• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Do you play Casual, or competitive?

Do you play casual or competitive?

• Competitive

Votes: 46 54.1%
  • Casual

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scootaloo Elzacryst

Smash Rookie
I made that poll just now, but I really want to see how many people play competitive or casual, and to see if the "competitive" really is the "minority" (that doesn't really matter, but seeing how many people do play competitively or casually.)

Also, sorry if this isn't in the right spot, or if this gets locked for some reason :(

SuruStorm

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised there's that many on the casual side. I mean, the casual crowd is probably much larger, but I assumed smashboards was like 90% competitors.

SmashManMalone

Smash Rookie
Seeing how this forum is competitive oriented and pretty much scares away most casual players or they outright not give enough of a damn to go forum hunting for something indepth, well, you'll find your statistics lacking. I personally like the crazy antics of stages and items, but also like to go for a few rounds into For Glory, though I wish there was a 2 player for fun with items because of latency issues some times with for friends, that and 2 players tends to feel more personal when not in the same room.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I'm mostly competitive, but I'll definitely play casual with friends who aren't competitive. I respect the casual players.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm a middle ground. While I like playing competitively, I like playing casual as well. They're both amazingly fun and there's lots of options to play either style in each game.

Brawl is very difficult for to play competitively due to poor balance, though. Not an issue with the rest, although I will say it has an overall better course selection over Smash 64 in return. Which had a fairly lackluster set for actual competitive play. That said, if I didn't heavily practice as Ganondorf in Brawl, I wouldn't have been able to quickly adapt to him in Smash 4 right away. Not that it won me the tourney, but it definitely helped me show just how good Ganondorf can be overall. It may also help that I didn't have many immensely strong opponents or that strong counters. But it was my first tourney for Smash 4, and I had fun. I destroyed a Link, and made the other players work hard for their wins. Even the Samus couldn't do it easily. I may have been at a severe disadvantage, but the player had to keep going at a tank to win. And it wasn't easy to take it down. XD

Melee is the only one I played somewhat competitively most of the time, but I also had some very good character options with some pretty strong balance. My main character in Brawl is Wolf, although I have no real chances to pull him out so I can't practice him much. Not an issue with the other 3 games. Brawl is really unpopular in my area. While I can understand many reasons why, it's still a great game in its own right and as long as it has a reasonable enough moveset or played who don't abuse the Ledge Grab, it's pretty fun. That said, I'm probably the only one who wishes the LGL was either different for everyone, or the same for all, so it actually is a fair rule. Many characters are different, and I don't think it makes sense for only Meta Knight to have it lower than the rest. It feels like a copout of the rule itself. Just apply it properly to everyone, or no one. Stop treating him as super special(then again, I really disliked a lot of silly ideas to nerf him. "Let's remove his B buttons!" Just... no. Seriously, that's just telling me that he can't actually be played as in some way that is equal to everyone else without treating him as overpowered by design. Not that he's balanced, but I always felt like it was a cheap way to not ban him. Either treat him as equal as possible or just ban the character. A middle ground is not needed. If he can be fought against on equal grounds and lose against you, it's fine. I won't pretend he isn't an issue overall, but these silly rules made it next to impossible to actually get better against him and further the metagame. IMO, I think this is really what hurt Brawl's metagame.)

I know it's a bit of a rant, but I wanted to get that off my chest. That said, I think every metagame can evolve if they stop putting super arbitrary rules like different LGL for one guy total. Rules do need to exist, but you need to explore the rules a lot more and try to avoid using some to balance only one character. It doesn't actually make them balanced by any means, and it's very clear it didn't even help to change up the winnings to any significant degree.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I made that poll just now, but I really want to see how many people play competitive or casual, and to see if the "competitive" really is the "minority" (that doesn't really matter, but seeing how many people do play competitively or casually.)

Also, sorry if this isn't in the right spot, or if this gets locked for some reason :(
This really needs to have a "both" option. Also, this data won't help you at all because basically anyone signed up to smash boards and going through posts is a pretty serious smash player, AKA competitive. Casual players mostly won't be on smash boards.

Khao

Smash Lord
Sorta none.

