful to just like to seeing my character being cute (puffballs) and anything in between like congratulating after an amazing kill/combo, etc.

People can take it any way they want to, but I am always more than free to do so and so is any other player in the world.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I'll do greeting taunts for dittos and if I'm feeling goofy, but only if my opponent doesn't immediately charge at me. If I'm celebrating my own achievements, I'll only do it at the end of the match or if I just pulled off something awesome. Because if you taunt midmatch and lose, or worse still, you taunt and your opponent doesn't even die, then you just look that much sillier for it.

I'll crouch as Dedede any damn opportunity I get, though.

Last edited:

Django2010

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-2677-4948
I do a greeting taunt to see if they might be nice. Usually I can tell if they are because they'll stop and taunt me back. The ***** just run straight up and hit me, so then I start whailing into them. I also do a taunt if they got an impressive kill on me, usually with Shulk so they know "I'm really feeling it."

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
The only time I taunt at the beginning of the match is during Ryu dittos, and even then that's only if my opponent is willing to do a side taunt fist bump with me to start things off. I don't mind it when other people taunt to start off the match, but I generally don't taunt back and just wait for them to finish their taunt before I start attacking.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
Being a Smash Bros veteran (one of the first Europeans to play it, imported the USA version of Smash 64) I have no problem to teach you all the rules of taunting.

First of all: when you taunt, you're expected to back it up with your skills. And in some scenarios you have no other option than to taunt. You have to taunt. If you don't taunt, you're doing it wrong. Taunts are like a owning a fine expensive wine. You got to know when to open it or else all magic is lost.

1. If you're destroying the opponent, you have to taunt. Those type of matches where you try out new stuff and focus more on the most stylish way to kill the other. In those matches you have to taunt as much as possible so the other knows he sucks. That's important so he has two options: improve or stop playing online. Not taunting means you're tolerating ****ty players and that you're directly responsible for the crappy players in For Glory. You should be ashamed of yourself.

2. The other taunted first. That's a valid reason to taunt back. Taunting in a close battle is lame though. Worse is taunting after you (probably lucky) kill when you're the one getting smashed in point 1.

3. The other taunted because he thought he killed you, but you recovered. That's the most embarrassing taunt there is. Now you got to kill him first and triple taunt to make sure you noticed his lame taunt. Teabags are allowed. Chances are that the other player will leave after the game and cry himself to sleep.

4. The other player is spamming(projectiles, a certain move, grabbing). Spamming is not a legit strategy and frowned upon. Even if you win, it doesn't count. You still suck.

Some of you are thinking right now: 'LOL, but Playerhater, I main Link/Robin/etc. Those characters are supposed to spam!'. Which brings me to:

5. Lame characters. If you see someone playing characters like Link(all versions)/Robin/Spamus/Mewtwo/Dedede/Charizard you have a free pass to taunt. You're wasting my time, now I have to ruin yours. Only return when you learned to play a real character.

6. Scared players. Players who run, turtle up, don't attack(projectiles don't count), don't jump/combo and/or don't move to parts of the stage. Don't be scared homey. Here is a little taunt dance to make you feel comfortable. Or make you feel bad about yourself for playing like a little girl. And if you kill them after you had to chase them for hours, be sure to throw a taunt party.

7. Taunt parties. Always taunt at taunt parties. Don't be a party pooper and behave like a guest.

8. Greeting. It's okay.

If you get mad over taunts, you're probably getting trashed. Which means you should worry about your skills first, bruah. Nobody gets angry over taunts when they're winning.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm an expert in taunting.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If someone taunts at the beginning of a match as a way of saying "hello", then I'll return the favor. Otherwise, I don't taunt at all.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
I will taunt only if someone does it first, it usually happens when i'm in for glory ffa, just focusing on attacking/evading. Shulks do it, Marths do it too, even other characters i see in a match taunt and i do it back as a return. Then sometimes they'll repeatedly duck, me i'll just duck once as a friendly bow before i become alert again.

Top Bottom