• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Do you play Casual, or competitive?

Do you play casual or competitive?

• Competitive

Votes: 46 54.1%
  • Casual

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
@ Scootaloo Elzacryst Scootaloo Elzacryst

I am competitive, but I do want to ask, are you wondering about the percentage of people on this site or are you talking about everyone who bought the game regarding your question about the minority.

On Smashboards it would be interesting to see I suppose (I would guess mostly competitive, though I think competitive means you aim to improve so I use it loosely), but in general I think it is safe to say that the competitive community is the minority if you take into account all buyers of the game. There are many ways and reasons to play a game and playing competitively is just one reason.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I like to play in both ways. I also like to play semi-competitive with some items on, as long as those items aren't lame. In Melee I played with almost every item on, in this new Smash I have to disable lots of items to make it "fair", most of them are too lame.

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
I feel to be somewhere in between since I use the advanced techs and attend tourneys, but at the same time I still enjoy the casual aspects of the game

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Bluntly, there's nothing 'casual' about play with items, and there's nothing 'competitive' about having them off. They're both garbage concepts created by Meleetards that want to feel superior.

I'd even go as far as to say that smart item usage and evasion takes more skill than leaving them out entirely. You have more choices to make, such as whether to chase an off-stage opponent, or cede the immediate KO attempt to gain item control. Contested items like Assist Trophies carry their own risk/reward ratios, since you can't defend on the ground while holding them, and activation takes several frames. Get KOed for trying to make the comeback? Sounds like a bad tactical move to me.

Qnez

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gunzelino
3DS FC
4511-0457-1518
I play mostly serious. I watch tourneys and know how the games work. The only thing is is that I prefer to play with all items on medium and all stages. I still play for glory sometimes and if someone wants to have a 1 on 1 no items match I wouldn't mind it much.

D

Deleted member

Casually Competitive

Most of the time, I like to play with no items on and fight on neutral stages/stages allowed in competitive play with some friends or go in For Glory. I want to get better at the game and reach my maximum potential or even go beyond it. I'm pretty dedicated to the game, I must say.
At the same time, I find that competitive play can be too tiring or even too taxing for me. So, I sometimes like to play the game with items on and go on every stage or play in For Fun.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
If I had to choose between the extremes, I probably would call myself a casual player, but really I would say I'm somewhere in middle. I don't attend tournaments, so in that sense I am definitely not competitive, but I very much play with a competitive mindset online and with my few skilled friends. I watch a fair amount of tournaments, and keep up with developments in the metagame, I just do not have the time or dedication to train to the point where I'm really tournament-ready.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I do not go to tournaments but I play with tournament standards.
So that would mean I'm casual, but a more seasoned casual if anything.

Top Bottom