Casual would imply that I play a couple of matches every now and then to kill some time and have some quick fun, but I'm very invested in this game. It's the game I've been playing the most lately, and I can play for several hours in one go (if I have enough free time, that is).

I do look up for ways to improve my game, looking for new techniques, seeing what moves work best in what situations, and even watching competitive matches to get some new ideas.

That said, I'm not really a competitive player. I've never been to a Smash tournament and I'm not particularly interested in going to one (by my own, that is, I'd totally go if it was with friends).

So yah, I'm quite invested in this game, I know the mechanics by heart, I have different playstyles and strategies throughout multiple characters, I try to do everything there is to do in the game (challenges, events, that kinda ****), but I'm nowhere close to being a tournament player. When I play in "casual" groups, I'm usually the best player around, but I'd get murdered instantly by any decent tournament player.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Sorta none.

Casual would imply that I play a couple of matches every now and then to kill some time, but I'm very invested in this game. It's the game I've been playing the most lately, and I can play for several hours in one go (if I have enough free time, that is).

I do look up for ways to improve my game, looking for new techniques, seeing what moves work best in what situations, and even watching competitive matches to get some new ideas.

That said, I'm not really a competitive player. I've never been to a Smash tournament and I'm not particularly interested in going to one (by my own, that is, I'd totally go if it was with friends).

So yah, I quite invested in this game, I know the mechanics by heart, I have different playstyles and strategies throughout multiple characters, I try to do everything there is to do in the game (challenges, events, that kinda ****), but I'm nowhere close to being a tournament player. When I play in "casual" groups, I'm usually the best player around, but I'd get murdered instantly by any decent tournament player.
Same here, pretty much.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
I'm casual, but intense casual. I don't go to tournaments or play online, but I still want to be good.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I think you can be casual yet comp. at the same time with smash bros.
for me, competitive always means that you want to fight other players in a competition, winning tournaments and such. People doing this spent countless hours mastering everything there is is the game.
I do not have the time or the will to do that, because I got other things in my head, however I do like to know my characters in and out to perform as well as possible. I just do not strive to learn crazy advanced frame data stuff, that's why I picked "casual" in the poll.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I haven't gone into any tournaments yet but the only reason I'm even playing SSB right now is because of my thirst for competition. I just personally find competition much more fun, it's the time to prove ones skill and I like being the best! Additionally I really love learning more about the game and seeing my improvement. Of course I'll play casually against friends and stuff if they're not into the competitive SSB but I'm just glad to say that I'm probably the best Smash player out of all my friends (soon my school? No... MY CITY!?)

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
I don't really like the word competitive for some reason, but I technically am, considering I prefer to play with no items, non-intrusive stages like Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville, and I've went to a Melee tournament a while ago.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I'm surprised there's that many on the casual side. I mean, the casual crowd is probably much larger, but I assumed smashboards was like 90% competitors.
It is 90% competitors - but you must consider that isn't the competitive subforum.

Also, a competitor myself considering I am a TO and wrote a guide for the games.

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
Sorta none.

Casual would imply that I play a couple of matches every now and then to kill some time and have some quick fun, but I'm very invested in this game. It's the game I've been playing the most lately, and I can play for several hours in one go (if I have enough free time, that is).

So yah, I'm quite invested in this game, I know the mechanics by heart, I have different playstyles and strategies throughout multiple characters, I try to do everything there is to do in the game (challenges, events, that kinda ****), but I'm nowhere close to being a tournament player. When I play in "casual" groups, I'm usually the best player around, but I'd get murdered instantly by any decent tournament player.
What this guy said. Couldn't have said it better.

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
I think a bit of both. I do want to get better at smash, so I look at what are the pros and cons of the character and combos, etc. But I don't really care about things like Wavedashing or whatever the tech is for Smash 4. I'll play online sometimes but I'll gladly just play a regular smash game with items on and everything.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
For me, the answer would be casual. But I'm interested in being good with the characters I use, like most people here. And, as it is, I enjoy pretty much everything Smash has to offer, not just the core gameplay.

