• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: After Brawl is released, will you still play Melee?

Smo

Smash Journeyman
You guys, seriously... you're talking like you play melee because of the advanced techs. That's really dumb. I use advanced techs all the time, but just because your precious wavedashing is gone doesn't reduce the fun and quality of the game, surely? it might still even be there. You're treating it like melee was designed to be a competitive multiplayer game alone. It's competitive, sure, but it's also available for the less hardcore players.

smashbros.com is there to sell the game to possible buyers who don't know much about Smash and to tell us about new features. They know that die-hard melee fans are going to buy brawl anyway, so why would they say "you can still disect this game into frame perfect timing and calculations just like melee"? It would just put off new players.

In brawl there will be new advanced techs anyway.

I just think it's sad that the reason people play melee is because it has wave-dashing. They'll keep Z/L-cancelling, they'll keep teching, short-hopping, fast-falling, wall-techs, ledge-hops, everything. These things were all designed to be used anyway.

And changing the mechanics doesn't mean dumbing them down either. It means changing. Like homing tether recoveries. That's a good thing, surely? It means that you can recover with greater ease. Now some elitist ******* is going to say "it makes it too easy and removes all skill". Making the game easier to control is not a bad thing. The game should be challenging because your opponent challenges you, not because the controls are tricky. And holding down A to do consecutive attacks? Just lets you do the same thing as mashing A, but saves your thumb and your A button.

Seriously, I use wave-dashing, L-cancels, SHFFL, Wave-shine, you name it, but I'm not stuck up my arse about the fact that I can do it and make it the reason that I play melee. I play melee to have fun.

Anyway, in brawl, one will be able to turn off items, final smashes and stuff and play on a neutral level. Just now there will be more characters, nice graphics and new elements of play.

I'm all for the moving forward of the SSB series. I'll probably still play melee, because I love that game like no other. But you gotta move with times.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
Smo

you have said everything I wanted to say and I thank you for giving me a reason to continue lurking

phew, that was close

almost had to say something there

crazyloop

Smash Rookie
duh!!!!! i will still play melee. why do you think my nick name is "CRAZY LOOP".
i am the best at melee, i have all charectors, i defeated giga bowser at the end of adventure mode,i have all trophies, i also have unlocked ALL event matches(even #51 the showdown).
and i still like knocking the **** out of my freinds.

SlyShadow

Smash Rookie
I'm going to play Brawl, why? Well....SSBM is fun and all but another 5 years I'd i'll be smashing my face off my gamecube

Binx

Smash Master
i'll buy brawl and see if I like it, I really hope its as good as melee with more characters and more options. So far it looks pretty good, I mean it isnt like I use rapid attacks or anything now, as far as the auto tether that is kind of silly, maybe there will be an option to turn off auto aimed stuff?

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I will because all the super smash brothers games are addictive. 10 years later, I still see myself playing all of them equally

JonnyJinx

Smash Cadet
I doubt I will play Melee again after Brawl, or at least only after much later (just in case I want to revisit past games).

PS4Lthekingofsmash

Smash Rookie
will play Brawl, Melee, and 64. That is like saying while you stop watching old shows when the new seasons come out. Brawl might Jump the Shark IYKWIM.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
Well... I will play sometimes, but I'll mostly play Brawl.

Why?

Mainly just because Brawl will most likely have the advanced techs, since 99% of techs aren't glitches. Take for example, wavedashing. They programmed it so you keep your momentum from the airdodge to the ground, just like in real life. We then just jump and airdodge really really quickly. ASAP, actually, which is just before you jump. L-canceling was programmed, since they saw that Z-canceling helped with the tourney scene, which gives popularity to Smash, which gets more sales. Also, SHFFLing is just SHing (intentional, look at the AI which sometimes does it, and look at Marth's classic mode completion video, he does a short hop with a nair), L-canceling, which is intentional, and FFing, which as always been with us. Oh yeah, and with the ken combo, I doubt they'd wanna piss him off. Marth will most likely be in, since he is so freaking popular that removing him would not be good. Marth would probably be an unlockable, though... but he will most likely be in.

Oh, and they'll most likely improve Bowser. Or I shall destroy them. >:D

And, online would keep me going. I'd still gotta play Melee sometimes though, so yes, I'd still play....

(P.S. If brawl has online, after a couple months, since they will most likely have a skill ranking system, like with MKDS did a decent version, if they make a good ranking system, and actually apply it (why didn't you apply MSC's ranking system? ><;), then you wouldn't have to worry about advanced techs much, you could just play how you want, so that would satisfy that issue... Let's just hope they do that, so I can enjoy my advanced techs while people don't have to bother with them.......)

P.S. I said no fact here, just opinion. So don't think I'm saying fact, it's all just opinion.

Now excuse me, I'm gonna play Melee some more.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Won't have a Wii, will buy one some time after Brawl is released, so yeah, I'll continue playing at least until then. Most likely I'll reset my memory card and start Melee again when I get bored of Brawl - that's what I did with SSB.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
No. I just won't. Melee plays nowhere near as well as the 64 smash bros, and Brawl looks more solid.

In Melee, all the characters are made of pudding.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The real smash fans will play all three, and they're all great, for sure! :) Seriously, if you don't continue playing Melee, even once in a while you aren't a true smasher [unless you don't own it or something]. Same goes with SSB64=c'mon, not playing those is dumb, even if Brawl is better. We virtually know like .1% of the whole f***ing game, and people are already giving up Melee and SSB64. That is stupid, flat out stupid. At least play them all once in a while, because there will be things we like in Melee or SSB64 more than Brawl. Like the insane DI in SSB64 I liked more, along with Mario's uncontrolable spam skillz! :)

Melee will probably have a more close quaters fighting, while Brawl...well...we know virtually nothing about. Seriously we know like 2/5th the roster, 1/4th the stages, 1/100th the items, 1/5th the music, the controls, and like 5 to 10 new features out of probably a few dozen more. We're already giving up Melee adn SSB64 over a game no one outside of Nintendo has played, we haven't played, and we've yet to...o IDK...see a ACTUAL SSB FIGHT! XD Seriously, keep playing SSB64, keep playing Melee, like a real smasher, even if just once in a while.

Because the player who plays all three is 300 times happier than the player who plays only one. That goes for ALL of, SSB64, SSB Melee, and self-proclaimed SSB Brawl only players. ;) Only playing one is pointless, end of discussion. All three is the way to go, even if you only play one or two of the smashes like once a month. :) Can't wait for Melee to be a ROM in like 10 years=online! [hopefully Brawl has online off the start] XD

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
I will definitely still be playing Melee. It is something we ALREADY know is competitive and fun. Regardless of WHATEVER game may come out, Melee WILL STILL BE AS FUN AS IT IS ALREADY.

Top Bottom