• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Pokken Meta

obscurica

Smash Rookie
On one hand, sure, the difference is only a few points' worth of difference. On the other hand, from what we saw at FR19, a few points can and will make or break what seems to be many close sets. It also affects ranked play by giving an edge to players based on externalities instead of innate skill.

It's not necessarily a huge deal -- in LAN play, you can turn skill points off, so tournaments aren't affected -- but huge or not it's still a detriment to ranked play. Hoping future patches take it out.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd almost rather have a cheat code to unlock everything + max out everybody's levels for local play then cut it altogether. They seem quite intent on making us use the customizations this time around... Wouldn't be that unreasonable to use if they did.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I'd almost rather have a cheat code to unlock everything + max out everybody's levels for local play then cut it altogether. They seem quite intent on making us use the customizations this time around... Wouldn't be that unreasonable to use if they did.
When you enter LAN mode, all characters, supports, and stages are automatically unlocked. The skill levels are not, but the skill points are leftover from an arcade gimmick anyway. Basically, you had an ID card that used Amiibo technology that stored your character info on there, including skill points. That's also why the Story Mode is structured the way it is, but that isn't here nor there.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I knew the skill points were from the arcade version, but didn't know everything got unlocked in LAN mode.

Now I'm kinda baffled as to why they're not unlocked with everything else... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the arcade version has a ranked online mode and they're allowed there too, right? That would mean they're the norm for every style of play besides console offline.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I knew the skill points were from the arcade version, but didn't know everything got unlocked in LAN mode.

Now I'm kinda baffled as to why they're not unlocked with everything else... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the arcade version has a ranked online mode and they're allowed there too, right? That would mean they're the norm for every style of play besides console offline.
I think it has to do with the fact that once the skill points are earned, they can be freely allocated through a menu for each individual Pokemon. LAN mode is really only going to be used if the players want to play seriously (i.e. tournaments and the such), so the developers likely didn't bother because there wouldn't be a demand for it.

I'm in the camp that thinks that skill points really only serve as an incentive to play as a Pokemon a lot in single-player and nowhere else. If they were meant to be used in competitive, they'd be designed with competitive in mind. But they're pretty clearly designed as a single-player objective, IMO.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
From those matches Omagoma at least seemed to be doing alright, but then he'd make a questionable move or two and that was it. I need to do this myself, but I want to see more normals cause Chandelure's low light hits quite a ways and his anti-air is friggen' great, though Flame Burst serves just as well.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Very impressive showings from Shillo (Braixen, Mewtwo, Blaziken and R. Pikachu Libre) and Bim (Garchomp/Lucario, the latter exclusively for GFs), running the full character/CP gauntlet in GFs no less.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
This is kinda out of the blue, but could someone link me the pokken boards site? I wanna learn about the game before I get it..

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Advertising/asking for links to other competing sites isn't allowed here (on top of being off topic).

Shouldn't be too hard to use a search engine to find "Pokken boards"

Anything you want to know can be asked here, fyi.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Advertising/asking for links to other competing sites isn't allowed here (on top of being off topic).

Shouldn't be too hard to use a search engine to find "Pokken boards"

Anything you want to know can be asked here, fyi.
Thoughts on the Zard vs braixen/zonerMU. I've have had trouble against this character with my Sceptile and wondered how another character handled it.

Top Bottom