I've participated in a tournament before, but only because it was really close to me. I think I'd rather watch tournaments than play them, personally. I'm not willing to spend all that time and effort with the game to go to competitions and all that. I know others are, which is totally fine, but, it's not for me.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Smash is by FAR my favorite video game series ever, and I have owned every version and spent an enormous amount of time playing them all. However, I always play with all items on (unless I'm playing with certain subsets, sometimes I like to use only the most chaotic and destructive items to make things even crazier), and will play on all stages, so I must call myself a casual player. I have zero interest in Smash tournaments.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Competitive... when I have time. I visit smashboards to increase my knowledge on the game, and I like to apply that knowledge as well.

Last edited:

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
Competitive, but not without casual aspects.
generally speaking i often don't stick to super srs gameplay as much as many other competitive people. i often do 4 for alls with friends all the time and also often play non main characters for funsies even in 1v1 settings. in the end i'm more competitive than casual because i really enjoy the prospect of getting better.

Juggale

Smash Rookie
NNID
Juggale
3DS FC
0662-5106-9992
I like being a filthy casual but playing with a competitive mindset with my friends, not the all out mindset but close to it. I wanna get better in 4/3ds mainly because I never got the REAL chance to play the other ones hardcore. I played them but never that much. Now that I have the systems I wanna go all out the best I can.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Despite having the skill level and reaction time of a toddler on crack, I consider myself competitive.

Why? Because the wacky things casual play is associated with are just stressful, not fun, in my eyes. Stage boss shows up, I just have to sit back and wait because I don't want to have to bother derailing the fight to that big lummox. Opponent gets a Gustbellows, I get angry because, even though I was going to lose anyway, I didn't even get the dignity of losing to the actual opponent.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I play to have fun, so I voted "casual", even though this word is being misused here.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I used to be semi-competetive but never had the drive to improve or expand myself. I did go to small tournaments here and there.

I would be interested in going to tournaments here in Japan but I don't have the time or luxury of practicing advanced techniques of traveling to different places. My time is spent working, studying, family, Smashboards, and a small percentage of actual gaming. In fact, I spend more time on this site than playing the game. Last I played it was two weeks ago.

So I'm a casual with in-depth knowledge in competetive topics.

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Sorta none.

Pretty much everything you said also applies to me.

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
Competitive unless I'm playing with non competitive friends, in which case I don't mind bangin out some chill games with items or whatever.

On another note I'm surprised so many smashboards members are casual players. Nothing wrong with that though, you do you and play the game however you want man.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Sometimes I feel like getting better on FG and playing to win, sometimes I feel like loading up 8-Player Smash with Gust Bellows and Smash Balls on high. So there.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I kinda have a competitive/casual ruleset.

Mine is 3 Stock, Smash Ball on Low, no time, tourney legal stages on Random.

We never do timed battles. Screw that

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Why isn't there a "both" option?

I consider myself an adaptive individual, and I can enjoy many things. Even if I am given two things that are polar opposites, I often find ways to appreciate both, especially if they are similar at their core, which they are in this case.

I am incredibly interested in competitive play and if more tournaments happen in my country, I won't miss them like I did Eirtakon's tournament this year.

However, these past two weeks, I have been really sick and mostly couch/bed ridden. So I only played Smash on my GamePad, mostly with a friend in more casual matches where we didn't even really use our mains, or in For Fun, as playing seriously would just give me migraines, I'm sure, since I was susceptible to them. Even when I am not sick, I can play more casually when friends are about.

There are also many other ways I play the game, so to put myself under "casual" or "competitive" alone is incorrect. Really, I'm just a huge Smash fan in general, I enjoy it from many different angles.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
Everyone on this thread said:
I don't go to tournaments, but I consider myself good at Smash. I am not your average casual.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't consider myself just a "typical" casual player as I have a lot of experience with the Smash series and I play the games very often, especially online. I cannot consider myself competitive though, never been to a tournament and don't plan to start up on the competitive scene any time soon. I don't participate in competitive related topics too often either, but I tend to be a relatively quick learner with some characters, so at the very least once I get the hang of them I might try and help build strategies with that.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
Where would I be?

What tends to end up happening in almost every multiplayer game I play

>Competitive

--------> Me

>Casual

... The forever alone category? ;____;