• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Custom Sets for Rosalina (Please Read OP)

Select up to 3 supplemental custom sets. Primary sets are 2311, 1311, and 2313.

• 1113 (Luma Shot, Star Bits, Launch Star, Guardian Luma)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2113 (Luma Warp, Star Bits, Launch Star, Guardian Luma)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
After a week, the previous topic on Rosalina's top custom sets seems to have pretty much wound down. Although that topic was titled Top 8 Custom Sets, @Amazing Ampharos clarified that he wants 2-3 core custom sets and fill up to 6 total with supplementary sets, with 7 and 8 being devoted to 2222 and 3333, respectively.

Before continuing on, I present the final tally of sets sorted by frequency of mention:
  • 2311 x8
  • 1311 x6
  • 2313 x5
  • 2213 x3
  • 1313 x3
  • 2111 x2
  • 2211 x2
  • 1211 x2
  • 1113 x1
  • 2312 x1
  • 2113 x1
  • 1213 x1
  • 2333 x1
It seems clear to me that 2311, 1311, and 2313 are the winners for "core custom sets," so I see little point in making this poll about them. Rather, this poll will be about deciding on 3 supplementary custom sets. These sets will be relatively niche by necessity as the core sets are already spoken for. The goal is to end up with a selection of custom sets that will meet the needs of most Rosalina players at tournaments. Note that under the proposed system we are doing this for, slots 9 and 10 will be left empty for any unrepresented set to be created in, so this poll does NOT represent the elimination of any given custom set from future use. It's purely a matter of efficiency.

In this poll, I have enabled the selection of multiple choices. Since we are trying to narrow down on 3 specific supplementary sets, I ask that you PLEASE restrict your voting to no more than 3 choices. Less is fine, but more defeats the purpose.

Everyone is of course free to discuss and debate their choices in the comments, although I think it should go without saying that it needs to stay civil. (That shouldn't be a problem though.) If there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus based on the poll results, then we'll need that kind of discussion to figure it out.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Apologies for double posting but I wanted to keep a separation between my hopefully-neutral OP and my now-subjective comment about my vote.

I believe 1313, 1211, and 1213 are well suited for supplemental sets. 1313 neatly rounds out the 3 primary sets and forms a nice square with them where, provided you want both Shooting Star Bit and Launch Star, you can have any combination of Luma Shot/Luma Warp and Gravitational Pull/Guardian Luma. Since the 3 primary sets were the most popular, it makes sense to fill out the missing corner.

For the other two I felt it important to give representation to Floaty Star Bit, and of course one needed Gravitational Pull and the other needed Guardian Luma to handle projectile and non-projectile cases, so the only real choice was between Luma Shot and Luma Warp. I went with Luma Shot since I feel Luma Warp is more suited to a fast paced, offensive style and Floaty Star Bit doesn't quite jive with me that way, being more suited as a defensive measure to shut down certain enemy options. At Luma Warp's range, it would be difficult to follow up on a Floaty Star Bit in any event. So my final two choices went to 1211 and 1213.

This isn't gospel and I don't want to unduly influence anyone's vote but I would like to see some discussion going on so hopefully this will kick start it a bit.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I see little point in including Luma Shot over either of the other two custom options in -any- custom set.

Dash attack for long distance and fsmash for short distance overlap and are more reliable than Luma Shot's use cases in every instance except edgeguarding. However, Luma warp, Power shot, Shooting bits, and Floaty bits all function similarly for gimps, and are superior at their respective edgeguarding niche strengths for specific matchups. Luma Shot isn't faster, stronger, or has less cooldown than any of these other options.

The only case I can think of where I'd ever take Luma shot over the other two are if you want the niche edgeguarding uses of one of the star bit customs, but don't take it because you need a different one more in the matchup. To compensate for not taking that custom special, you take Luma shot which covers a similar role... and even then, you're sacrificing the many valuable uses of Luma warp, and the potential uses of Power shot, which brings me to a side point.

Judging by most peoples' reactions to these two moves, I think we need to experiment more with Power Shot and Floaty bits as edgeguarding trap options. I think they're much better than people give them credit for. Their lingering hitboxes can force airdodges and jumps. Floaty bits-> sending out Luma-> Rosalina edgeguard, is a lot of obstacles to keep track of. Luma warp is better as an immediate option. Power shot has potential to mess with a lot of getup options. Floaty bits, while it has a long cooldown, provides a lingering hitbox without having to send out Luma.
---------------------
My core sets right now are 2311, 2211, 2213, and 2313.
I suspect with a lot more practice I'll settle with core sets 2313, 2213, 3313, and 3213.
My supplementary sets, given my current cores include 2111, and 2113.
---------------------
If we use the three most popular sets (2311, 1311, 2313) as a core base, then I vote for 2211, 2213, and 2111 as supplementary sets for now.

@ ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone Thank you for spearheading this project for Rosalina's sets. :)

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
@ DanGR DanGR I've found Luma Shot useful as a long range landing trap against people without reflectors, although this may be down to For Glory's...questionable average skill. The shorter uncharged distance also makes it much more flexible with Luma placement than Luma Warp and I think it lets you place Luma farther from Rosalina than any other option.

That said, its kill power is probably only relevant against people who know it can kill, which is surprisingly not that common yet. So eh.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ DanGR DanGR I've found Luma Shot useful as a long range landing trap against people without reflectors, although this may be down to For Glory's...questionable average skill. The shorter uncharged distance also makes it much more flexible with Luma placement than Luma Warp and I think it lets you place Luma farther from Rosalina than any other option.

That said, its kill power is probably only relevant against people who know it can kill, which is surprisingly not that common yet. So eh.
I don't see the point in trying to trap people that far out. Why not run out there yourself instead of charging Luma shot, and gain stage positioning and cover more of your opponent's options with Rosalina? Also, when they see you charging Luma shot for that long why don't they simply knock Luma away?

I understand using short Luma shot maybe for guarding against ledge getup options against Little Mac who can't knock Luma away easily from the ledge... Maybe also for using short Luma shot into jab combos. Though personally I've phased that tactic out of my book in favor of more aggressive options.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I don't see the point in trying to trap people that far out. Why not run out there yourself instead of charging Luma shot, and gain stage positioning and cover more of your opponent's options with Rosalina? Also, when they see you charging Luma shot for that long why don't they simply knock Luma away?

I understand using short Luma shot maybe for guarding against ledge getup options against Little Mac who can't knock Luma away easily from the ledge... Maybe also for using short Luma shot into jab combos. Though personally I've phased that tactic out of my book in favor of more aggressive options.
/shrug

Like I said, I don't have a huge stake in the matter so...yeah. I'm perfectly happy to go with whatever the majority decides.

Let's change the subject though. Power Luma Shot. Talk to me about that, what do you see in it? Lingering hitboxes are nice but it ties up Luma for ages so I wrote it off as less-than-useful.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Power Luma Shot is god-like when used correctly.

It creates an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS lingering hit box, which gets your opponent flustered especially on a stage like FD, and especially when they are a big guy like Bowser. Luma will also be pretty much invincible, so you don't need to worry about him too much. I also like to dodge back and forth around the thing, generally appearing behind opponents and knocking them into Luma. If opponents try to shoot you or Luma, make sure you're around Luma and just GP. This means you slowly close in on them. Oh, and don't forget the edge-guarding potential.

Power Luma Shot limits your ability to control Luma as a separate entity, but if you are not fond of doing that anyway, then it's really a great option.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So it's been a week and by the poll results it seems that 1313, 2211, and 2213 are the winners.

*confetti*

Last edited:
Top Bottom