• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon's Newest Hidden Horror: Infinity Energy

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
While I still think Black and White has the most messed up plot (as in "this is a kid's game?", not badly written) with a kid being shut off from humanity to mould him into a false saviour, Gen 6 introduced a plot point that raises a lot of questions: Infinity Energy.

In X/Y in the distant past the King of Poke-France used the life energy of many Pokemon (specifically from their dead bodies), to do incredible feats like resurrecting the dead and making a pre-Christ nuke. Pretty horrifying but standard super-weapon style stuff. Things get screwier when we go on to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

We found out the Devon Corporation, who in the original game didn't do much besides make new Pokeballs, built their entire fortune and business model off of Infinity Energy. They use it to power the submarine used to find Groudon/Kyogre, the rockets at the Space Center and the initial plan to stop the meteor was to fire a rockets full of it into space to create a worm-hole.

To summarise, in this perfect happy bouncy world where firearms don't exist, they are sapping the energy of living creatures to power anything more complicated than a van. And it's not a "bad guy" thing. This is how that world works.

How do they get this energy from the Pokemon? Are they alive when it happens? Do they survive the process if so? Is it like a parallel universe where the only way to get uranium is to extract it from bunny rabbits?

Lavender Town still scary?

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Hmm, when you put it that way, wow, Pokémon is getting dark! I always thought that gen V's plot was an outlier in that kind of thing, but now I realize that gen VI is close behind! I actually like it because the younger audience which the game is mainly marketed towards doesn't realize that there are these darker themes going on. I know this for sure since I have a bunch of young relatives who play pokemon, and they completely missed those details in gen V. Heck, one of them still thought that N was a bad guy and missed the plot twist at the end completely! However, teens and adults can usually pick up on these darker underlying themes, making it entertaining to play through the game for all age groups. I hope they continue to do this in future games.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Further adding to the creepiness is that in Sea Mauville (what is commentary on Japanese working conditions doing in an escapist fantasy anyway?) there's a discarded bottle of Serviper Extract. They were making drinks out of that ****.

finalark

SNORLAX
No, now it's a gloomy power plant.

EDIT: Speaking of creepy stuff in the gen VI games, why did someone at Game Freak feel the need to fill Mauville with heavily implied adult woes? Why is there loan collecting and talk of mortgages in my children's monster enslavement game?

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
It wasn't scary to begin with, and it certainly isn't now.
Though... this whole "Infinite Energy" stuff... unless they somehow can artificially make it, that must mean... well, it's resulting in more pals for the Marowak ghost. More than needed too, I might add.

:094:

Last edited:
Top Bottom